The best, friendly and easy use Python Editor.

Hazard Seventyfour

Hello,

I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make an own script :),

for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.

any recommend? Thanks ^_^

mikprog

Hello,

I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make an own script :),

for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.

any recommend? Thanks ^_^

Hi,
an editor is pretty much a matter of personal preferences.
I personally like Eclipse as I use it for most of my projects (not only Python) so I use Eclipse + PyDev plug-in for Python.

mik

Chris Angelico

Hello,

I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make an own script :),

for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.

any recommend? Thanks ^_^

Here we go, it's holy war time again! :)

You'll get a HUGE lot of responses. Many use emacs or vim, and you'll
get a few recommendations for IDLE. After that, it's a huge field of
options. I personally use SciTE; it's a good editor, but I don't
particularly like the way the project is run (nothing strong, but I
didn't like the tone on its mailing list). Eclipse has its fans, too.

A Python IDE is not nearly as beneficial as, say, a Java IDE. A good
Python editor just needs to do the basics like indentation, syntax
highlighting, and such; I like IDLE's method info when I'm working
interactively, but it's not a big deal when I'm writing a program. In
fact, all you really need out of an IDE can probably be supplied by
just a good editor, maybe a makefile, and alt-tabbing to IDLE.
However, if you want an IDE, they do exist.

ChrisA

rusi

Hello,

I new in this python and decided to learn more about it, so i can make anown script :),

for all senior can you suggest me the best, friendly and easy use with nice GUI editor for me, and have many a good features such as auto complete/auto correct.

any recommend? Thanks ^_^

What editor you use does not matter. What matters is that you learn to
use the interpreter.

That is learn to use things like
- history
- last expression with _ (underscore)
- Using introspection to find out about odd stuff (ie use dir and
help)
- And after things kind-of work, copy pasting into your editor

Here's a test to check whether youve got the idea: Do you think that
to write a program you need to write a 'main?' If yes then no!

[I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
recommendation]

Thomas Heller

Am 24.01.2013 16:54, schrieb rusi:
[I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
recommendation]
It would be truly sadistic to force a long-time emacs user to any
other editor.

Thomas

Tim Chase

Am 24.01.2013 16:54, schrieb rusi:
[I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
recommendation]
It would be truly sadistic to force a long-time emacs user to any
other editor.

I saw the recommendation for Vim elsewhere on the thread and comment
the same as this sub-thread: "I personally use vim. It would be
sadistic to make that into a recommendation" And likewise, it's
"truly sadistic to force a long-time vim user to any other editor." :)

Not that Vim isn't great for programming Python (which I do
daily)...it *is*! It's just not where I'd throw somebody who
doesn't already have an existing editor preference *and* doesn't
know Python.

-tkc

Walter Hurry

Here we go, it's holy war time again! :)

You'll get a HUGE lot of responses. Many use emacs or vim, and you'll
get a few recommendations for IDLE. After that, it's a huge field of
options. I personally use SciTE; it's a good editor, but I don't
particularly like the way the project is run (nothing strong, but I
didn't like the tone on its mailing list). Eclipse has its fans, too.

A Python IDE is not nearly as beneficial as, say, a Java IDE. A good
Python editor just needs to do the basics like indentation, syntax
highlighting, and such; I like IDLE's method info when I'm working
interactively, but it's not a big deal when I'm writing a program. In
fact, all you really need out of an IDE can probably be supplied by just
a good editor, maybe a makefile, and alt-tabbing to IDLE. However, if
you want an IDE, they do exist.

All true (especially the holy wars bit!). OP didn't (as far as I can see)
even say which OS he is using. Anyway, my suggestion is generally that
people use the editor with which they are already comfortable.

Leonard, Arah

All true (especially the holy wars bit!). OP didn't (as far as I can see)even say which OS he is using. Anyway, my suggestion is generally that people use the editor with which they are already comfortable.
Sound advice. Most of the time I still use Visual Studio for editing Python because I also use it for C++, so it's just what I'm used to. No big deal, really. Whatever works is what works. It's just a text file after all.

Dave Hirschfeld

Leonard said:
Anyway, my suggestion is generally that people use the editor with which

Sound advice. Most of the time I still use Visual Studio for editing Python
because I also use it for C++, so
it's just what I'm used to. No big deal, really. Whatever works is what
works. It's just a text file after all.

I assume you're using PyTools (http://pytools.codeplex.com/)?

-Dave

Neil Cerutti

Am 24.01.2013 16:54, schrieb rusi:
[I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a
recommendation]
It would be truly sadistic to force a long-time emacs user to any
other editor.

I saw the recommendation for Vim elsewhere on the thread and comment
the same as this sub-thread: "I personally use vim. It would be
sadistic to make that into a recommendation" And likewise, it's
"truly sadistic to force a long-time vim user to any other editor." :)

Not that Vim isn't great for programming Python (which I do
daily)...it *is*! It's just not where I'd throw somebody who
doesn't already have an existing editor preference *and* doesn't
know Python.

I agree.

Vim is great, Emacs is great. I'm glad I know one of them. But
learning one of them is as project unto itself. So selecting
either just for Python is skipping too many decisions and maybe
biting off too big a piece of the snake.

Tim Chase

All true (especially the holy wars bit!). OP didn't (as far as
I can see) even say which OS he is using. Anyway, my suggestion
is generally that people use the editor with which they are
already comfortable.

Sound advice. [snip] Whatever works is what works. It's just a
text file after all.

So even "ed" or "edlin" or even "cat" would do ;-)
?
-tkc
?
wq

Leonard, Arah

Sound advice. Most of the time I still use Visual Studio for editing
I assume you're using PyTools (http://pytools.codeplex.com/)?

Would that I could! To my knowledge they still haven't backported PyTools to VS2008, which I'm presently stuck on because Python 2.7 still doesn't compile on VS2010. :(

Kind of makes you think...

llanitedave

[I personally use emacs. It would be sadistic to make that into a

recommendation]

Lol! That's just too true. It's also true for Eclipse, which I use very comfortably on Windows 7, but has proven to be a nightmare to set up on Ubuntu.

On Linux, I've tried several, but always keep coming back to Geany.

Tetsuya

He said he wanted autocomplete. Does Vim have that?

Vim has everything, you just need a bunch of plugins.
I code mainly in python and django, and I use these plugins (among others):

powerline (status bar indicating git branch, etc..)
syntastic (support for pep8, flake8, pyflakes, etc..)
ctrlp (fuzzy search for filenames)
jedi (*awesome* python smart autocompletion)
tagbar (support for ctags, tags in a side window, jump around, etc)
fugitive (git with vim commands, very useful)
nerdcommenter (smart comment management)
nerdtree (filesystem management, tree of files, etc)
snipmate (snippets and autoexpanding of boilerplates)
gundo (undo management - vim has a smarter-than-others undo system)
supertab (autocomplete everything with TAB, smartly depending on
language and context).

Is this enough? :)
I can continue, but I think that, just to start, is enough. Vim wins.