The ASP.NET FAQ

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Juan T. Llibre, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. Welcome to the ASP.NET FAQ.
    The online version of this FAQ is at http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Thank you for reading this FAQ!
    Use it to improve your online experience.

    The Microsoft Public Newsgroups allow users of Microsoft products to exchange technical
    information and expertise. Please avoid personal attacks, slurs and profanity in your
    posts.

    A FAQ is a list of Frequently Answered Questions;
    This is a guide to using this newsgroup intelligently in order to find answers to your
    ASP.NET questions.

    The kind of answer you get to your questions depends on the way
    you ask the questions as well as on the difficulty of writing the answer.

    This FAQ will show you how to ask questions in a way that is likely to get you the answer
    you want to get : the right answer.

    You have to do your part, too, if this is going to work out in such a way
    that you *learn* what you need to learn, instead of getting ready-made answers
    which you will promptly forget and need to ask for them again.

    With that in mind, the first FAQ recommendation is that you use search engines
    to find out if the question you intend to ask has been already answered in newsgroups.

    Use resources like :

    Google Groups Advanced Search ( http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search )
    MSN Search ( http://www.msn.com/ )

    to search for the text of the problem which is stumping you,
    and save everybody the waste of time that asking a FAQ entails.

    Remember : thousands of programmers will read your post. Be considerate of their time.

    1. General ASP.NET Questions

    1.1 What is ASP.NET?

    ASP.NET is a technology for creating dynamic Web pages which uses the .Net Framework.

    You can author applications in any .NET compatible language, including Visual Basic .NET,
    C#, and JScript .NET, and many others listed at
    http://www.dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx .

    1.2 Where can I get ASP.NET?

    You can get ASP.NET by installing the Microsoft .NET Framework on a computer which has IIS
    installed.
    The .NET Framework is available in either a redistributable or SDK format.

    ASP.NET 2.0, currently in Beta, will be released the first week in November, 2005.

    1.3 I've installed the .NET Framework, but ASP.NET doesn't seem to work.
    What can I do to fix it?

    You must install IIS before you install the .NET Framework.

    If you install IIS after you install the .NET Framework,
    you must then register the ASP.NET extensions with IIS.

    You can do this by running the aspnet_regiis executable from:
    %windows root directory%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\%version of the .NET
    Framework%\aspnet_regiis -i

    Where %windows root directory% is the directory Windows is installed to
    (normally c:\windows or c:\winnt) and %version of the .NET Framework%
    is the version of the .NET Framework you have installed.

    The directory for .NET 1.0 is v1.0.3705 ; for 1.1 it's v1.1.4322 and for Beta 2, it's
    v2.0.50215.

    It's always a good idea to try to find the answer to your question by reading the
    documentation.
    Yes, Read The Manual! The ASP.NET Quickstarts have many answers and samples.

    You can install a local copy of the QuickStarts by installing the ASP.NET SDK.

    The ASP.NET 1.1 SDK is available at :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a6-3647-4070-9f41-a333c6b9181d&displaylang=en

    The ASP.NET 2.0 SDK comes with the VS.NET Beta :
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/

    If you can't install local copies of the ASP.NET QuickStart,

    the ASP.NET 1.1 QuickStart is available online at :
    http://www.asp.net/Tutorials/quickstart.aspx

    The ASP.NET 1.1 Starter Kits are available at :
    http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=8&tabid=47

    The ASP.NET 2.0 QuickStart is available online at :
    http://beta.asp.net/quickstart/aspnet/Default.aspx

    The ASP.NET Beta 2 Starter Kits are available at :
    http://www.asp.net/vwd/starterkits.aspx?tabIndex=4&tabId=46

    Always try to find an answer by experimenting with the code.
    The .NET Framework Class Browser is of great assistance to help you do this.

    The .NET Framework 1.1 Class Browser is available at :
    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/samples/classbrowser/CS/ClassBrowser.aspx
    and also at :
    http://www.csharpfriends.com/quickstart/aspplus/samples/classbrowser/vb/classbrowser.aspx

    The .NET Framework 2.0 Class Browser is available at :
    http://beta.asp.net/quickstart/util/classbrowser.aspx

    MSDN has all the ASP.NET documentation and Knowledge Base articles online.

    Search MSDN for ASP.NET and .Net Framework questions at:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/

    Search the MSDN Beta 2 documentation at: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/default.aspx

    Major changes to ASP.NET and VS.NET going from Beta 2 --> RTM :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/beta2/beta2rtmchanges/default.aspx

    2. Newsgroup Questions

    2.1 What subjects are appropriate in this newsgroup?

    Any subject which relates to programming, installing or configuring ASP.NET.
    Please don't post questions unrelated to ASP.NET.

    ASP.NET is not the same as ASP. If you have questions relating to "Classic ASP",
    post them in the ASP newsgroups, e.g. microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general.

    We encourage the posting of links to free ASP.NET controls/assemblies you have developed,
    but request that commercial product availabilities be sent to :

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.announcements

    Otherwise, your post will be deleted as SPAM.

    2.2 How to write your post

    a. Make the "Subject" a short, relevant summary of your problem

    b. Make sure you describe your problem accurately.
    Please post the exact code which is failing/generating your error.
    That will help others find the solution to your problem.

    c. Deal with one problem at a time.
    If you have more than one problem, post it separately.

    d. Make sure you include the version of ASP.NET and the
    operating system you are using. This *really* helps others help you!

    If the problem is a browser-related problem, include the relevant
    browser identity and operating system information.

    e. If you are getting an error message, include the error number and its text.

    f. Tell us what you have already tried to do to solve the problem.

    2.3 How not to write your post

    a. Avoid cross-posting, unless your problem applies to more than one newsgroup.

    b. Never post identical messages with different subjects.
    This is a sure way to get your posts ignored.

    c. Don't post your message in ALL CAPITALS. It's very hard to read.
    This is another sure way to get your posts ignored.

    d. Don't use unclear subject lines which don't summarize a problem, like these:

    HEEEELLLLPPP!!!!!
    Need help please.
    Any experts here?

    This is yet another sure way to get your posts ignored.

    e. Don't ask for an email reply. The basis for peer-to-peer help newsgroups
    like this one is for *everybody* to be helped by the answers provided.

    f. Don't flame anyone, period. Nobody needs that in technical newsgroups.
    If something, or someone, irks you, ignore the post.

    Please treat all participants with respect, valuing divergent views and contrary
    opinions.
    Be polite. Share your perspectives to question ideas and stimulate interesting
    discussions.

    g. The ASP.NET newsgroups, like all Microsoft public ng's, are unmoderated.

    From time to time, there will be totally off-topic posts from trolls, spammers,
    pornographers, etc. Please don't reply to these posts, as it's a waste of time.

    Instead, killfile the poster if the post bothers you.

    Microsoft has an anti-spam program in effect, and spam messages
    are eliminated by a community program, but it's difficult to detect
    some SPAM messages. Have patience and don't reply to any SPAM message.

    We will get to it, and delete it.

    2.4 Dealing with replies to your post

    a. Trim unnecessary text from the replies to your posts, leaving just enough to
    get the context of the reply and the original problem. This is greatly
    appreciated by the people who are trying to help you, since it saves them time.

    b. Analyze the suggestion you were given, and test to see whether it solves the problem.

    c. If the problem isn't solved by the suggestion, explain why in a follow-up reply.

    2.5 After you get your answer...

    a. Confirm whether the proposed solution worked or not.

    b. Thank the poster who gave you the answer to your question.

    For people who spend their free time, unpaid, helping others in
    peer-to-peer newsgroups, there's nothing better than to get a "Thank you".

    Your "Thank you" is also helpful to others reading about your problem
    because they see that the solution sent to you *did* work.

    ASP.NET links :

    Learning ASP.NET : http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/learn/

    ASP.NET Developer Center : http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/

    ASP.NET Developer Center Archive : http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/archive/default.aspx

    ASP.NET Forums : http://forums.asp.net/ ( Online ASP.NET Forum )

    ASP.NET 1.1 Support Center : http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6351

    ASP.NET Security Practices :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/PAGPractices0001.asp

    ASP.NET Security How Tos :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/SecurityHowTosIndex.asp

    ADO.NET Support Center : http://support.microsoft.com/adonet

    SQL Server Developer Center : http://msdn.microsoft.com/SQL/

    IIS Tips and Hints : http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=9&tabid=48

    Please ask VS2005 questions at http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ , and not in this ASP.NET
    newsgroup.

    ASP.NET 2.0 questions can be posted either here or at :
    http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=26

    Official FAQs and Developer Resources :

    ASP.NET Beta 2 FAQ : http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/beta2/faq/default.aspx

    ..NEt Framework Developer Center : http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/

    VB Developer Center : http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/

    C# Developer Center : http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/

    J# Developer Center : http://msdn.microsoft.com/vjsharp/

    New ASP.NET Developer? See : http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/learn/newtodevelopment/

    Free Learning Courses from Microsoft : http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2005/learning/

    Selected MSDN Technical Articles on ASP.NET :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/articles/default.aspx

    Full Index to MSDN ASP.NET articles :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/archive/default.aspx

    Free Online Book : Improving .Net Application Performance and Scalability:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenet.asp

    Dedicated ASP.NET newsgroups at msnews.microsoft.com ( Microsoft's public nntp server ):

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.datagridcontrol
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.announcements

    The general .NET Framework newsgroup is : microsoft.public.dotnet.framework

    The ADO.Net newsgroup is : microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet

    The newsgroups for SQL Server and MSDE are :
    microsoft.public.sqlserver.server and microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde

    If you have a question which would fit better at one of the
    above newsgroups, consider posting it in the appropiate one(s).

    You can also use the HTML interface to the Microsoft Discussion Groups :

    Other FAQs and Developer Resources :

    Connection Strings : http://www.connectionstrings.com/

    SQL Server Forums : http://www.sqlmonster.com/

    DotNetJunkies : http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/

    ASP.NET at 4GuysFromRolla : http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/

    ASP.NET at the ASP Alliance :
    http://aspalliance.com/articles/LearnASPNET.aspx
    http://aspalliance.com/articles/LearnControls.aspx

    W3Schools ASP.NET Tutorial : http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/default.asp

    Egghead Cafe : http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.asp

    123aspx ASP.NET Directory : http://www.123aspx.com/

    411 ASP.NET Resource Directory : http://www.411asp.net/

    ..NET 247 Assembly References and Discussions :
    http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/default.aspx

    ..Net Framework FAQ : http://www.andymcm.com/dotnetfaq.htm

    Jon Skeet's C# FAQ and articles : http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/

    OdeToCode.com
    Articles : http://odetocode.com/Articles/default.aspx
    Resources : http://odetocode.com/Resources/default.aspx

    Karl Seguin's ASP.NET articles : http://www.openmymind.net/MyArticles.aspx

    Steve Orr's list of free controls : http://steveorr.net/freecontrols/

    C# FAQ for C++ programmers : http://www.andymcm.com/csharpfaq.htm

    Free eBook : VB.NET Fundamentals, Sheriff and Getz :
    http://platform.innerworkings.com/public/vbrun/setup/VBNETFundamentals.msi

    ASP.NET Version Switcher : http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

    We are working on a FAQ for specific programming questions.
    When it's ready, we will include a link to it in this FAQ.

    If you wish to submit a FAQ for inclusion in the ASP.NET FAQ,
    please e-mail or reply to this FAQ.

    Don't forget to trim your reply ! :)

    This FAQ will be published every week in the Microsoft public newsgroups which have
    *aspnet* in their name.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Juan T. Llibre

    Alan Silver Guest

    >Welcome to the ASP.NET FAQ.
    >The online version of this FAQ is at http://asp.net.do/faq/

    I, like many others here welcome a FAQ very much, but I would like to
    make a usability request. Please can you improve the interface of the
    FAQ. By that I mean such things as a clearer font, a more attractive
    colour scheme (yes it does make a difference when reading, it's not just
    eye candy) and, most important, have some way of making the questions
    stand out from the answers. This last one could be done (and would have
    massive side-benefits) by having a list of questions, which are links to
    the answers, rather than having a long page with everything on in one
    block.

    Ultimately, splitting it down into sections would be mighty useful as I
    reckon this is going to grow and grow. I know it's a bit more work, but
    it will save a lot of work later, and improve the usefulness of the FAQ
    no end.

    See http://www.aspfaq.com/ for a really well organised FAQ. I know this
    has been going for a lot longer, but it's worth aiming at a high quality
    resource. It's going to be hard enough to get people to read the FAQ
    anyway, we don't want to put them off by making it hard.

    Please note that this is *not* meant as criticism. I appreciate very
    much the hard work that has gone in to making the FAQ so far. This is
    meant as constructive comments to improve it even more.

    Ta ra

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Sep 11, 2005

  3. Thanks for your comments, Alan.

    Strangely enough, when I go to http://www.aspfaq.com/ ,
    using Firefox, IE and Maxthon, the page is blank.

    Is there a problem with the site ?

    As for your comments :

    > Please can you improve the interface of the FAQ.

    Sure. It's just plain vanilla right now.
    There's sections, breaks and headers coming.

    re:
    > have some way of making the questions stand out from the answers. This last one could be
    > done (and would have massive side-benefits) by having a list of questions, which are
    > links to the answers, rather than having a long page with everything on in one block.

    This will have to wait for the next version of the FAQ, which will include
    the most-commonly asked ASP.NET questions with their answers.

    This current effort is just a listing of things to do and things not to do
    when posting + a list of good ASP.NET resources, with only a few,
    very basic, Q & A items included ( 3, to be exact... ).

    This week ( I'm posting it tomorrow ) I've added a list of ASP.NET blogs.

    The next version will be similar to http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
    which is now not maintained, unfortunately.

    *That* is what I refer to in the next-to-last item in the FAQ :

    > We are working on a FAQ for specific programming questions. When it's ready, we will
    > include a link to it in this FAQ.

    In sum, I agree with you : there's usability improvements needed,
    but they will need to be centered around the next version of the
    ASP.NET FAQ, which will be dedicated to Questions and Answers.

    btw, do you think a wiki-type FAQ would be a worthwhile effort ?

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ==========================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 11, 2005
  4. Juan T. Llibre

    Alan Silver Guest

    >Thanks for your comments, Alan.
    >
    >Strangely enough, when I go to http://www.aspfaq.com/ ,
    >using Firefox, IE and Maxthon, the page is blank.
    >
    >Is there a problem with the site ?

    Dunno, I just checked it in IE6 and it showed fine.

    >As for your comments :
    >
    >> Please can you improve the interface of the FAQ.

    >Sure. It's just plain vanilla right now.
    >There's sections, breaks and headers coming.

    Jolly good. I expected you'd say that, but I just thought I'd raise the
    issue in case ;-)

    >re:

    <snip>
    >The next version will be similar to http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
    >which is now not maintained, unfortunately.

    That's exactly the sort of thing I meant (except for the rather garish
    background colour!!). I didn't know about this site, shame it's been
    left to wither, it could have been used as the basis for a great FAQ. Oh
    well, as long as you are replacing it then all's well.

    >*That* is what I refer to in the next-to-last item in the FAQ :
    >
    >> We are working on a FAQ for specific programming questions. When it's
    >>ready, we will
    >> include a link to it in this FAQ.

    >In sum, I agree with you : there's usability improvements needed,
    >but they will need to be centered around the next version of the
    >ASP.NET FAQ, which will be dedicated to Questions and Answers.

    Fine. I know it's early days. I think we all look forward to a more
    complete version. I remember when I was big into ASP Classic, the FAQ
    was very useful for obscure issues, as well as a quick pointer for
    people asking FAQs in the n/groups.

    >btw, do you think a wiki-type FAQ would be a worthwhile effort ?

    Hmm, good question. The problem with a wiki is that anyone can change it
    (obviously!!), which can be a detrimental factor in a FAQ. You really
    need FAQ entries to be clear and concise. If someone has a comment on
    the content of a FAQ, it is usually better directed to the FAQ author
    who can decide if the suggested correction is fair. If you allow it to
    be a free-for-all, I think the FAQ would end up being useless for its
    main purpose.

    Imagine if our latest troll had visited the wiki and filled up every FAQ
    with his opinions of ASP.NET and how it can all be done better with
    render functions!!

    So after waffling, I think the answer (IMHO) is no. I would prefer to
    see a normal FAQ, but with a feedback mechanism where people can make
    comments, or request items to be included. These would all get send to
    the FAQ maintainer who would decide what to do with them.

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Sep 11, 2005
  5. Thanks!

    Your comments help.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 11, 2005
  6. See if you like the interface better now, Alan.

    http://asp.net.do/faq/

    ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 13, 2005
  7. Juan T. Llibre

    Alan Silver Guest

    >See if you like the interface better now, Alan.
    >
    >http://asp.net.do/faq/
    >
    >;-)

    That's fantastic!! It's amazing how much more usable it is with a nice
    design.

    One more comment - the general ASP.NET info questions section would
    still benefit from having all the questions as links at the top. That
    way you could scan them and see if your question is answered. The links
    would just point further down the page where the questions and answers
    would be shown exactly as you have them now.

    As this section of the FAQ grows (I presume this is where the questions
    that are actually asked frequently in the n/g would go), this could be
    split into subpages, each with the same format.

    An excellent resource. Please keep up the good work. I suggest a call to
    all users of the group to contribute what they feel are good candidates
    for the FAQ. That will save you a lot of work as you won't have to write
    them all, and it will hopefully fill up the FAQ with the sorts of
    questions that actually do get asked here regularly. That way, when they
    get asked, we can just provide an URL that points to the answer. If
    people post their suggestions in the group, we can all discuss them
    before they put in the FAQ. We did this in another group I was in years
    ago, and we built a great FAQ very quickly thanks to a joint effort by
    the regulars.

    Thanks again for your efforts. Ta ra
    alan

    P.S. Just noticed - the blogs page has a list of names, but no
    explanation of who they are or why people might be interested in their
    blogs. Maybe a short line or two would help here? Just like to keep you
    busy!!

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Sep 13, 2005
  8. Juan T. Llibre

    Alan Silver Guest

    >that's an excellent suggestion

    <blush>
    Why thanks!!
    </blush>

    Actually, I can't really take credit for it. We did it in another
    newsgroup and it worked really well. I think some of my ramblings are
    still in that FAQ!!

    --
    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Sep 13, 2005
  9. re:
    > One more comment - the general ASP.NET info questions section would still benefit from
    > having all the questions as links at the top.

    That *will* happen...in V2 of the FAQ.
    The next step is to add a "Q & A" section.

    That will entail, however, designing a database structure to host the info,
    so it will be some time before it's ready. How much time ? I don't know.

    Hopefully, I will be able to do it soon.

    re:
    > As this section of the FAQ grows (I presume this is where the questions that are
    > actually asked frequently in the n/g would go),

    Right, but as part of the ASP.NET Q & A section of the FAQ.

    The "Basic Info" page will stay as it is.

    I want the info for beginners to be easily locatable,
    and having a dedicated page for "Basic Info" is good,
    so that the absolute beginner knows exactly where to go

    re:
    > this could be split into subpages, each with the same format.

    I did one for "Classic ASP", and am working on porting it to ASP.NET.

    It had a "drill-down" model, with the basic categories in a dropdown list,
    which would display a list of questions for each category, but also had
    a keyword search capability.

    One thing which I think is important is to have demos of each Q&A,
    and source code views ( for the FAQs which require sample code ).

    That is, potentially, the most time-consuming part.

    re:
    > An excellent resource. Please keep up the good work.

    Thanks. I hope it fulfills a good function for the ASP.NET community.

    re:
    > I suggest a call to all users of the group to contribute what they feel are good
    > candidates for the FAQ.

    If the contributions come in, it will make the FAQ more useful.

    I wish everybody would get involved, as this is, potentially,
    a strong resource. There's some online FAQs, but they are
    not as complete as what I think they should be.

    My intent is to have an ad-free site for as long as I can,
    so I hope to get the necessary collaboration to make it
    as complete -and as fast-loading (no ads) - as possible.

    re:
    > That way, when they get asked, we can just provide an URL that points to the answer.

    That's the way it will work.

    re:
    > P.S. Just noticed - the blogs page has a list of names, but no explanation of who they
    > are or why people might be interested in their blogs. Maybe a short line or two would
    > help here?

    Hey, if they're there...they are important ! :)
    I have to leave some incentive to click the blog links and find out why!

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 13, 2005
  10. Juan T. Llibre

    Alan Silver Guest

    Juan,

    Thanks for the reply. Just a few more comments...

    >> this could be split into subpages, each with the same format.

    >I did one for "Classic ASP", and am working on porting it to ASP.NET.
    >
    >It had a "drill-down" model, with the basic categories in a dropdown list,
    >which would display a list of questions for each category, but also had
    >a keyword search capability.

    Excellent.

    >One thing which I think is important is to have demos of each Q&A,
    >and source code views ( for the FAQs which require sample code ).

    That's a very good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

    >That is, potentially, the most time-consuming part.

    Yup, but the one where you could most benefit from everyone here
    chipping in.

    >re:
    >> I suggest a call to all users of the group to contribute what they
    >>feel are good
    >> candidates for the FAQ.

    >If the contributions come in, it will make the FAQ more useful.

    If I were you, I would post a new message asking people for suggestions.
    Once they are posted publicly, others could comment and you would see
    what people feel are the most useful questions.

    >I wish everybody would get involved, as this is, potentially,
    >a strong resource. There's some online FAQs, but they are
    >not as complete as what I think they should be.

    I'm sure they will, given the encouragement!!

    >re:
    >> P.S. Just noticed - the blogs page has a list of names, but no
    >>explanation of who they
    >> are or why people might be interested in their blogs. Maybe a short
    >>line or two would
    >> help here?

    >Hey, if they're there...they are important ! :)

    Important, yup, unexplained, yup!!

    Seriously, just listing the names will mean nothing to a newbie. They
    won't have time to start reading through each one to find out who they
    are and why their blog is worth reading. I've been at this a while and I
    still don't know. I recognise names, but wouldn't know where to look if
    I wanted info on some particular aspect.

    >I have to leave some incentive to click the blog links and find out why!

    Unfortunately, I reckon most people either wouldn't bother, or would
    only get as far as the first or (possibly) second.

    >Thanks for your comments, Alan!

    Pleasure. Thanks again for your efforts.

    Alan Silver

    Alan Silver, Sep 13, 2005
  11. :)

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 13, 2005