The better ANSI c++ compiler for me ?

goodfella

Howdy code writers et al ..

[note: using WinME OS ]

I want to get into my C++ programming and need helpful pointer to the
best free ansi c++ complier for me to use for a few weeks to pick up
some first / second base skills+

I'm a sucker for a simple interface
and want to hang as close as i can to the format the best of the best
use .

The links i'm finding aren't telling me what i want to know and i sure
could use some insightful advice ..

My natural tendancies got me to the free country website and its links
... i went for the microsoft visual c++ offerings only to find they
wont run on my WinME OS .

Fire away I'm all ears for this ..

Matthias Kaeppler

goodfella said:
Howdy code writers et al ..

[note: using WinME OS ]

I want to get into my C++ programming and need helpful pointer to the
best free ansi c++ complier for me to use for a few weeks to pick up
some first / second base skills+

I'm a sucker for a simple interface
and want to hang as close as i can to the format the best of the best
use .

The links i'm finding aren't telling me what i want to know and i sure
could use some insightful advice ..

My natural tendancies got me to the free country website and its links
.. i went for the microsoft visual c++ offerings only to find they
wont run on my WinME OS .

Fire away I'm all ears for this ..

I prefer using g++ from the GNU project. It has everything I need for
private coding sessions. There is a Win32 port called Minimalist GNU for
Win32, which acts also as the compiler backend for Bloodshed's popular
Dev-C++ IDE (which was ironically written in Object Pascal).
Try www.mingw.org for the bare command line compiler and libraries, and
www.bloodshed.net for the IDE.

Alan Johnson

goodfella said:
Howdy code writers et al ..

[note: using WinME OS ]

I want to get into my C++ programming and need helpful pointer to the
best free ansi c++ complier for me to use for a few weeks to pick up
some first / second base skills+

I'm a sucker for a simple interface
and want to hang as close as i can to the format the best of the best
use .

The links i'm finding aren't telling me what i want to know and i sure
could use some insightful advice ..

My natural tendancies got me to the free country website and its links
.. i went for the microsoft visual c++ offerings only to find they
wont run on my WinME OS .

Fire away I'm all ears for this ..

Unfortunately there is no "best" answer anybody can give you, as it
depends highly on what you want to do, what your level of experience is,
etc. However, if you are just looking for someone to tell you what to
do so that you have a starting point then here is my advice -- go to the
following URL and read through their tutorials for downloading and
installing jGRASP. It is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment,
i.e. a text editor with the ability to invoke your compiler and other
handy tools) used by a lot of schools for introductory programming classes.

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/

After you've learned C++ and a bit more about exactly what you want to
do, you can make a more informed decision about what set of tools you
want to use. It is my experience that the majority of people use Visual
C++ for Windows development and g++ with Emacs or Vi for Unix development.

Ioannis Vranos

goodfella said:
Howdy code writers et al ..

[note: using WinME OS ]

I want to get into my C++ programming and need helpful pointer to the
best free ansi c++ complier for me to use for a few weeks to pick up
some first / second base skills+

I'm a sucker for a simple interface
and want to hang as close as i can to the format the best of the best
use .

The links i'm finding aren't telling me what i want to know and i sure
could use some insightful advice ..

My natural tendancies got me to the free country website and its links
.. i went for the microsoft visual c++ offerings only to find they
wont run on my WinME OS .

Fire away I'm all ears for this ..

You may check this:

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys/learningcpp.htm