the DataBound event of FormView

Jeff

hey

asp.net 2.0

I want to programmatically populate (with data from the database) a label
control in a FormView on a webpage.

Is it a good idea to put my logic inside the DataBound event of the
FormView?

any other suggestions?

Jeff

Guest

The basic databinding pattern with a FormView is the same as with similar
Databound controls such a GridView. Assuming that all your controls (inluding
the label) have their databound field set,

private void BindData()
{
SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection(ConnectionString);
SqlDataAdapter ad = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM Users",
myConnection);
DataSet ds = new DataSet();
ad.Fill(ds);
fv1.DataSource = ds;
fv1.DataBind();
FormViewRow row = fv1.Row;

}

You could call the above method inside an if(!Page.IsPostBack) check in your
Page_Load handler.

--Peter
http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

Jeff

Hey Peter!

thanks for your reply!

But I want to manipulate the data returned from the database before I set
display it in the FormView!

Instead of doing this:
<asp:TextBox ID="helloworldTextBox" runat="server" Text='<%#
Bind("helloworld") %>'>
</asp:TextBox><br />

I want to do something like this (in the code behind page):
helloworldTextBox.text = <db value>;

It's an interesting code you sent me, but I have this already configured. I
want to programmatically manipulate the data returned from db before I show
in the label control

Any suggestions?

Jeff

This is the manipulation I need done to the db data:
String str = reader.GetString(4);
lblInfo.Text = str.Replace(Environment.NewLine, "<br/>");

Maybe I instead could do this data manipulation directly in the stored
procedure (sql server 2005) which returns the datasource to the FormView??