The Future of Java Development.....

vgps68

I've been programming using Java professionally since 1998 after doing
VB programming for a few years. JDBC opened the gates, servlets added
output, jsp added even more output, taglibs inverted everything, and
then there was Struts (and 5 other competitors), Spring, Hibernate
(and 5 other competitors), 14 different App Servers, the endless horde
of IBM outpourings, the current XML purgatory that is stuck in the
middle of everything, Oracle jumping in etc etc etc etc. IntelliJ,
NetBeans and Eclipse seem to be the primary dev. tools - JDeveloper is
excellent as well and I'm sure there are others.

What was once a simple, fun and creative process that was
intellectually challenging and paid pretty well until our Corporate
Masters decided we could be replaced by anyone from anyplace else who
would work for less has become an absolute hellish quagmire of
configuration conflicts, code version inconsistencies, 20 minute
builds for 'Hello World' jsp files, so many jar files you need an
external hard drive etc. etc. etc.

Am I the only one tired of this?

I've recently been exploring Seam, EJB3/Hibernate and JSF (NO JSPs
allowed). I can actually create 'pages' graphically with NetBeans 6,
adjust properties to HTML items and attach events to these items. Seam
cuts out most of the idiotic middle-level mapping between tables and
POJOS, uses annotations to get rid of tons of XML. Seam requires a
fair number of XML files but no more than six or seven (I can live
with that). I'm by no means an expert in any of this, but I've spent
about 40 hours experimenting with this combination of technologies and
I'm just about sold.

Anyone have any opinions on all of this?

Arne Vajhøj

[...]

That is the the direction most are going.

Note though that I am not so convinced that we in 5 years
still will consider annotations scattered all over the code
better than central XML files.
> What was once a simple, fun and creative process that was
> intellectually challenging and paid pretty well until our Corporate
> Masters decided we could be replaced by anyone from anyplace else who
> would work for less has become an absolute hellish quagmire of
> configuration conflicts, code version inconsistencies, 20 minute
> builds for 'Hello World' jsp files, so many jar files you need an
> external hard drive etc. etc. etc.

That has not really anything to do with technology.

Arne

Marcelo Morales

Hello

I've recently been exploring Seam, EJB3/Hibernate and JSF (NO JSPs
allowed). I can actually create 'pages' graphically with NetBeans 6,
adjust properties to HTML items and attach events to these items. Seam
cuts out most of the idiotic middle-level mapping between tables and
POJOS, uses annotations to get rid of tons of XML. Seam requires a
fair number of XML files but no more than six or seven (I can live
with that). I'm by no means an expert in any of this, but I've spent
about 40 hours experimenting with this combination of technologies and
I'm just about sold.

Anyone have any opinions on all of this?

I'm just finishing my first seam application. Will go into production
in the next few weeks. It is a small/mediumish project (about 35
klojsc). Let me tell you, it was not pain free. You still have a
couple of things to learn and a couple of problems to solve, just like
any other framework. What I like about it is that some hard problems
are well solved, like security, the conversational context and the
transaction mechanisms.

Regards

MM

vgps68