the folder path '?' contains an invalid character

Brian

I have an asp.net application with a deployment project. I have set
the product name and the company name to contain only valid
characters. When I run the msi, if I leave the port # to the default
port (80), then it works fine. If I change the port number to
something else I get the error above, the files get copied to the
correct location, but the folders and their contents are copied to the
c:\ path. This does not happen for other applications. I don't know
what to look for anymore.

kangfucius

It would seem that the setup program attempts to connect to the port
specifed in the "Web Application Folder".Port property of the setup
project. Thus if 8080 were specified, then on installing the msi file,
setup would attempt to connect to the URL on port 8080. If no web site
exists on this port then setup spews out the error "folder path '?'
contains an invalid character..."

It would be safer to keep the Port value at 80 (as most IIS
installations has a default web site on this port) and change the port
to a different port at installation time.