    how can I make this flaky heap of junk show me the normal 4 tabs

    regards and many thanks in advance

    CharlesA

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Nov 10, 2006

  2. ASP.Net requires a web server running the ASP.Net ISAPI to work. It is
    HTTP-Protocol-based, and can not be run as a file-based web.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    Ministry of Software Development
    http://unclechutney.blogspot.com

    If you have little, is that your lot?

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 10, 2006

  3. Did you create the membership database with the aspnet_regsql tool ?

    If you have not yet created the membership database, exit the Web Site
    Administration tool, use the aspnet_regsql command-line utility to create
    and configure the database, and then return to the WAT to set the provider.

    aspnet_regsql.exe is located in the .Net Framework directory :

    Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 10, 2006
  4. Kevin, are you sure about that? I seem to remember using it on a machine the
    other day (not my home one) with a file based system

    Juan, surely I don't have to create the database first, how does the WAT
    tool know that I want to do data stuff, I might just want to change some
    config type things

    I'm willing to give it a go, but I thought that the WAT tool itself created
    the databases in App_data and that you used aspnet_regsql to change the
    location of the database

    Thanks for your posts so far any further reaction to what I've said here
    would be really appreciated

    Regards
    CharlesA

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Nov 10, 2006
  5. Hi,

    CharlesA wrote:
    > Kevin, are you sure about that? I seem to remember using it on a machine the
    > other day (not my home one) with a file based system

    You can use file-based web in ASP.NET 2.0 only (not 1.1), and only from
    Visual Studio, because it has a built-in development web server. You
    cannot however run ASP.NET based pages/services using the file:// protocol.

    So you're both right ;-)

    HTH,
    Laurent

    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

    Laurent Bugnion, Nov 10, 2006
  6. thanks Laurent,

    i am indeed using http://

    I moved to a local IIS based website (through a virtual dir) and there I
    can't even see my default.aspx let alone use the WAT

    this is the error I get

    This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are
    visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.

    despite having used added in MAIN\ASPNET (main is my machine name) into the
    directory security tab

    I had none of these security probs in .net 1.1, now with VS 2005 I can't use
    my local IIS anymore and if I try to use the WAT I'm told that it has timed
    out, what am I missing (I'm at home and I'm the admin) any ideas on the
    missing steps that I failed to take after installing both VS2005 with .net
    2.0 and SServer 2005 on an XP pro machine?

    Regards and thanks again for any help
    CharlesA

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Nov 10, 2006
  7. just out of interest folks...if I go for a complete reinstall of all this (to
    sort it out) what do I install first,

    a) .Net2.0/Visual Studio 2005 and then SQL server 2005
    b) the othe way round
    c) it doesn't matter

    Regards
    CharlesA

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Nov 10, 2006
  8. re:
    > I might just want to change some config type things

    There's very little you can change in web.config using the WAT.

    If that's all you want to do, change the website to http-based,
    and use the ASP.NET configuration manager in the MMC.

    Using the WAT for minor web.config configuration changes is spotty,
    at best, since there's a lot of settings you don't have access to from the WAT tool.

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 10, 2006
  9. re:
    > a) .Net2.0/Visual Studio 2005 and then SQL server 2005

    ..Net2.0, SQL Server 2005 (Express, presumably), then Visual Studio 2005

    Juan T. Llibre, Nov 10, 2006
  10. ah yes Juan, but I needed to follow some steps in a tutorial so that
    eventually I can use the Membership stuff, now either my website full stop
    doesn't work with IIS or my WAT doesn't work with either the built-in web
    server or IIS
    Regards and thanks,
    Charles

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxlc0E=?=, Nov 10, 2006
  11. FYI

    "Kevin Spencer"

    > ASP.Net requires a web server

    Not really - just a process to handle:

    HttpRuntime.ProcessRequest Method
    Drives all ASP.NET Web processing execution

    > running the ASP.Net ISAPI to work. It is
    > HTTP-Protocol-based, and can not be
    > run as a file-based web.

    Well it all depends on what your goal is:
    perhaps a sales CD (etc.) that looks like
    it is using a "web server", or whatever!

    Anyway here are two oldies but goodies:

    "HTML is often thought of as the sole
    domain for Web applications. But HTML's
    versatile display attributes are also
    very useful for handling data display of
    all sorts in desktop applications. "

    Hosting the ASP.Net Runtime in desktop applications
    http://www.west-wind.com/presentations/aspnetruntime/aspnetruntime.asp

    Executing ASPX pages without a web server
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0105476/stories/2002/07/12/executingAspxPagesWithoutAWebServer.html

    Flowering Weeds, Nov 10, 2006
  12. I stand corrected! Or at least, adjusted!

    --
    ;-),

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 11, 2006