The dreaded asp.clipboard

Guest

Hello all

I have the need to copy something to the clipboard via 3rd party type library and then pick it up on the .NET side via the clipboard (all server-side). To complicate the issue, the application needs to be web oriented (ASP.NET)

I have a console version that work, but I can’t seem to get the ASP side working. I have included the Forms assembly and I'm able to write to the clipboard via the 3rd party, but the clipboard is always unassigned (null) in ASP.NET when in fact the clipboard can be pasted into PhotoShop

I’ve searched a lot of articles about this issue. Some suggest that it’s a permissions issue. To rule out permissions, I have the site impersonate. The impersonating identity is myself and since I can past into Photoshop, I can only assume my identity has access to the clipboard

Any insight is appreciated

Thanks
Bil

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

this is a permissions issue. your aspnet account needs permission to
manipulate system resources on the desktop

Guest

Alvin,
Thanks for the response

Maybe I'm missing something else then. Before impersionation I tried setting the processModel user to SYSTEM, and had the same problem. I have also added the ASPNET account to the 'run as part of the operation system' policy with no luck

When I call, clipboardData.GetDataPresent(DataFormats.Bitmap) the exception being returned is null object (Object reference not set to an instance of an object.). The most likely cause is permissions, but as far as I can tell I've tried giving the adequate permissions - or am I missing something

Thanks again
Bill

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

can you impersonate to an authenticated user and see if this works?

Otherwise post your code and i'll work with you on it