    Mr Bean Guest

    Which one is most widely used?

    TIA
    Mr Bean, May 11, 2005

  2. On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:36:08 +0800, Mr Bean wrote:

    > Which one is most widely used?
    >
    > TIA

    The best and the most widely used might not be the same one.

    --
    "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
    you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
    GuyBrush Treepwood, May 11, 2005

  3. Mr Bean

    Mr Bean Guest

    GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:36:08 +0800, Mr Bean wrote:
    >

    >>Which one is most widely used?
    >>
    >>TIA

    > The best and the most widely used might not be the same one.

    So which one is the most popular?

    ;)
    Mr Bean, May 11, 2005
  4. Mr Bean

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Mr Bean <> writing
    in news:428177c8$:

    > GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
    >> On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:36:08 +0800, Mr Bean wrote:
    >>

    >>>Which one is most widely used?
    >>>
    >>>TIA

    >> The best and the most widely used might not be the same one.
    >>

    > So which one is the most popular?
    >
    > ;)

    Most popular is not necessarily the best. The best program is the one that
    works best for you.

    Adobe Photoshop is costly and very good, the "industry standard". A lot of
    people like Gimp, and others like Corel Painter, or Ulead PhotoImpact or
    Paintshop Pro.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, May 11, 2005
  5. Mr Bean

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Mr Bean wrote:
    > Which one is most widely used?
    >
    > TIA

    eesh you'll never get a straight answer in here!

    The one used by the majority of professionals is Adobe PhotoShop, but it
    depends what you are doing. Animations may be done in Macromedia Flash
    or Adobe ImageReady, and if you are incorporating video you may use Sony
    Vegas or Adobe Premier Pro. Vector images (for use in Flash, or as base
    art for PhotoShop) are generally done in Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia
    Freehand (although, I wouldn't bother learning Freehand now, as it wont
    exist in a years time).

    My essentials;

    Adobe PhotoShop CS2 (for jpegs, gifs, image edit and layouts)
    Macromedia Flash MX 2004 (for animation)
    Adobe Illustrator CS2 (vector art for use in Flash, and shapes for
    PhotoShop)
    Corel Painer IX (fine art)

    ....and Macromedia DreamWeaver MX 2004 for sticking it all together on a
    page :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, May 11, 2005
  6. Mr Bean

    mbstevens Guest

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 08:36:08 +0800, Mr Bean wrote:

    > Which one is most widely used?

    You'll need to make a distinction between
    freehand vs vector vs completely generated,
    and between 2D vs 3D.

    Why don't you re-as as...
    "What is the best program to make art that
    looks like the stuff [X] does." (Where X
    is some well known artist.)
    mbstevens, May 11, 2005
  7. Mr Bean

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, May 11, 2005
  8. Mr Bean

    Mr Bean Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > eesh you'll never get a straight answer in here!

    So true...

    ;)

    Vector images (for use in Flash, or as base
    > art for PhotoShop) are generally done in Adobe Illustrator or Macromedia
    > Freehand (although, I wouldn't bother learning Freehand now, as it wont
    > exist in a years time).

    Illustrator is what I need I think. I have Photoshop and some problems
    with drawings.

    > ...and Macromedia DreamWeaver MX 2004 for sticking it all together on a
    > page :)

    OMG. What gods on this NG wi say about DW?

    You should use Notepad!

    ;)

    BTW. Did you said Flash?

    That's blasphemy on this NG!

    ;)
    Mr Bean, May 12, 2005
  9. Mr Bean

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Mr Bean wrote:
    > Which one is most widely used?

    For raster stuff I use a combination of Paint Shop Pro 8 (haven't played
    with 9 yet), Adobe PhotoShop CS2 and the Gimp 2. I prefer PSP for most
    stuff, having used it at home for years, though at most of my places of work
    I've used Photoshop, so I am comfortable with that as well, and prefer the
    way it does some things. The Gimp has some great features and once again I
    prefer the way it does some things to both PSP and PS, and I particularly
    like ScriptFu so I use that a lot too. I very occasionally use MS Paint as
    well if I want to do simple stuff at a per pixel level; dunno why but I just
    like it as a per pixel editor. I also generate graphics with
    PHP/GD/ImageMagick, good for doing things on the fly or for processing
    graphics for use in content management systems.

    For ease of use, I would recommend PSP first, followed by PS and then the
    Gimp. PS is far and away the most polished but PSP has been catching up in
    recent years. The Gimp is also coming along very nicely.

    For vector stuff I like Adobe Illustrator, though I also occasionally use
    the vector tools in PSP. I bought a Corel package last year but was never
    really able to get into it, I just don't like the way Corel programs do
    things most of the time, which is a pity because the last time I used
    CorelDraw, around 10 years ago, it was really good. Corel Painter is pretty
    cool.

    For animation I like Flash but I rarely use it, no call for it in most of
    the sites I do. I have also been playing with doing Flash-like transitions
    and effects with JavaScript (ie sliding panels in from offscreen etc.).
    This is very cool because in a lot of cases the things that Flash are used
    for are overkill, and if you keep your wits about you then you can do it
    with JavaScript in such a way that a page still looks and works perfectly
    with JavaScript disabled but doesn't do the clever transitions etc. An
    example of this is, having a page where all the elements slide in from
    offscreen in a nice slick manner, but if JavaScript is disabled they just
    load in their normal positions, because putting them offscreen was done with
    JavaScript in the first place.

    I also render some graphics with 3D modelling tools (3DS and Bryce). It
    makes it a hell of a lot easier to do some things than it would be using
    painting programs. I probably don't do this as much as I should, but I've
    been thinking about making a little OpenGL application for doing buttons
    etc. in 3D (there are probably programs like this already but I like doing
    things myself).

    Very occasionally I will get down and dirty and write a quick little custom
    application to create an image or series of images, or to process images
    I've done in something else. I could do all of this sort of thing in PHP if
    I wanted to but I am more comfortable manipulating graphics in a more
    traditional programming environment.

    In summary I'd recommend getting your hands on as much different stuff as
    possible -- most software has trial or demo versions, some of it is outright
    free (like the Gimp) -- and figure out what you're most comfortable with and
    buy the full version of that. If you find that a particular graphic is
    difficult or labourious to do in your package of choice, try doing it in
    another package. You'll soon get a feel for their strengths and weaknesses.

    Wow, what a rant, but toys are fun.
    Nik Coughin, May 12, 2005
  10. Toby Inkster wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 May 2005 01:36:08 +0100, Mr Bean <> wrote:
    >
    >> Which one is most widely used?

    > The GIMP is most widely used (by me).
    >
    > http://www.gimp.org/

    And by me. I used to also use Corel Draw and Corel Paint. Stopped those
    when I switched to linux.

    Carolyn
    Carolyn Marenger, May 12, 2005
  11. Mr Bean

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Mr Bean wrote:
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    >> eesh you'll never get a straight answer in here!

    > So true...
    >
    > ;)
    >
    > Vector images (for use in Flash, or as base
    >
    >> art for PhotoShop) are generally done in Adobe Illustrator or
    >> Macromedia Freehand (although, I wouldn't bother learning Freehand
    >> now, as it wont exist in a years time).

    > Illustrator is what I need I think. I have Photoshop and some problems
    > with drawings.
    >

    >> ...and Macromedia DreamWeaver MX 2004 for sticking it all together on
    >> a page :)

    > OMG. What gods on this NG wi say about DW?
    >
    > You should use Notepad!
    >
    > ;)
    >
    > BTW. Did you said Flash?
    >
    > That's blasphemy on this NG!
    >
    > ;)

    Perhaps so, but the reality of the commercial sites (for bands) I
    build... it's what my clients want!
    SpaceGirl, May 12, 2005
  12. Mr Bean

    Mr Bean Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    >>> ...and Macromedia DreamWeaver MX 2004 for sticking it all together on
    >>> a page :)

    >> OMG. What gods on this NG wi say about DW?
    >>
    >> You should use Notepad!
    >>
    >> ;)
    >>
    >> BTW. Did you said Flash?
    >>
    >> That's blasphemy on this NG!
    >>
    >> ;)

    > Perhaps so, but the reality of the commercial sites (for bands) I
    > build... it's what my clients want!

    AMEN
    Mr Bean, May 13, 2005