The decentralized nature of the Python community is driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Python' started by metaperl.bzr@gmail.com, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    hi everyone,

    I am the first of what may be hundreds of refugees from the Perl
    community. Not only is Python a more productive language, with many
    more nice apps, but the people are friendly as well... waaay more
    friendly than the Perl crowd.

    But I must say the one thing I miss about Perl is my ability to stay on
    top of all the latest modules and apps in one place: CPAN. With Python,
    code is EVERYWHERE - people's local boxes, sourceforge, freshmeat,
    codezoo, parnassus, etc, etc. Different approaches to documentation. A
    much nicer install utility (python setup.py install r0x). But I am
    finding it hard to keep on top and browse all the wares that are out
    there because they are literally all over the net!

    And then you have discussion and yet again, there is no perlmonks.org
    for Python. We have this, IRC, and what else?

    So, I guess this is my way of letting you know how lost I feel about
    this de-centralized community. Dont get me wrong. I'm glad to be part
    but I was thinking it would be nice if there were a one-stop-shop for
    all my chat and wares needs. But for now, I guess I need to just add
    few more bookmarks to main places to keep on top of daily besides
    pythonware.com/daily.

    , Aug 9, 2006

  2. Ravi Teja Guest

    > But I must say the one thing I miss about Perl is my ability to stay on
    > top of all the latest modules and apps in one place: CPAN. With Python,
    > code is EVERYWHERE - people's local boxes, sourceforge, freshmeat,
    > codezoo, parnassus, etc, etc.

    Python CheeseShop is equivalent to CPAN
    http://www.python.org/pypi

    Easy Install provides a nice client
    http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

    Ravi Teja, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Mike Orr Guest

    wrote:
    > hi everyone,
    >
    > I am the first of what may be hundreds of refugees from the Perl
    > community. Not only is Python a more productive language, with many
    > more nice apps, but the people are friendly as well... waaay more
    > friendly than the Perl crowd.
    >
    > But I must say the one thing I miss about Perl is my ability to stay on
    > top of all the latest modules and apps in one place: CPAN. With Python,
    > code is EVERYWHERE - people's local boxes, sourceforge, freshmeat,
    > codezoo, parnassus, etc, etc. Different approaches to documentation. A
    > much nicer install utility (python setup.py install r0x). But I am
    > finding it hard to keep on top and browse all the wares that are out
    > there because they are literally all over the net!
    >
    > And then you have discussion and yet again, there is no perlmonks.org
    > for Python. We have this, IRC, and what else?
    >
    > So, I guess this is my way of letting you know how lost I feel about
    > this de-centralized community. Dont get me wrong. I'm glad to be part
    > but I was thinking it would be nice if there were a one-stop-shop for
    > all my chat and wares needs. But for now, I guess I need to just add
    > few more bookmarks to main places to keep on top of daily besides
    > pythonware.com/daily.

    Hi Metaperl, glad you're enjoying our language. :) I left Perl in the
    mid 90s and came to Python after a year with Java. So I don't know
    what perlmonks.org is. The lack of a CPAN equivalent has been a
    persistent lament of Pythoneers over the years, and there have been
    several attempts to build a Python one or a multilingual one. The
    Cheeseshop and easy_install are the most successful attempts. There's
    a project aimed at integrating easy_install into Python itself, but
    with the technical and compatibility issues it will take several
    months. More and more packages are being listed in the Cheeseshop. If
    there's anything of importance that's *not* listed there (and I can't
    think of anything), you would do well to prod the owners to get with
    the program. You can pretty much ignore Parnassus and Freshmeat etc
    unless you have a fondness for old software that will never be in the
    Cheeseshop.

    comp.lang.python is where most of the discussion takes place, and the
    best place to ask questions. It's so big I read it the weekly
    Python-URL summary instead, which is how I found your message. I've
    never read the daily Python-URL much, but it looks like a good place if
    you want more "input" [Number 5 voice; "Short Circuit" movie].

    Other good sources of information are local users' groups and
    conferences. I attend PyCon every year, and find that something always
    happens somehow that sets my direction for the year. Some really good
    idea you collaborate on at the conference, then work on during the next
    several months. If you're plugged into users' groups, I don't see a
    real need to have lots of bookmarks to read every day.

    There are a ton of Python books now too that might be helpful. There
    are also some good articles on O'Reilly's OnLamp
    (http://www.onlamp.com/python/) by several Python bigwigs, including
    Cameron Laird who founded the Python-URL. Plus there's Guido's blog of
    course (http://www.artima.com/weblogs/index.jsp?blogger=guido).

    As for "different approaches to documentation", that's something the
    Python community has not come to any consensus on. There are tools
    that convert docstrings into documentation, and tools that run tests
    embedded in docstrings, and these impose a syntax on the docstrings,
    but in each area there are multiple programs and it's too soon to say
    which approach will win out. But they are gradually converging.

    --Mike <>

    Mike Orr, Aug 18, 2006
  4. infidel Guest

    > And then you have discussion and yet again, there is no perlmonks.org
    > for Python. We have this, IRC, and what else?

    There's also http://planet.python.org, which is an aggregator of python
    blogs that I check many times a day for new posts.

    infidel, Aug 18, 2006
  5. John J. Lee Guest

    "Mike Orr" <> writes:
    [...]
    > several attempts to build a Python one or a multilingual one. The
    > Cheeseshop and easy_install are the most successful attempts. There's
    > a project aimed at integrating easy_install into Python itself, but
    > with the technical and compatibility issues it will take several
    > months. More and more packages are being listed in the Cheeseshop. If

    [...]

    Part of setuptools (on which easy_install is built) is already part of
    the soon-to-be-released Python 2.5. But most of it is not. More of
    it will be in 2.6, once setuptools 0.7 is done (though I'm not sure if
    *all* of it even then, if that's inappropriate). Certainly isn't
    stopping people from using it, of course: a lot of work has gone into
    making easy_install work smoothly with as many existing projects as
    feasible (which is quite a good percentage of the projects out there).

    This is a good way to see what's going on:

    http://www.pythonware.com/daily/

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 21, 2006
  6. Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Re: The decentralized nature of the Python community is driving mecrazy

    napisa³(a):

    > So, I guess this is my way of letting you know how lost I feel about
    > this de-centralized community. Dont get me wrong. I'm glad to be part
    > but I was thinking it would be nice if there were a one-stop-shop for
    > all my chat and wares needs. But for now, I guess I need to just add
    > few more bookmarks to main places to keep on top of daily besides
    > pythonware.com/daily.

    Centralization is bad. Believe me, I lived nearly 20 years under
    communist regime, I know what I am saying. You don't need
    centralization, all you need is aggregation upon agreed rules.

    We have good aggregator on Planet Python, we have growing package index
    in Cheeseshop (already aggregated on Planet) and good tips list on ASPN
    (also aggregated on Planet). I see the future is bright for us.

    --
    Jarek Zgoda
    http://jpa.berlios.de/

    Jarek Zgoda, Aug 21, 2006