The file '/Customer/Login.aspx' has not been pre-compiled...

Mike

I have an asp.net 2.0 web application that I have pre-compiled and deployed
to a Windows 2003 server. When I try to access the web application I get the
following message in my browser:

'The file '/Customer/Login.aspx' has not been pre-compiled, and cannot be
requested'.

If I rename the folder containing the web app to something other than
'Customer' then it works! I have tried deleting the folder and recreating it
but I get the same problem. I have also copied the folder to another server
and it works without any problems.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mike,

As for the problem you mentioned, I have performed some research in our
internal case records and did found some former cases with the similar
problem. Here are some possible scenarios that will occur such problem:

1) When we publish the website with the ¡°updateable¡± check OFF and then
copy some
files on deployment location that has some markup or code in them. By
putting the
¡°updateable¡± check OFF we instruct the asp.net compiler to compile all
the markup
and code into dll files so that further on asp.net would not consider
runtime
compilation of content. But if it needs to (due to the presence of such
content) it
will throw that error.

2) The second situation is when we have a web application configured in
VS.Net to
run directly off IIS (the http project) and then we publish it to the same
location
again with the ¡°updateable¡° checked OFF. There will be development files
at same
location which will cause similar errors.

3) Another situation is where we have a precompiled website and within the
root
folder of it we have another folder that has content for another asp.net
application but isn¡¯t marked as application in IIS. ASP.Net tracks asp.net
applications when running on IIS by virtual directories in IIS marked as
applications. A child folder having un-compiled content within a parent
application
which is precompiled will again cause this error.

So far I've found the following workarounds and solutions according to the
above cases:

Giving the target location for Publishing as a local folder and then
copying the contents to the actual IIS machine. We created a mapped drive
for the remote location on the development machine and gave this drive as
the
target location in the Publish dialog. We had the "Updateable" check ON but
the "Fixed Naming check OFF.

Since this problem is not quite easy to troubleshoot the root cause, if you
still get error after try the above approahes, I suggest you contact CSS
for further troubleshooting.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Mike

I have now got it working thanks to Microsoft Support.

The solution was to remove the Web Application and delete the temporary
files located in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary
ASP.NET Files\customer.