The current configuration system does not support user-scoped settings.

Trapulo

What does mean this error?
The current configuration system does not support user-scoped settings.

I'm accessing a my.settings data from a DAL dll referenced by an ASP.NET
app. I've a similar other application that works well. The one with the
problem is an 1.1 upgraded, the one that works a native 2.0. I cannot find
differences :(

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Trapulo,

Thank you for posting.

My.Settings object in VB.NET 2005 is normally used to access user-scope
settings. User-scope settings are often used by WinForm applications which
run under a specific user account. Since ASP.NET applications run under a
server account, using user-scope settings here is not appropriate.

If you are using ConfigruationSettings.AppSettings previously in your 1.1
DAL dll, you can now use ConfigurationManager.AppSettings after upgraded to
2.0 (remember to reference System.Configuration assembly first).

If you still want to access user-scope settings, you can use Profiles in
ASP.NET 2.0.

If there is anything unclear, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Walter Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Trapulo

Thank you.

In fact I jsut selected "user" scope insted of "application" scope on my
project's settings.

Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the helpful post.

I am exploring the option of using ApplicationSettings or AppSettings for my WebCustomControl.
Please let know whether this is a feasible idea!
If so, Which one of these would best suit the situation.

My custom control will access a data source at backend.
I do not want to hard code the data source location on code.

Please advice.
Thanks in advance!

Bharath