The definitive list of ||= (OR Equal) threads and pages

Ruby Freak

Since you can't search google groups for ||=. I have put this thread
together with links to all the threads about ||= from Comp.lang.ruby.

The next time someone asks about ||=, have them search for "Or Equal"

PLEASE DON'T RESPOND TO THIS THREAD (we've heard enough)

Please do rate it.

Threads from Google groups ruby:

Please explain nuances of ||=
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...a6aa93f43b7/763899255643ccac#763899255643ccac

The ||= assignment operator
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/47f273f6ab57303e/291babfc79b4b822
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...e/bc12010ecc8b6c61?lnk=st&q=#bc12010ecc8b6c61

What does "||=" mean?
http://groups.google.com/group/ruby...3/afc2a425523cbcef?lnk=st&q=#afc2a425523cbcef

Rick DeNatale
x ||= y, Redux
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/articles/2008/04/26/x-y-redux

David A Black
A short-circuit (||=) edge case
http://dablog.rubypal.com/2008/3/25/a-short-circuit-edge-case

usenet posts referred to in the google links above

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/297185
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/297145

SEO stuff to get y'all here.
OrEqual Or-Equal "OR EQUAL" double-pipe equal pipe-pipe equal pipe
pipe equal