The basic standard of real Excel-like reporting tool

Discussion in 'Java' started by natalie, Mar 20, 2009.

  1. natalie

    natalie Guest

    Nowadays, many reporting tools claim that they are Excel-like, and
    they support Excel-like report design after improvements. Then, what
    is a real Excel-like reporting tool?
    Today, we will discuss this problem from two aspects.
    1. What are the most basic functions a real Excel-like reporting tool
    should have?
    2. According to the data characteristics of report, what are the
    extended functions a real Excel-like reporting tool should have?
    Generally, programmers and end users are familiar with Excel, and
    programmers often choose to develop reports in an Excel-like style.
    The main purposes are to realize complex report forms and improve
    report creation efficiency. For users’ convenience, reporting software
    companies should provide a report IDE closer to Excel usage pattern as
    much as possible. In other words, besides Excel-like appearance, they
    need to spend more time on operation details to improve its service
    efficiency.

    In my opinion, a real Excel-like reporting tool should have the basic
    functions below:
    Same Cell Naming
    Cells in Excel are named according to their horizontal and vertical
    positions in the table. If set another naming mechanism, on the one
    hand it is very troublesome, on the other hand it will bring some
    inconveniences in expression editing.
    Cell's Properties Definition
    It should be able to define those most basic properties of a cell:
    font, font size, color, border, foreground, background, edit style for
    whole row or column or table, and format painter supporting, etc.
    Cell Content Editing
    The editing method of expression should be the same with that of
    Excel. For example, "=sum(A3+B5)". When insert or delete a related row
    or column, the expression is supposed to transform automatically
    without manual updating.
    When the content/expression of a cell is too long to display in it,
    the entire content/expression should be displayed in the edit box in
    the toolbar of the reporting tool.
    Custom Functions
    It should provides a great number of common functions, and retain some
    application programming interfaces for users to add their own custom
    functions.
    Import and Export Excel files
    Commonly, before involving a reporting tool or starting an information
    project, users may have had a lot of Excel files. Therefore, it is
    requisite to allow users to import and export Excel files.

    RAQ Report is a pure Java reporting software. As an enterprise class
    Excel-like reporting tool, it inherits all the advantages of Excel. At
    the same time, RAQ Report pays great attention to convenience and
    practicability in details. Therefore, programmers and end users can
    learn to use it freely in a short time.

    This post is from freezea's blog. You are welcomed cc it anywhere, and
    please indicate the source.

    If you would like to read more articles about reporting tool, you are
    also welcome to refer to his blog at http://freezea.blogspot.com/.

    natalie, Mar 20, 2009

  2. natalie

    Lew Guest

    natalie wrote:
    > This post is from freakeya's blog. You are welcomed cc it anywhere, and
    > please indicate the source.

    The source is Usenet.

    > If you would like to read more articles about reporting tool, you are
    > also welcome to refer to his spam at http://freakey.blogspam.scam/.

    Please stop spamming for freakey's blog. This is Usenet, where we already can
    write and read discussions about Java matters.

    Thank you for the information / press release about RAQ Report, though it
    would've been nice if you had linked to its site instead of your blogspam
    location.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Mar 20, 2009