The cover of "The Well-Grounded Rubyist"

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by David A. Black, Jun 10, 2009.

  1. Hi all --

    I've gotten a couple of questions about why there seem to be two
    covers for my new book, "The Well-Grounded Rubyist".

    Answer: the cover was redesigned, late in the production process, and
    the original cover is still in circulation online. Unfortunately, for
    example, Amazon still uses the old cover. (It seems to be essentially
    impossible to get them to update anything.)

    So, to answer the question I've been getting: there is only one book!
    The two covers don't mean there are two editions; it's just the result
    of a time-lag in getting the new cover out.

    All printed copies have the new cover.

    David

    Now available: The Well-Grounded Rubyist (http://manning.com/black2)
    "Ruby 1.9: What You Need To Know" Envycasts with David A. Black
    http://www.envycasts.com

    David A. Black, Jun 10, 2009

  2. On 10.06.2009 15:21, David A. Black wrote:
    > Hi all --
    >
    > I've gotten a couple of questions about why there seem to be two
    > covers for my new book, "The Well-Grounded Rubyist".
    >
    > Answer: the cover was redesigned, late in the production process, and
    > the original cover is still in circulation online. Unfortunately, for
    > example, Amazon still uses the old cover. (It seems to be essentially
    > impossible to get them to update anything.)
    >
    > So, to answer the question I've been getting: there is only one book!
    > The two covers don't mean there are two editions; it's just the result
    > of a time-lag in getting the new cover out.
    >
    > All printed copies have the new cover.

    Amazing: we're living in web 2.0 times and a printed book is more
    current than an online medium. I guess this does not happen too often
    these days.

    Kind regards

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Robert Klemme, Jun 10, 2009

    Haha! I did not think of it that way Robert. Good observation ;-)

    Joshua Collins, Jun 10, 2009
  4. On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Robert
    Klemme<> wrote:
    > On 10.06.2009 15:21, David A. Black wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi all --
    >>
    >> I've gotten a couple of questions about why there seem to be two
    >> covers for my new book, "The Well-Grounded Rubyist".
    >>
    >> Answer: the cover was redesigned, late in the production process, and
    >> the original cover is still in circulation online. Unfortunately, for
    >> example, Amazon still uses the old cover. (It seems to be essentially
    >> impossible to get them to update anything.)
    >>
    >> So, to answer the question I've been getting: there is only one book!
    >> The two covers don't mean there are two editions; it's just the result
    >> of a time-lag in getting the new cover out.
    >>
    >> All printed copies have the new cover.

    > Amazing: we're living in web 2.0 times and a printed book is more current
    > than an online medium. =A0I guess this does not happen too often these da=

    ys.

    And the Amazon page doesn't show the back cover, so it doesn't show my
    eloquent blurb, which was edited down to slightly less than a full
    sentence! <G>

    --=20
    Rick DeNatale

    Rick DeNatale, Jun 10, 2009
  5. On 11.06.2009 00:29, Rick DeNatale wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Robert
    > Klemme<> wrote:
    >> On 10.06.2009 15:21, David A. Black wrote:

    >>> All printed copies have the new cover.

    >> Amazing: we're living in web 2.0 times and a printed book is more current
    >> than an online medium. I guess this does not happen too often these days.

    > And the Amazon page doesn't show the back cover, so it doesn't show my
    > eloquent blurb, which was edited down to slightly less than a full
    > sentence! <G>

    Don't complain - my comment does not even show up in pieces. :))

    Robert Klemme, Jun 10, 2009