The error "Use of uninitialized value "

A. Sinan Unur

Nonsense. I said nothing whatsoever about *what* questions A. Sinan
chose to answer. I commented on the manner in which he chose to answer
them.

Comments like his "what error?" are not helpful. How could the OP
reasonably be expected to infer from those two words that the message
he received was a warning, rather than an error?

By reading the complete post (as he expected everyone here to read his).
Well then, it's a good thing I didn't take any such attitude.

You implictly did by calling my comments "line-by-line bitching".

It seems to me that you did not like my "Which error?" question, and
that is fine. But I am at a loss to see the big difference between my
comments and Brian McCauley's comments to the OP's code.

If I (and Brian McCauley) had not chosen to comment on the rest of the
code, the OP would have changed the name of his subroutine to my_stats
and thought everything else with the code was OK, and gone on his merry
way.

Where is the "civility" in helping someone avoid a pothole but not
warning him of the cliff ahead?

Sinan

Sherm Pendley

A. Sinan Unur said:
By reading the complete post

Are you serious? Really?

Do you honestly imagine that the OP would ignore the obvious disdain with
which you view him, and still be inclined to listen to the helpful bits
embedded within the ranting?

What you expect him to do would take a much thicker skin than most people
are blessed with.
Where is the "civility" in helping someone avoid a pothole but not
warning him of the cliff ahead?

You're asking me to defend a position I haven't taken.

sherm--