The ASPN compiler

Discussion in 'Python' started by Fuzzyman, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    What's the score on this (the ASPN python compiler) - is it a true
    compiler for python ? - what does it output - binary or C++ for .NET
    framework............ if the latter then it could be very cool as it
    may work with the PocketPC 2003 SDK.... for producing binaries for
    PDAs from python... cool...
    (I'm sure my terminology is way out of line here... sorry)

    Does it work yet ?

    Fuzzyman
    ---
    Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
    Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy. -Milan Kundera

    http://www.voidspace.org.uk
    Where Headspace Meets Cyberspace
    Cyberpunk and Science Resource Site
    Exploring the worlds of Psychology, Spirituality, Science and Computing
    --
    http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk

    Fuzzyman, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Fuzzyman wrote:
    > What's the score on this (the ASPN python compiler)

    There was a proof-of-concept implementation of a Python compiler for the
    ..NET platform done by ActiveState and sponsored by Microsoft.

    > - is it a true
    > compiler for python ?

    Read the whitepaper, available on the ActiveState site.

    > - what does it output - binary or C++ for .NET
    > framework............

    Read the whitepaper, available on the ActiveState site.

    > if the latter then it could be very cool as it
    > may work with the PocketPC 2003 SDK.... for producing binaries for
    > PDAs from python... cool...

    Forget it. Instead what you probably want is a Python implementation for
    Windows CE 3.0. There is one.

    > (I'm sure my terminology is way out of line here... sorry)
    >
    > Does it work yet ?

    Read the whitepaper, available on the ActiveState site.

    RTFM. STFW. etc. :p

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:21:33 +0200, Gerhard Häring <>
    wrote:

    >Fuzzyman wrote:
    >> What's the score on this (the ASPN python compiler)

    >There was a proof-of-concept implementation of a Python compiler for the
    >.NET platform done by ActiveState and sponsored by Microsoft.
    >
    >> - is it a true
    >> compiler for python ?

    >Read the whitepaper, available on the ActiveState site.

    Done that - its not entirely clear - any chance you could answer the
    question......

    >> - what does it output - binary or C++ for .NET
    >> framework............

    >Read the whitepaper, available on the ActiveState site.

    Done that - its not entirely clear - any chance you could answer the
    question......

    >> if the latter then it could be very cool as it
    >> may work with the PocketPC 2003 SDK.... for producing binaries for
    >> PDAs from python... cool...

    >Forget it. Instead what you probably want is a Python implementation for
    >Windows CE 3.0. There is one.

    Not for the SH3 processor... doesn't produce binaries.

    >> (I'm sure my terminology is way out of line here... sorry)
    >>
    >> Does it work yet ?

    >Read the whitepaper, available on the ActiveState site.
    >
    >RTFM. STFW. etc. :p
    >
    >-- Gerhard

    ATFQ

    :)

    Fuzzyman

    ---

    Fuzzyman, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Fuzzyman wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:21:33 +0200, Gerhard Häring <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Fuzzyman wrote:
    >>
    >>>What's the score on this (the ASPN python compiler)

    >>There was a proof-of-concept implementation of a Python compiler for the
    >>.NET platform done by ActiveState and sponsored by Microsoft.
    >>
    >>>- is it a true
    >>>compiler for python ?

    >>Read the whitepaper, available on the ActiveState site.

    > Done that - its not entirely clear - any chance you could answer the
    > question......

    The resulting output can be executed by the .NET runtime and two-way
    interoperability between Python and .NET is currenty possible according
    to that paper.

    >>>- what does it output - binary or C++ for .NET
    >>>framework............

    >>Read the whitepaper, available on the ActiveState site.

    > Done that - its not entirely clear - any chance you could answer the
    > question......

    MSIL.

    >>>if the latter then it could be very cool as it
    >>>may work with the PocketPC 2003 SDK.... for producing binaries for
    >>>PDAs from python... cool...

    >>Forget it. Instead what you probably want is a Python implementation for
    >>Windows CE 3.0. There is one.

    > Not for the SH3 processor... doesn't produce binaries.

    Then you could ask the maintainer to produce such binaries. Or download
    the free WinCE SDK + Emulator + whatnot yourself and build binaries
    yourself. You might even learn a little C that way ;-)

    Or install Linux or NetBSD on that handheld instead :)

    -- Gerhard

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Jul 12, 2003
  5. (Noah) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Gerhard Häring <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Fuzzyman wrote:
    > > > What's the score on this (the ASPN python compiler)

    > > Read the whitepaper, available on the ActiveState site.
    > > -- Gerhard

    > The short answer is that it looks like a dead project.
    >
    > Actually, you are better off going to Mark Hammond's .NET page here:
    > http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/dotnet/

    Well, folks, I actually went off and read the paper. In spite of the
    declaration of success at the end of the paper, the project appears to
    have been just an academic proof of principle exercise. The compiler
    is too slow to be of practical use and not much of the much of the
    runtime and modules were implemented. You should read it; it doesn't
    look like it could have ever succeded.

    The paper suggests that a way around the mismatch between the dynamic
    typing of Python and the static typing of .NET would have been to
    introduce advisory type declarations into Python. Think Guido would
    buy that? It also suggested maybe type inferences could solve the
    problem.

    From this paper it's evident that this was not a class effort like
    Jython. Was Active State suckered by some marketing ploy of
    MicroSoft? To be fair maybe they all expected a follow-on project to
    do a real implementation, but I bet it's all part of VB-forever.

    I also noted there is a dead-in-the-water Perl.NET implementation.

    -- Russ

    Russ Salsbury, Jul 14, 2003
  6. Fuzzyman

    John J. Lee Guest

    (Russ Salsbury) writes:
    [...]
    > Well, folks, I actually went off and read the paper. In spite of the
    > declaration of success at the end of the paper, the project appears to
    > have been just an academic proof of principle exercise. The compiler
    > is too slow to be of practical use and not much of the much of the

    [...]

    Since all they wanted to demonstrate was that "the .NET runtime and
    Intermediate Language were capable of supporting the language", I
    think somebody should have told Microsoft about this guy called
    Turing. With great foresight <wink>, he proved that the .NET runtime
    *is* capable of supporting Python, which should have saved Mark & Greg
    all that hard work. <0.5 wink>

    John

    John J. Lee, Jul 15, 2003