The convenient compiler for Python Apps and Distribution of it

dcrespo

Hi all...
There are py2exe, but it only works for Windows.
Which would be the convenient(s) compiler(s) to deploy an executable
that runs under Windows and under Linux (obviously, they have to be
from different source of program compiler)...
Any comments? (write the Pros and Cons of each one please)

Maurice LING

fred.dixon said:
google for cx_freeze
nevermind, here
http://starship.python.net/crew/atuining/cx_Freeze/
linux and windows

Thanks. I think the question is really asking "is there an application
that can compile standalone python applications in various platforms?"
That is, is it possible to built a standalone python application in OSX
that runs on Windows, for example?

I've not used Freeze or cx_freeze before but my assumption is that it
can only build a sourceless package for its own platform. That is, if I
run it on OSX, then my built package is only for OSX. My assumption
comes from the fact that in cx_freeze, there isn't a "Python
distribution", so it seems to be bootstrapping the python system from
the host platform. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Cheers
Maurice

dcrespo

the question is "is there an application
that can compiles standalone python applications for running under
Windows?" and "is there an application
that can compile standalone python applications for running under
Linux?". So I want a compiler for each platform, but that works.