The Big Three

Dave Theese

Hello all,

Could someone that is in-the-know please explain what the intended use is of
the three newsgroups shown below? I realize, of course, that all are forums
for discussing C++, but what is the *difference* between the three?

comp.lang.c++
comp.lang.c++.moderated
comp.std.c++

Thank you,
Dave

P.S. As long as I'm posting, are there other mainstream newsgroups that are
dedicated to discussions of *standard* C++?

Mike Wahler

Dave Theese said:
Hello all,

Could someone that is in-the-know please explain what the intended use is of
the three newsgroups shown below? I realize, of course, that all are forums
for discussing C++, but what is the *difference* between the three?

comp.lang.c++

Discussion of C++ as defined by ISO.
comp.lang.c++.moderated

Same as comp.lang.c++ but moderated.
comp.std.c++

Discussion of the ISO standard itself.

-Mike

Kevin Goodsell

Dave said:
Hello all,

Could someone that is in-the-know please explain what the intended use is of
the three newsgroups shown below? I realize, of course, that all are forums
for discussing C++, but what is the *difference* between the three?

Actually, that's not quite true.
comp.lang.c++

Used for discussion of the C++ language and library, as defined by the
C++ standard.
comp.lang.c++.moderated

Moderated form of the above. Lower traffic. A human moderator
pre-approves every message before it is allowed to reach the group. This
makes it slower than a non-moderated group.
comp.std.c++

Used for discussion of the C++ standard itself, meaning the actual
standard document. Interpretations of passages, discussion of defects,
suggestions for additions, etc.
Thank you,
Dave

P.S. As long as I'm posting, are there other mainstream newsgroups that are
dedicated to discussions of *standard* C++?

alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ comes to mind. There are also numerous
incarnations of comp.lang.c++ for other (spoken) languages. But
basically this is the place.

-Kevin

jeffc

Dave Theese said:
P.S. As long as I'm posting, are there other mainstream newsgroups that are
dedicated to discussions of *standard* C++?

alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++