    and it works without any problems.

    Has anyone got any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Mike, Jun 13, 2007

  2. Hi Mike,

    As for the problem you mentioned, I have performed some research in our
    internal case records and did found some former cases with the similar
    problem. Here are some possible scenarios that will occur such problem:

    1) When we publish the website with the ¡°updateable¡± check OFF and then
    copy some
    files on deployment location that has some markup or code in them. By
    putting the
    ¡°updateable¡± check OFF we instruct the asp.net compiler to compile all
    the markup
    and code into dll files so that further on asp.net would not consider
    runtime
    compilation of content. But if it needs to (due to the presence of such
    content) it
    will throw that error.

    2) The second situation is when we have a web application configured in
    VS.Net to
    run directly off IIS (the http project) and then we publish it to the same
    location
    again with the ¡°updateable¡° checked OFF. There will be development files
    at same
    location which will cause similar errors.

    3) Another situation is where we have a precompiled website and within the
    root
    folder of it we have another folder that has content for another asp.net
    application but isn¡¯t marked as application in IIS. ASP.Net tracks asp.net
    applications when running on IIS by virtual directories in IIS marked as
    applications. A child folder having un-compiled content within a parent
    application
    which is precompiled will again cause this error.

    So far I've found the following workarounds and solutions according to the
    above cases:

    Giving the target location for Publishing as a local folder and then
    copying the contents to the actual IIS machine. We created a mapped drive
    for the remote location on the development machine and gave this drive as
    the
    target location in the Publish dialog. We had the "Updateable" check ON but
    the "Fixed Naming check OFF.

    Since this problem is not quite easy to troubleshoot the root cause, if you
    still get error after try the above approahes, I suggest you contact CSS
    for further troubleshooting.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 14, 2007

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I have now got it working thanks to Microsoft Support.

    The solution was to remove the Web Application and delete the temporary
    files located in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary
    ASP.NET Files\customer.

    Mike, Jun 21, 2007