The daemon helper, dh is its name

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by John Kelly, Jul 1, 2010.

  1. John Kelly

    John Kelly Guest

    The daemon helper, dh is its name.

    It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
    daemon, then gets out of the way.

    Yes I know there are various others. But this is one I wrote, and I
    gave it an Apache license.

    If you don't like the name "dh" for whatever reason, you can patch the
    Makefile and source to give it whatever name you like. Perhaps "dprime"
    (daemon primer), or "dp" for a short name.

    ftp://ftp.beewyz.com/users/jar/etcetera/computer/programming/project/dh/

    Yes I know you can fork,setsid,exec in Perl too. But the daemon helper
    covers some bases you might not think of, when throwing your Perl script
    together. And a tool that already does the job for you, saves time.

    --
    Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
    http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

    John Kelly, Jul 1, 2010

  2. John Kelly

    Uri Guttman Guest

    BM> Quoth John Kelly <>:
    >>
    >> The daemon helper, dh is its name.
    >>
    >> It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
    >> daemon, then gets out of the way.

    BM> Why are you posting this here?

    because he doesn't like how i paTROL the group? :)

    but a good question that he is not likely to answer. asking him
    questions about his reasoning is taken as a personal insult.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Jul 1, 2010

  3. John Kelly

    John Kelly Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:06:33 -0500, Tad McClellan <>
    wrote:

    >Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Quoth John Kelly <>:
    >>>
    >>> The daemon helper, dh is its name.
    >>>
    >>> It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
    >>> daemon, then gets out of the way.

    >> Why are you posting this here?

    >Maybe because it is "news", as in Network News Transfer Protocol?

    Because it can start a Perl script as a daemon, without any need to
    fork,setsid,exec in your perl script. I use it myself, to start Perl
    scripts as never ending daemons.

    Not every post must answer a question. People like to read news too,
    though I understand why control freaks hate news, as it threatens their
    territorial domain.

    John Kelly, Jul 1, 2010
  4. John Kelly <> wrote:
    >On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:06:33 -0500, Tad McClellan <>
    >>Ben Morrow <> wrote:

    >>> Why are you posting this here?

    >Because it can start a Perl script as a daemon,

    I bet it can start a Haskell or C# or Lisp program, too. Did you post in
    the corresponding groups for those languages too?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jul 1, 2010
  5. John Kelly

    John Kelly Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:00:55 -0700, Jürgen Exner <>
    wrote:

    >John Kelly <> wrote:

    >>Because it can start a Perl script as a daemon,

    >I bet it can start a Haskell or C# or Lisp program, too. Did you post in
    >the corresponding groups for those languages too?

    Not yet.

    It's topical for a Perl group, because Perl provides sockets and other
    features typically used in daemons. The daemon helper lets you omit the
    Perl code required for daemon bootstrapping, and focus more readily on
    your application, saving time and work.

    John Kelly, Jul 1, 2010
  6. John Kelly

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 05:22:21 +0000 John Kelly <> wrote:

    JK> It's topical for a Perl group, because Perl provides sockets and other
    JK> features typically used in daemons. The daemon helper lets you omit the
    JK> Perl code required for daemon bootstrapping, and focus more readily on
    JK> your application, saving time and work.

    I don't think it's relevant to Perl specifically as it does not offer
    any features Perl does not have, does not extend or contribute to
    existing Perl code, and has no Perl interfaces. It's like posting here
    about your new car because it can drive you to work where you could
    write Perl code.

    You should try to popularize your software but this way you will just
    annoy people. Try reddit.com for instance.

    Ted

    Ted Zlatanov, Jul 1, 2010
  7. John Kelly

    John Kelly Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 07:39:01 -0500, Ted Zlatanov <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 05:22:21 +0000 John Kelly <> wrote:
    >
    >JK> It's topical for a Perl group, because Perl provides sockets and other
    >JK> features typically used in daemons. The daemon helper lets you omit the
    >JK> Perl code required for daemon bootstrapping, and focus more readily on
    >JK> your application, saving time and work.
    >
    >I don't think it's relevant to Perl specifically as it does not offer
    >any features Perl does not have

    How would you know that without using it.

    >does not extend or contribute to existing Perl code, and has no Perl
    >interfaces.

    So I can't discuss awk, sed, or shell features, and compare or contrast
    them to Perl features, because they don't have "Perl interfaces"?

    >It's like posting here about your new car because it can drive you
    >to work where you could write Perl code.

    That's a stretched analogy.

    >You should try to popularize your software but this way you will just
    >annoy people.

    Maybe. But popularity is not my goal. It's a niche tool, not many
    people attempt to write daemons of any kind, much less in Perl. I put
    it out there for the few who may. It helps me save work and time, and
    it can help other people too.

    If you're not interested in a thread, or it seems off topic to you, why
    not ignore it. Every complaint is another opportunity for me to discuss
    it.

    >Try reddit.com for instance

    Thanks, but it looks too noisy to be helpful.

    John Kelly, Jul 1, 2010
  8. John Kelly

    John Kelly Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:10:51 -0400, Sherm Pendley
    <> wrote:

    >John Kelly <> writes:
    >
    >> If you're not interested in a thread, or it seems off topic to you, why
    >> not ignore it.

    >Doing so encourages more off-topic threads.

    I believe not.

    >there's a chance ... that someone doesn't realize that they're behaving
    >badly, and may therefore appreciate being told about it, so as to avoid
    >being rude in the future.

    Some people use newsgroups as a social structure where they hang out and
    meet friends. So they expect newcomers to behave like themselves. But
    I don't use newsgroups that way. To me they are an information resource
    and little more. I'm not interested in your social group's approval.

    >> Thanks, but it looks too noisy to be helpful.

    >That's what happens in a free-for-all which doesn't take topicality
    >very seriously. So the question is, why do you want to turn this group
    >into such an unhelpful place as that?

    The complainers are making more noise than my original post. If you
    can't ignore me, you have no one but yourselves to blame.

    John Kelly, Jul 1, 2010
  9. John Kelly

    sreservoir Guest

    On 7/1/2010 10:39 AM, John Kelly wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:10:51 -0400, Sherm Pendley
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> John Kelly<> writes:
    >>
    >>> If you're not interested in a thread, or it seems off topic to you, why
    >>> not ignore it.

    >> Doing so encourages more off-topic threads.

    > I believe not.

    you believe wrongly.

    >> there's a chance ... that someone doesn't realize that they're behaving
    >> badly, and may therefore appreciate being told about it, so as to avoid
    >> being rude in the future.

    > Some people use newsgroups as a social structure where they hang out and
    > meet friends. So they expect newcomers to behave like themselves. But
    > I don't use newsgroups that way. To me they are an information resource
    > and little more. I'm not interested in your social group's approval.

    newsgroups _are_ social structure. treat them as such.

    >>> Thanks, but it looks too noisy to be helpful.

    >> That's what happens in a free-for-all which doesn't take topicality
    >> very seriously. So the question is, why do you want to turn this group
    >> into such an unhelpful place as that?

    > The complainers are making more noise than my original post. If you
    > can't ignore me, you have no one but yourselves to blame.

    see upthread.

    --

    "Six by nine. Forty two."
    "That's it. That's all there is."

    sreservoir, Jul 1, 2010
  10. John Kelly

    John Kelly Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:05:08 -0400, sreservoir <>
    wrote:

    >>> Doing so encourages more off-topic threads.

    >> I believe not.

    >you believe wrongly.

    How can you be sure.

    >> Some people use newsgroups as a social structure where they hang out and
    >> meet friends. So they expect newcomers to behave like themselves. But
    >> I don't use newsgroups that way. To me they are an information resource
    >> and little more. I'm not interested in your social group's approval.

    >newsgroups _are_ social structure. treat them as such.

    Well I don't mean to belittle anyone who has few other social outlets,
    so let me apologize if my words caused offense. But I just can't get
    into the spirit of group think online. I need face to face contact for
    that.

    For those who want to continue discussing psychology, please change the
    subject. By now, we are far more off topic than the daemon helper ever
    was.

    John Kelly, Jul 1, 2010
  11. John Kelly

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 13:21:55 +0000 John Kelly <> wrote:

    JK> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 07:39:01 -0500, Ted Zlatanov <>
    JK> wrote:

    >> You should try to popularize your software but this way you will just
    >> annoy people.

    JK> If you're not interested in a thread, or it seems off topic to you, why
    JK> not ignore it. Every complaint is another opportunity for me to discuss
    JK> it.

    I'm really not complaining and I have nothing against your software. I
    was trying to help you find an audience; I can assure you c.l.p.misc is
    not it and I tried to explain why it's not relevant and why people are
    annoyed. If reddit.com is not to your liking, try freshmeat.com or any
    of the other places software is announced.

    Ted

    Ted Zlatanov, Jul 1, 2010