The definitive list of ||= (OR Equal) threads and pages

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ruby Freak, May 2, 2008.

  1. Ruby Freak

    Ruby Freak Guest

    Since you can't search google groups for ||=. I have put this thread
    together with links to all the threads about ||= from Comp.lang.ruby.

    The next time someone asks about ||=, have them search for "Or Equal"

    PLEASE DON'T RESPOND TO THIS THREAD (we've heard enough)

    Please do rate it.

    Threads from Google groups ruby:

    Please explain nuances of ||=
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...a6aa93f43b7/763899255643ccac#763899255643ccac

    The ||= assignment operator
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/47f273f6ab57303e/291babfc79b4b822
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...e/bc12010ecc8b6c61?lnk=st&q=#bc12010ecc8b6c61

    What does "||=" mean?
    http://groups.google.com/group/ruby...3/afc2a425523cbcef?lnk=st&q=#afc2a425523cbcef

    Rick DeNatale
    x ||= y, Redux
    http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/articles/2008/04/26/x-y-redux

    David A Black
    A short-circuit (||=) edge case
    http://dablog.rubypal.com/2008/3/25/a-short-circuit-edge-case

    usenet posts referred to in the google links above

    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/297185
    http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/297145

    SEO stuff to get y'all here.
    OrEqual Or-Equal "OR EQUAL" double-pipe equal pipe-pipe equal pipe
    pipe equal
    Ruby Freak, May 2, 2008