    permissions, I thought I'd post here and find out what I am missing.

    What permissions do I need to set up and where?

    Thanks
    CJM, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Start--Run--dcomcnfg

    Select your component, pull up the properties, go to the security tab, and
    give your IUSR account the rights to access and launch the component.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 8, 2004

  3. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Ray,

    None of my components are listed!

    I saw the previous post regarding this which pointed to this page:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198432

    I assumed that since my components weren't listed that it wasnt applicable
    to me.

    However, you seem to be offering the same advice... Have I missed something
    out of the compilation stage?

    Cheers

    Chris

    message news:...

    CJM, Oct 8, 2004
  4. I honestly don't know what makes it show up in that list. I thought that if
    you regsvr32'ed it, it'd show up there, but honestly, this is beyond the
    scope of my knowledge. If no one else chimes into this thread with ideas, I
    suggest inquiring about how to get your component to show up in there in an
    ActiveX group or a VB group perhaps.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 8, 2004
  5. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Ok, thanks Ray.

    I'll repost in vb.general, and I'll post the result back here...

    Chris

    message news:...

    CJM, Oct 8, 2004
  6. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    What is the type of your DLL file, an ActiveX DLL project? What is the OS'
    version? If you temporarily add the IUser_ComputerName to local
    administrator group, can this problem be resolved?

    Luke
    [MSFT], Oct 11, 2004
  7. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Luke,

    Yes, the DLL is an ActiveX DLL (VB6). And I'm running on XPSP1.

    I tried adding the IUSR user to the local admins group but that didnt make
    any difference.

    Any ideas why any of my components dont appear on the DCOM lists?

    Cheers

    Chris

    CJM, Oct 11, 2004
  8. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Chris,

    Since administrator also cannot invoke the component, it seemd be a COm
    register issue. You may try following steps:

    1. unregister the dll with "regsvr32 /u filaname.dll"
    2. copy the DLL to the Windows\System32 folder
    3. register it again with its new path

    will this fix the problem?

    Luke
    [MSFT], Oct 12, 2004
  9. CJM

    CJM Guest

    Luke,

    There are two objects from two DLLs that I want to instantiate.

    After unregistering the DLLs and moving & re-registering in System32, I had
    some partial success.

    With the first (less important) one, I could create the object, but it didnt
    seem to recognise its properties.

    With the second ( & important) one, the move seemed to work. However this
    meant that the windows version of the program no longer worked.

    I rebooted, then recompiled , moved and re-registered the components, and
    then tried again but this time nothing worked.

    [30 min detour]

    I've just installed the ASP code and the components on a development server,
    and had much more success. Both components can be instantiated, and the I've
    figured out the problem with the first component's properties being
    recognised:

    The VB application is using interfaces, but ASP can't handle interfaces.
    Therefore, PropertyName will not be recognised, so instead I must refer to
    it as Interface_PropertyName. This also appears to work.

    I still have no idea why it doesnt work on my machine... Even though there
    is the complication of it being the development machine, it should still
    work. If you have any ideas why this might be I'd like to pursue this issue,
    but at least I know I can finish the project on the seperate server...

    Thanks

    Chris

    CJM, Oct 12, 2004
  10. CJM

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Chris,

    Thank you for the information. I think the main reason for it worked on the
    development server is the development is a clean computer for the COM
    component. On your original computer, the component had been registered for
    times and its inface may get changed for times. There may be some registry
    errors. A possible soultion is create a new project with a new name and
    copy all code to the new project. And we had better use binary
    compatibility for the project.

    Luke
    [MSFT], Oct 13, 2004