    2.0. Am I correct to assume that at some point they changed this from \code
    to \App_Code and these are the same thing?

    Steve

    Steve Franks, Sep 12, 2005

  2. Hi, Steve.

    re:
    > Am I correct to assume that at some point they changed this from \code to \App_Code and
    > these are the same thing?

    You're correct. In Beta 1 it was called /code.
    In Beta 2, it was changed to /App_Code.

    See http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/whidbey/beta2update.aspx
    for a complete list of special directories.

    re:
    > "System.Web.HttpException: The directory '/App_Code' is not allowed because the
    > application is precompiled."
    >
    > Anyone know this works fine locally but not on development? How can I resolve this?

    You don't need to resolve it.

    Because you're precompiling, everything that would go in the App_Code
    directory is already compiled and doesn't need to be uploaded.

    If you want to upload your source files into the
    App_Code directory, don't precompile your application.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ==========================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 12, 2005

  3. Steve Franks

    Steve Franks Guest

    > Because you're precompiling, everything that would go in the App_Code
    > directory is already compiled and doesn't need to be uploaded.
    >
    > If you want to upload your source files into the
    > App_Code directory, don't precompile your application.

    I am not purposely precompiling my application. How can I prevent it from
    precompiling?

    Locally I just use VS.NET 2005 b2 to do the development and press F5 to run
    it. Sometimes I press F6 to get a sanity check on whether I've screwed any
    code up.

    For production, I want the flexibility to be able to edit source on the
    production server to make an update on the fly, so the precompiled approach
    is not of interest.

    My main goal is to just be able to easily synchronize the work I do at home
    on the production server, and then get to work and easily update my local
    dev copy of the web app to reflect the changes I've made at home by syncing
    with the production server. Then I'll make changes at work, and when I get
    home, I'll want to sync my home machine up with what's now on the production
    server, and so forth. Currently I'm (trying) to use the Copy Web function
    for this. Is that appropriate and/or is there a better way?

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve Franks, Sep 12, 2005
  4. Steve Franks

    Steve Franks Guest

    Juan,

    Any ideas about what I posted below? Looking forward to your response. Than
    you so much.

    Steve,

    Steve Franks, Sep 13, 2005
  5. Steve Franks

    Brock Allen Guest

    I would check your web project's properties under MSBuild.

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen

    Brock Allen, Sep 13, 2005
  6. Steve Franks

    Steve Franks Guest

    Well, there seems to be some sort of a conflict or design issue here with
    this restriction.

    I decided I'd just delete my App_Code directory from the remote site. I
    figured this would be OK since its tellin gme the application is
    precompiled. Yet then when I go to run a page it complains "The name
    'myclass' does not exist in the current context". So if everything was
    precompiled and no app_code directory is needed then what's the problem
    here?

    My preference is to precompile locally as I test and run my app, and then
    when I publish to the remote server I want to publish all the files. I
    can't seem to work around this. Any ideas?

    Steve

    Steve Franks, Sep 14, 2005
  7. re:
    > My preference is to precompile locally as I test and run my app

    I thought you had said you did *not* precompile.
    There's a difference between "precompile" and "compile".

    Which one are you doing ?

    Have you tried to FTP your files instead of "publishing" them ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 14, 2005
  8. Steve Franks

    Steve Franks Guest

    Sorry about the confusion. Let me explain specifically what I'm trying to
    do.

    Locally I'm using whatever the default settings are, as it relates to
    precompiling. When I look at the property pages of my ASP.NET web
    application, and click on the Build section, the revelant sections say
    "Before running startup page: Build Web Site". And "Build solution action"
    section has the check box checked for "Build web site as part of solution".

    That is how I like to run things because I prefer to know about any mishaps
    I've made coding-wise before the page runs.

    Now over to production... I like the Copy Web function because it seems like
    a convenient way from within VS.NET 2005 Beta 2 to easily have it sync the
    production site with changes as I make them in development.

    However recently I added a App_Code folder with a few utility classes I've
    created. Now when I do the Copy Web the production site complains that the
    App_Code folder is not allowed.

    So my questions specifically are:

    1) Is there a way where I can still use Copy Web in this scenario?

    2) If not, how do I tell my local machine to not precompile and clear itself
    from any precompiled files, so that when I do a copy web the remote site is
    not in a precompiled mote? In other words, I assume my local machine has
    the precompiled files that are being copied with Copy Web. So I do these
    get deleted, and how do I set things set up locally so its no longer
    prcompiled, so that my production server will be happy once I do a complete
    Copy Web to try and straighten things out?

    3) If I have to resort to a FTP copy, files with what extension should get
    copied specifically? Or perhaps its easier toi look at it the other way -
    which file extensions need to be deleted from the production server so it
    does not see the web pages there as being "precompiled"?

    Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to your answer as I have been stuck on
    this for a few days. I really appreciate the help.

    Steve

    Steve Franks, Sep 14, 2005
  9. Hi, Steve.

    What this sounds like is that, at some point, the "Publish Web Site"
    tool was used instead of the "Copy Web" tool, and that the
    "Allow this precompiled site to be updatable" option was not selected.

    See : http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1y1404zt
    for a step-by-step guide to using the "Publish Web Site" tool.

    You can change the "Allow this site...to be updatable" option.

    You might also want to take a look at the "Copying a website" walkthrough:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xay0wxbf

    and at : http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1cc82atw
    "Copying Web Sites with the Copy Web Site Tool"

    You might be missing a key step in the process,
    and reviewing those walkthroughs might point it out to you.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 14, 2005
  10. Steve Franks

    Steve Franks Guest

    Thanks. I thnk you hit the nail on the head in that at one point a long
    time ago I did use the Publish Web Site tool and probably did not check that
    option.

    It looks like I've resolved it by deleting the entire remote site and then
    using Copy Web over again.

    Steve Franks, Sep 14, 2005
  11. Steve Franks

    Steve Franks Guest

    Thanks again Juan. On a different subject - since we are talking I was
    wondering what approach you use to resolve the issue I posted about in a
    posting called: "How to remove virtual path from root url of dev web server"
    in this newsgroup on August 28. Likewise I have a similiar issue that I
    posted about under the subject "Masterpage issue with relative links to
    background images" on August 27.

    It would be great if you could please share your thoughts on these
    challenges.

    Thank you,

    Steve Franks, Sep 14, 2005
  12. Steve Franks

    JeanCastNet

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    The application is being precompiled when you use the "Copy Web" function but retaining the app_code folder.

    After you copy it over using the Copy Web function try the following:
    1) You can try to manually delete the app_code folder at the production server location after you copy it over.
    Or
    2) delete the App_Code.dll in the Bin Directory . you may also have a precompiled.config file that is in the root directory of your site that also needs to be deleted .
    If you get a Global.ASAX Ambiguous error. then also delete the GlobalAsax.dll in the Bin Directory

    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
    JeanCastNet, Jun 10, 2010