The ConnectionString property has not been initialized.

Laura K

Tried all kinds of things. I get the error.

The ConnectionString property has not been initialized.

Any help appreciated.

This is the web.config info

<configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="connectionstring" value="Data Source=path to database;
database=testingsite;User Id=UserID;Password=password" />

</appSettings>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the doc mentioned in the error.

Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Public Class Catalog

Public Shared Function GetDepartments() As SqlDataReader

' Create the connection object

Dim connection As New SqlConnection(connectionString)

' Create and initialize the command object

Dim command As New SqlCommand("dbo.GetDepartments", connection)

command.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure

' Open the connection

connection.Open()

' Return a SqlDataReader to the calling function

Return command.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)

End Function

Private Shared ReadOnly Property connectionString() As String

Get

Return ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ConnectionString")

End Get

End Property

End Class

Craig Deelsnyder

Laura said:
[...]

I know the tags are case-sensitive in web.config. Can't remember about
the keys/vals values. Try changing the case sensitivity of your
..AppSettings call or the key name in the config (make them the same).

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Try this:-
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Data Source=(local);
database=Northwind; Integrated Security=SSPI" />

MAKE SURE U ARE PASSING THE CORRECT KEY IN UR APPLICATION.

Patrick

Brock Allen

<add key="connectionstring" value="Data Source=path to database;
database=testingsite;User Id=UserID;Password=password" />

When this says "path to database", what exactly is the value you're specifying?
It should be "servername" or "servername\instance".

Craig Deelsnyder

Patrick said:
Try this:-
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Data Source=(local);
database=Northwind; Integrated Security=SSPI" />

MAKE SURE U ARE PASSING THE CORRECT KEY IN UR APPLICATION.

Patrick

Heh, I blew right past that part :) Obviously that's pry the problem...

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Brock good u figured out that issue ..
And Laura have u finally fixed the connection?
Patrick

Laura K

Nope connection not fixed. I am also posting this on another forum. Here
is a list of docs. would love to have help. I am totally lost on this one.

Here is the exact same thing as I posted on the other forum. Any help
appreciated.

Here is the situation. I am following a book, "Beginning ASP.NET 1.1
E-Commerce. The book has me working on a local SQL server. I am working
remotly and trying to make the changes needed to do it that way.

Instead of posting code I will post a txt version of the docs.

This contains the code for the connection

http://209.200.112.194/txtdocs/catalog.vb.txt

This is a user control code behind

http://209.200.112.194/txtdocs/departmentslist.ascx.vb.txt

this is the user control - view source to see the code

http://209.200.112.194/txtdocs/departmentslist.ascx.txt

web config

http://209.200.112.194/txtdocs/web.config.txt

Help???

Laura

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Laura maybe you can give a try like this:-
Don't use:-
ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ConnectionString")

Try including your connectionstring in ur code like:-

Dim connection As New SqlConnection("Data Source=SERVERNAME;Initial
Catalog=YOURDATABASE;User Id=sa;Password=asdasd;")

Hope that helps
** See how it goes**

Patrick

Laura K

Patrick Olurotimi Ige said:
Laura maybe you can give a try like this:-
Don't use:-
ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ConnectionString")

Try including your connectionstring in ur code like:-

Dim connection As New SqlConnection("Data Source=SERVERNAME;Initial
Catalog=YOURDATABASE;User Id=sa;Password=asdasd;")

Hope that helps
** See how it goes**

Patrick

Joined
May 15, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
novice need help

excuse me..
i saw a problem like that one..
and i have followed patrick's way..but it seems doesn't work for me..

but this message appear..
"An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections."

can some one help me??
thank's..