The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object.

CJM

I've built an application in VB6 does some processing - it's not really
important what it does...

The application consists of a single DLL which does all the hard work, and a
simple EXE which acts as the front-end.

I designed it this way in the hope that I could also build an intranet app
that controls the same component (DLL).

I'm building the intranet page now, but I get this error when I try to
instantiate the component. Rather than fiddle aimlessly with the
permissions, I thought I'd post here and find out what I am missing.

What permissions do I need to set up and where?

Thanks

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Start--Run--dcomcnfg

Select your component, pull up the properties, go to the security tab, and
give your IUSR account the rights to access and launch the component.

Ray at work

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

I honestly don't know what makes it show up in that list. I thought that if
you regsvr32'ed it, it'd show up there, but honestly, this is beyond the
scope of my knowledge. If no one else chimes into this thread with ideas, I
suggest inquiring about how to get your component to show up in there in an
ActiveX group or a VB group perhaps.

Ray at work

CJM

Ok, thanks Ray.

I'll repost in vb.general, and I'll post the result back here...

Chris

[MSFT]

Hello,

What is the type of your DLL file, an ActiveX DLL project? What is the OS'
version? If you temporarily add the IUser_ComputerName to local
administrator group, can this problem be resolved?

Luke

CJM

Luke,

Yes, the DLL is an ActiveX DLL (VB6). And I'm running on XPSP1.

I tried adding the IUSR user to the local admins group but that didnt make
any difference.

Any ideas why any of my components dont appear on the DCOM lists?

Cheers

Chris

[MSFT]

Hi Chris,

Since administrator also cannot invoke the component, it seemd be a COm
register issue. You may try following steps:

1. unregister the dll with "regsvr32 /u filaname.dll"
2. copy the DLL to the Windows\System32 folder
3. register it again with its new path

will this fix the problem?

Luke

CJM

Luke,

There are two objects from two DLLs that I want to instantiate.

After unregistering the DLLs and moving & re-registering in System32, I had
some partial success.

With the first (less important) one, I could create the object, but it didnt
seem to recognise its properties.

With the second ( & important) one, the move seemed to work. However this
meant that the windows version of the program no longer worked.

I rebooted, then recompiled , moved and re-registered the components, and
then tried again but this time nothing worked.

[30 min detour]

I've just installed the ASP code and the components on a development server,
and had much more success. Both components can be instantiated, and the I've
figured out the problem with the first component's properties being
recognised:

The VB application is using interfaces, but ASP can't handle interfaces.
Therefore, PropertyName will not be recognised, so instead I must refer to
it as Interface_PropertyName. This also appears to work.

I still have no idea why it doesnt work on my machine... Even though there
is the complication of it being the development machine, it should still
work. If you have any ideas why this might be I'd like to pursue this issue,
but at least I know I can finish the project on the seperate server...

Thanks

Chris

[MSFT]

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the information. I think the main reason for it worked on the
development server is the development is a clean computer for the COM
component. On your original computer, the component had been registered for
times and its inface may get changed for times. There may be some registry
errors. A possible soultion is create a new project with a new name and
copy all code to the new project. And we had better use binary
compatibility for the project.

Luke