The best editor

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, May 27, 2006.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, May 27, 2006

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Which is the best editor

    Subject to personal preference.

    > which allows the user to download and upload files over ftp from and to
    > the server?

    And on the subject of personal preference - better to mount the remote file
    system (and thus make it accessible to any application) then have special
    support for a network file transferring protocol in the editor itself.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, May 27, 2006

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Which is the best editor on the market usable both on a Windows and on a Mac
    > and on a Linux platform http://www.linux.org/
    > and
    > which allows the user to download and upload files over ftp from and to the
    > server?

    Editor which are compatible for Linux and Windows are:
    jedit http://www.jedit.org/
    nedit http://www.nedit.org/
    vim http://www.vim.org/download.php
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
    Edwin van der Vaart, May 27, 2006
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Frank Olieu Guest

    _Luigi Donatello Asero_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 16:57):

    > Which is the best editor

    That's a very subjective issue!

    > on the market usable both on a Windows and on a Mac
    > and on a Linux platform http://www.linux.org/
    > and which allows the user to download and upload files
    > over ftp from and to the server?

    - Jedit works fine, and it has FTP.
    - Crimson Editor. While a win32 app, it runs fine on Linux
    (using Wine) and has FTP too.
    - 'J'. You should try this one. Very different user-interface
    (also with FTP. All platforms).

    --
    Venlig hilsen | Kind regards | Cordialement
    Frank
    Frank Olieu, May 27, 2006
  5. Frank Olieu wrote:
    > _Luigi Donatello Asero_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 16:57):
    >
    >> Which is the best editor

    > - Crimson Editor. While a win32 app, it runs fine on Linux
    > (using Wine) and has FTP too.

    Things might have changed, but I gave Crimson a shot about a year ago and had to abandon
    it because I kept running into charset-related issues (IIRC supports only latin-1 and
    UTF-8 w/ BOM). I'm sure this is important to Luigi, Bablyon impersonated.
    Mitja Trampus, May 27, 2006
  6. "Edwin van der Vaart" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Which is the best editor on the market usable both on a Windows and on a

    Mac
    > > and on a Linux platform http://www.linux.org/
    > > and
    > > which allows the user to download and upload files over ftp from and to

    the
    > > server?

    > Editor which are compatible for Linux and Windows are:
    > jedit http://www.jedit.org/
    > nedit http://www.nedit.org/
    > vim http://www.vim.org/download.php

    Are they also compatible with Mac?
    Are they all freeware?
    Are they all compatible with Unicode, Chinese and Russian?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php
    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 27, 2006
  7. On Sat, 27 May 2006 22:57:47 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote
    (in article <vX3eg.2321$>):

    > "Edwin van der Vaart" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>> Which is the best editor on the market usable both on a Windows and on a

    > Mac
    >>> and on a Linux platform http://www.linux.org/
    >>> and
    >>> which allows the user to download and upload files over ftp from and to

    > the
    >>> server?

    >> Editor which are compatible for Linux and Windows are:
    >> jedit http://www.jedit.org/
    >> nedit http://www.nedit.org/
    >> vim http://www.vim.org/download.php

    > Are they also compatible with Mac?
    > Are they all freeware?
    > Are they all compatible with Unicode, Chinese and Russian?

    If you go to the URLs which you have been given, you can check for yourself
    whether they are compatible with a Mac, and whether they are freeware. Do
    you actually have a Mac?

    --
    Sally in Shropshire, UK
    http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk
    Sally Thompson, May 27, 2006
  8. "Sally Thompson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > On Sat, 27 May 2006 22:57:47 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote
    > (in article <vX3eg.2321$>):

    Do
    > you actually have a Mac?

    Why do you ask?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php
    Write in peace for peace
    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 27, 2006
  9. Luigi Donatello Asero

    saz Guest

    In article <vX3eg.2321$>,
    says...

    > "Edwin van der Vaart" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > > Which is the best editor on the market usable both on a Windows and on a

    > Mac
    > > > and on a Linux platform http://www.linux.org/
    > > > and
    > > > which allows the user to download and upload files over ftp from and to

    > the
    > > > server?

    > > Editor which are compatible for Linux and Windows are:
    > > jedit http://www.jedit.org/
    > > nedit http://www.nedit.org/
    > > vim http://www.vim.org/download.php

    > Are they also compatible with Mac?
    > Are they all freeware?
    > Are they all compatible with Unicode, Chinese and Russian?

    Why don't you check them yourself?
    saz, May 27, 2006
  10. On Sat, 27 May 2006 23:26:28 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote
    (in article <om4eg.2323$>):

    > "Sally Thompson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> On Sat, 27 May 2006 22:57:47 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote
    >> (in article <vX3eg.2321$>):

    > Do
    >> you actually have a Mac?

    > Why do you ask?

    Why do you think?

    Sally Thompson, May 27, 2006
  11. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Frank Olieu Guest

    _Mitja Trampus_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 22:15):

    > ... because I kept running into charset-related issues (IIRC supports only latin-1 and
    > UTF-8 w/ BOM).

    Crimson supports UTF-8 with and without BOM. The latest you have to switch manually.

    > I'm sure this is important to Luigi, Babylon impersonated.

    :)

    Frank Olieu, May 27, 2006
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <om4eg.2323$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > "Sally Thompson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > On Sat, 27 May 2006 22:57:47 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote
    > > (in article <vX3eg.2321$>):

    > Do
    > > you actually have a Mac?

    > Why do you ask?

    It was a natural question to ask... we all want to know
    everything about you dear Luigi and why waste an opportunity?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 28, 2006
  13. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart <> skrev:
    >
    >> Editor which are compatible for Linux and Windows are:
    >> jedit http://www.jedit.org/
    >> nedit http://www.nedit.org/
    >> vim http://www.vim.org/download.php

    > Are they also compatible with Mac?

    Not sure about jedit, but the other two are. However, to run Nedit on Mac,
    you'll need to make sure you have Apple's X server installed.

    > Are they all freeware?

    They're all Open Source.

    > Are they all compatible with Unicode, Chinese and Russian?

    Nedit supports Unicode. Vim does too, but if you're running it in a
    terminal, you'll need to make sure the terminal does.

    Nedit doesn't have built-in FTP -- vim probably does -- but I've never
    felt that to be an important feature to have in a text editor. I rarely
    use FTP, and if I do, I have no trouble downloading, editing and then
    uploading again.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./james/the_best_of_james/05_waltzing_along.ogg
    Toby Inkster, May 28, 2006
  14. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <om4eg.2323$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Sally Thompson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > > On Sat, 27 May 2006 22:57:47 +0100, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote
    > > > (in article <vX3eg.2321$>):

    > > Do
    > > > you actually have a Mac?

    > > Why do you ask?

    > It was a natural question to ask... we all want to know
    > everything about you dear Luigi and why waste an opportunity?

    I am also under the impression that many want to know more about me...
    but how much are you willing to tell about yourself?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php
    Minä asun Ruotsissa
    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 28, 2006

    > "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > In article <om4eg.2323$>,
    > > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Sally Thompson" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > >
    > > > Do
    > > >
    > > > Why do you ask?

    > > It was a natural question to ask... we all want to know
    > > everything about you dear Luigi and why waste an opportunity?

    I am also under the impression that many people (not only on Internet) want

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 28, 2006
  16. "Toby Inkster" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Edwin van der Vaart <> skrev:
    > >
    > >> Editor which are compatible for Linux and Windows are:
    > >> jedit http://www.jedit.org/
    > >> nedit http://www.nedit.org/
    > >> vim http://www.vim.org/download.php

    > > Are they also compatible with Mac?

    > Not sure about jedit, but the other two are. However, to run Nedit on Mac,
    > you'll need to make sure you have Apple's X server installed.
    >
    > > Are they all freeware?

    > They're all Open Source.
    >
    > > Are they all compatible with Unicode, Chinese and Russian?

    > Nedit supports Unicode. Vim does too, but if you're running it in a
    > terminal, you'll need to make sure the terminal does.
    >
    > Nedit doesn't have built-in FTP -- vim probably does -- but I've never
    > felt that to be an important feature to have in a text editor. I rarely
    > use FTP, and if I do, I have no trouble downloading, editing and then
    > uploading again.
    >
    > --

    What about jedit?
    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php
    Hasta la vista!
    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 28, 2006

    > "Toby Inkster" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > > > Are they also compatible with Mac?

    > > Not sure about jedit, but the other two are. However, to run Nedit on

    Mac,
    > > you'll need to make sure you have Apple's X server installed.

    Now I see that you were not sure about it.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 28, 2006
  18. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Frank Olieu Guest

    _Luigi Donatello Asero_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (28-05-2006 17:38):

    > What about jedit?

    - Jedit works on about anything you can throw a Java Runtime at (win, *nix,
    osx,...).

    - It has FTP (if that's what you settled for) which I have been testing
    successfully on Windows and Linux (but not osx).

    - It also has many plug-ins, så you can tailor it to suit your needs.

    - On the other hand, it's quite ressource-demanding for an editor...

    It has the reputation of being very stable. See their website: http://www.jedit.org/

    Frank Olieu, May 28, 2006
  19. "Frank Olieu" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > _Mitja Trampus_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (27-05-2006 22:15):
    >
    > > ... because I kept running into charset-related issues (IIRC supports

    only latin-1 and
    > > UTF-8 w/ BOM).

    > Crimson supports UTF-8 with and without BOM. The latest you have to switch

    manually.

    > > I'm sure this is important to Luigi, Babylon impersonated.

    > :)

    Babylon? Why?
    As a result of the fact that I write in many languages?
    About jedit, I see they write

    "Written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows."

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php
    Ha det en bra kväll!
    Luigi Donatello Asero, May 28, 2006
  20. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Frank Olieu Guest

    _Luigi Donatello Asero_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (28-05-2006 18:31):

    >>> I'm sure this is important to Luigi, Babylon impersonated.

    >> :)

    > Babylon? Why?

    You know, the "Turning Torso" in Malmö... Do you live there, by the way? Could
    be an explanation :)

    > As a result of the fact that I write in many languages?

    Yeah, that's quite impressive actually...

    Frank Olieu, May 28, 2006