the confusing term page file

Discussion in 'C++' started by George2, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. George2

    George2 Guest

    Hello everyone,

    On Windows Server 2003, task manager there is a term called PF (Page
    File) and it has a related curve. Task manager also has another term
    called commit charge.

    1. I think PF is the same as commit charge. Previously, I think Page
    File only includes the paged-out pages which physical memory can not
    contain, and the pages are not in memory are counted as PF. Now I
    think I am wrong and PF includes all committed pages, including the
    ones in memory and the ones on disk;

    2. Even if the pages are marked as COMMIT, it is not always counted as
    a part of PF in some situations before it is actually used (request
    for zero and copy-on-write scenarios);

    Are my understandings of (1) and (2) correct?

    thanks in advance,
    George
    George2, Jan 30, 2008

  2. George2

    Ron Natalie Guest

    George2 wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >

    > On Windows Server 2003, task manager there is a term called PF (Page
    > File) and it has a related curve. Task manager also has another term
    > called commit charge.

    It's PAGE FAULTS and it's excessively confusing because it has squat to
    do with C++ or this newsgroup. It's essentially a count of the number
    of processor traps incurred when touching either non-resident or access
    protected virtual memory pages.

    For further discussion and the relationship to the abortion called the
    Windows operating system, try a group with Microsoft in it's name.
    Ron Natalie, Jan 30, 2008