The check of the signature failed

Richard Loupatty

Hi all,

Does someone know what this mean:

The check of the signature failed for assembly
'Infragistics.WebUI.UltraWebGrid.v2'

I also did a post to Infragistics but maybe this is a general problem
and someone can tell me about it?

Richard Loupatty

MIO Development
the Netherlands

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Richard,

From your description, you encountered the "check for the signature failed
for assembly" error when calling a certain assembly in your asp.net web
application, yes?

Based on my research, this problem is likely caused by refererncing a
delaysigned assembly which is strong-named but haven't contained complete
signature.(This is mostly used for the dev version of a component be fore
it is released or shipped). Is the assembly you used
("Infragistics.WebUI") a 3rd-party one ? I think you can create a simple
winform application and reference this dll to see whether the problem also
occured. If also occurr, then I think you have the following choices:
1. Ask the assembly's developers for release version which has complete
signature contained. This is most recommended.

2. Still use this delaysigned one, but you need to turns off verification
for this assembly using the following command:
sn ¨CVr myAssembly.dll
But this is only for developing, if you want to use the assembly in your
production, I strongly recommend that you choose the #1.

In addition, here is the reference in MSDN which has detailedly describe
the delaysign for an assembly:
#Delay Signing an Assembly
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpcondelayedsigningasse
mbly.asp?frame=true

HOpe also helps. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Richard Loupatty

Steven,

Got the same aswer from Infragistics. It's a strong-name issue.

But the problem only occurs at my provider (shared hosting) when I ftp
the files.

Deploying it with a simple copy of all files to several test-servers
didn't give the error.
What could be the difference ?

Even when putting the following in the web.config doesn't solve the problem

<!-- This reference is OK, it specifies the full name of WebGrid. -->
<add assembly="Infragistics.WebUI.UltraWebGrid.v2, Version=2.0.5000.1,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7dd5c3163f2cd0cb" />

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure whether you've turn off the verification off the certain
assembly on the server where it worked well. But as I mentioned in the last
reply, a delaysign assembly has no private key info in the meta data. So if
you configured it in configure file and use it as a Strong-named assembly,
it'll occur certain errors.

And this error can be disabled by turn off the verification for the
assembly by
sn ¨CVr myAssembly.dll
as I mentioned.

So I think you can have a check to see whether you've turn this off. If
not, turn off the verification and test again to see whether the error
still occurs. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Richard Loupatty \(MIO\)

It's clear to me now, but still doesn't work.
Could it be something at the provider's ?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure on the Provider but this is a potential cause. Also, it is it
possbile that you ask a release one( not compiled as delaysign) from the
provider? If so, I think that'll be nice. Do you think so?

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Richard Loupatty \(MIO\)

Steven,

Ok,

I installed a new version of Infragistics and it seems to work now.

But I still don't understand why it didn't work out with the old files.
if it's a 1 to 1 copy to the provider

Thanks for spending time on this !!