    I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make an own script :),

    for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.

    any recommend? Thanks ^_^
    Hazard Seventyfour, Jan 24, 2013

  2. Hazard Seventyfour

    Guest

    On Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:43:31 AM UTC, Hazard Seventyfour wrote:
    > Hello,
    >

    > I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make an own script :),
    >

    > for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.
    >

    > any recommend? Thanks ^_^

    Hi,
    an editor is pretty much a matter of personal preferences.
    I personally like Eclipse as I use it for most of my projects (not only Python) so I use Eclipse + PyDev plug-in for Python.

    mik
    , Jan 24, 2013

  3. On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Hazard Seventyfour
    <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make an own script :),
    >
    > for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.
    >
    > any recommend? Thanks ^_^

    Here we go, it's holy war time again! :)

    You'll get a HUGE lot of responses. Many use emacs or vim, and you'll
    get a few recommendations for IDLE. After that, it's a huge field of
    options. I personally use SciTE; it's a good editor, but I don't
    particularly like the way the project is run (nothing strong, but I
    didn't like the tone on its mailing list). Eclipse has its fans, too.

    A Python IDE is not nearly as beneficial as, say, a Java IDE. A good
    Python editor just needs to do the basics like indentation, syntax
    highlighting, and such; I like IDLE's method info when I'm working
    interactively, but it's not a big deal when I'm writing a program. In
    fact, all you really need out of an IDE can probably be supplied by
    just a good editor, maybe a makefile, and alt-tabbing to IDLE.
    However, if you want an IDE, they do exist.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Jan 24, 2013
  4. Hazard Seventyfour

    John Gordon Guest

    In <> Hazard Seventyfour <> writes:

    > Hello,

    > I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make
    > an own script :),

    > for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with
    > nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto
    > complete/auto correct.

    Try PyScripter.

    http://code.google.com/p/pyscripter/

    B is for Basil, assaulted by bears
    John Gordon, Jan 24, 2013
  5. On Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:42:19 PM UTC+5:30, John Gordon wrote:
    > In <> Hazard Seventyfour <> writes:
    >

    > > Hello,

    > > I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make

    > > an own script :),

    > > for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with

    > > nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto

    > > complete/auto correct.

    > Try PyScripter.
    >

    > http://code.google.com/p/pyscripter/
    >

    > --
    >
    > John Gordon A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
    >
    > B is for Basil, assaulted by bears
    >
    > -- Edward Gorey, "The Gashlycrumb Tinies"

    use vim.

    ~Sharwan Joram
    Sharwan Joram, Jan 24, 2013
  6. Hazard Seventyfour

    John Gordon Guest

    In <> Sharwan Joram <> writes:

    > use vim.

    He said he wanted autocomplete. Does Vim have that?

    B is for Basil, assaulted by bears
    John Gordon, Jan 24, 2013
  7. Hazard Seventyfour

    rusi Guest

    On Jan 24, 2:43 pm, Hazard Seventyfour <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make anown script :),
    >
    > for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.
    >
    > any recommend? Thanks ^_^

    What editor you use does not matter. What matters is that you learn to
    use the interpreter.

    That is learn to use things like
    - history
    - last expression with _ (underscore)
    - Using introspection to find out about odd stuff (ie use dir and
    help)
    - And after things kind-of work, copy pasting into your editor

    Here's a test to check whether youve got the idea: Do you think that
    to write a program you need to write a 'main?' If yes then no!

    [I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
    recommendation]
    rusi, Jan 24, 2013
  8. On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:54 AM, rusi <> wrote:
    > - last expression with _ (underscore)

    Small terminology quibble: That's not last expression, but last non-None result.

    >>> 1+2

    3
    >>> _

    3
    >>> _,None

    (3, None)
    >>> _

    (3, None)
    >>> _[1]
    >>> _

    (3, None)

    Otherwise, agree totally. Get to know the interactive interpreter, and
    keep it handy.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Jan 24, 2013
  9. Am 24.01.2013 16:54, schrieb rusi:
    > [I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
    > recommendation]

    It would be truly sadistic to force a long-time emacs user to any
    other editor.

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Jan 24, 2013
  10. Hazard Seventyfour

    Tim Chase Guest

    On 01/24/13 10:23, Thomas Heller wrote:
    > Am 24.01.2013 16:54, schrieb rusi:
    >> [I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
    >> recommendation]
    >>

    > It would be truly sadistic to force a long-time emacs user to any
    > other editor.

    I saw the recommendation for Vim elsewhere on the thread and comment
    the same as this sub-thread: "I personally use vim. It would be
    sadistic to make that into a recommendation" And likewise, it's
    "truly sadistic to force a long-time vim user to any other editor." :)

    Not that Vim isn't great for programming Python (which I do
    daily)...it *is*! It's just not where I'd throw somebody who
    doesn't already have an existing editor preference *and* doesn't
    know Python.

    -tkc
    Tim Chase, Jan 24, 2013
  11. Andrew Gudovich, Jan 24, 2013
  12. Hazard Seventyfour

    Walter Hurry Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 22:10:21 +1100, Chris Angelico wrote:

    > On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Hazard Seventyfour
    > <> wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make
    >> an own script :),
    >>
    >> for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with
    >> nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto
    >> complete/auto correct.
    >>
    >> any recommend? Thanks ^_^

    > Here we go, it's holy war time again! :)
    >
    > You'll get a HUGE lot of responses. Many use emacs or vim, and you'll
    > get a few recommendations for IDLE. After that, it's a huge field of
    > options. I personally use SciTE; it's a good editor, but I don't
    > particularly like the way the project is run (nothing strong, but I
    > didn't like the tone on its mailing list). Eclipse has its fans, too.
    >
    > A Python IDE is not nearly as beneficial as, say, a Java IDE. A good
    > Python editor just needs to do the basics like indentation, syntax
    > highlighting, and such; I like IDLE's method info when I'm working
    > interactively, but it's not a big deal when I'm writing a program. In
    > fact, all you really need out of an IDE can probably be supplied by just
    > a good editor, maybe a makefile, and alt-tabbing to IDLE. However, if
    > you want an IDE, they do exist.

    All true (especially the holy wars bit!). OP didn't (as far as I can see)
    even say which OS he is using. Anyway, my suggestion is generally that
    people use the editor with which they are already comfortable.
    Walter Hurry, Jan 24, 2013
  13. > All true (especially the holy wars bit!). OP didn't (as far as I can see)even say which OS he is using. Anyway, my suggestion is generally that people use the editor with which they are already comfortable.

    Sound advice. Most of the time I still use Visual Studio for editing Python because I also use it for C++, so it's just what I'm used to. No big deal, really. Whatever works is what works. It's just a text file after all.
    Leonard, Arah, Jan 24, 2013
  14. Leonard, Arah <Arah.Leonard <at> bruker-axs.com> writes:

    > > All true (especially the holy wars bit!). OP didn't (as far as I can see)
    > >even say which OS he is using.

    > Anyway, my suggestion is generally that people use the editor with which
    > > they are already comfortable.
    > >

    > Sound advice. Most of the time I still use Visual Studio for editing Python
    > because I also use it for C++, so
    > it's just what I'm used to. No big deal, really. Whatever works is what
    > works. It's just a text file after all.

    I assume you're using PyTools (http://pytools.codeplex.com/)?

    -Dave
    Dave Hirschfeld, Jan 24, 2013
  15. Hazard Seventyfour

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2013-01-24, John Gordon <> wrote:
    > In <> Sharwan Joram <> writes:
    >
    >> use vim.

    > He said he wanted autocomplete. Does Vim have that?

    Yes, you use its ctags support to get it working, I believe.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    Neil Cerutti, Jan 24, 2013
  16. Hazard Seventyfour

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2013-01-24, Tim Chase <> wrote:
    > On 01/24/13 10:23, Thomas Heller wrote:
    >> Am 24.01.2013 16:54, schrieb rusi:
    >>> [I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
    >>> recommendation]
    >>>

    >> It would be truly sadistic to force a long-time emacs user to any
    >> other editor.

    > I saw the recommendation for Vim elsewhere on the thread and comment
    > the same as this sub-thread: "I personally use vim. It would be
    > sadistic to make that into a recommendation" And likewise, it's
    > "truly sadistic to force a long-time vim user to any other editor." :)
    >
    > Not that Vim isn't great for programming Python (which I do
    > daily)...it *is*! It's just not where I'd throw somebody who
    > doesn't already have an existing editor preference *and* doesn't
    > know Python.

    I agree.

    Vim is great, Emacs is great. I'm glad I know one of them. But
    learning one of them is as project unto itself. So selecting
    either just for Python is skipping too many decisions and maybe
    biting off too big a piece of the snake.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    Neil Cerutti, Jan 24, 2013
  17. Hazard Seventyfour

    Tim Chase Guest

    On 01/24/13 13:34, Leonard, Arah wrote:
    >> All true (especially the holy wars bit!). OP didn't (as far as
    >> I can see) even say which OS he is using. Anyway, my suggestion
    >> is generally that people use the editor with which they are
    >> already comfortable.

    > Sound advice. [snip] Whatever works is what works. It's just a
    > text file after all.

    So even "ed" or "edlin" or even "cat" would do ;-)
    ?
    -tkc
    ?
    wq
    Tim Chase, Jan 24, 2013
  18. >> Sound advice. Most of the time I still use Visual Studio for editing
    >> Python because I also use it for C++, so it's just what I'm used to.
    >> No big deal, really. Whatever works is what works. It's just a text
    >> file after all.
    >>

    > I assume you're using PyTools (http://pytools.codeplex.com/)?

    Would that I could! To my knowledge they still haven't backported PyTools to VS2008, which I'm presently stuck on because Python 2.7 still doesn't compile on VS2010. :(

    Kind of makes you think...
    Leonard, Arah, Jan 24, 2013
  19. Hazard Seventyfour

    llanitedave Guest

    On Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:54:55 AM UTC-8, rusi wrote:

    > [I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
    >
    > recommendation]

    Lol! That's just too true. It's also true for Eclipse, which I use very comfortably on Windows 7, but has proven to be a nightmare to set up on Ubuntu.

    On Linux, I've tried several, but always keep coming back to Geany.
    llanitedave, Jan 24, 2013
  20. Hazard Seventyfour

    Tetsuya Guest

    On 01/24/2013 04:51 PM, John Gordon wrote:
    > In <> Sharwan Joram <> writes:
    >
    >> use vim.

    > He said he wanted autocomplete. Does Vim have that?

    Vim has everything, you just need a bunch of plugins.
    I code mainly in python and django, and I use these plugins (among others):

    powerline (status bar indicating git branch, etc..)
    syntastic (support for pep8, flake8, pyflakes, etc..)
    ctrlp (fuzzy search for filenames)
    jedi (*awesome* python smart autocompletion)
    tagbar (support for ctags, tags in a side window, jump around, etc)
    fugitive (git with vim commands, very useful)
    nerdcommenter (smart comment management)
    nerdtree (filesystem management, tree of files, etc)
    snipmate (snippets and autoexpanding of boilerplates)
    gundo (undo management - vim has a smarter-than-others undo system)
    supertab (autocomplete everything with TAB, smartly depending on
    language and context).

    Is this enough? :)
    I can continue, but I think that, just to start, is enough. Vim wins.
    Tetsuya, Jan 24, 2013