The Great Ruby GUI Toolkit Roundup

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ed Howland, Sep 21, 2010.

  1. Ed Howland

    Ed Howland Guest

    Hi,

    I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
    complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
    any that I have most certainly missed.

    I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
    licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.

    If this duplicates another effort, please let me know.

    I plan on adding other columns as they become apparent. Such as a
    "Gem?" collumn. Ruby version dependency (1.8, 1.9).

    [1] http://bit.ly/ald6IP

    Or the full link:

    Ruby GUI Feature Matrix -
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...EJXeXlUVlRGdGQzbkJlbXc&hl=en&authkey=CKHc3rwM

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed Howland, Sep 21, 2010

  2. On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 03:04:47AM +0900, Ed Howland wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
    > complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
    > any that I have most certainly missed.
    >
    > I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
    > licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.

    I've been working with the IUP toolkit in C for the past week or so; and
    I see where it has a ruby binding ruby-iup . I've been really
    impressed with the toolkit itself. ruby-iup failed to build for me, but
    that may well be due to my specific box ( I tend to get a lot of
    bleeding edge libs and such in the way on my box ) since it looks like
    the source is fairly recent.

    http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/en/prod.html

    reid

    Reid Thompson, Sep 21, 2010

    I was going to add some stuff for Shoes, but I can't edit the sheet.

    License: BSD

    repo: http://github.com/shoes/shoes

    Steve Klabnik, Sep 21, 2010
  4. Ed Howland

    Ed Howland Guest

    Thanks,

    I added it. Feel free to plug any holes in the spreadsheet for it.

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed Howland
    http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/ed_howland

    On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Reid Thompson <> wro=
    te:

    Ed Howland, Sep 21, 2010
  5. Ed Howland

    Ed Howland Guest

    Ed Howland, Sep 21, 2010
  6. Ed Howland

    Ed Howland Guest

    Sorry, My bad.

    Anyone who has the link can edit it now.

    Ed Howland, Sep 21, 2010
  7. Hi,

    ruby/Gnome2 is also distributed in gem form - the gem name is
    'gtk2'. ruby/gtk2 doesn't exist as a standalone package, it's just a
    part of ruby/gnome2.

    --
    Andrea Dallera
    http://github.com/bolthar/freightrain

    Andrea Dallera, Sep 22, 2010
  8. Ed Howland

    Ed Howland Guest

    Thanks, Andrea.

    I see you added that.

    Do you know if it is covered under the GPL?

    BTW, thanks to all who've stepped up to the plate and plugged some
    holes in the chart.

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed Howland
    http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/ed_howland

    On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 2:03 AM, Andrea Dallera
    <> wrote:
    > =A0Hi,
    >
    > =A0 =A0ruby/Gnome2 is also distributed in gem form - the gem name is 'gtk=

    2'.
    > ruby/gtk2 doesn't exist as a standalone package, it's just a part of
    > ruby/gnome2.
    >
    > --
    > Andrea Dallera
    > http://github.com/bolthar/freightrain
    > http://usingimho.wordpress.com
    >

    > Il 21/09/2010 20:04, Ed Howland ha scritto:
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
    >> complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
    >> any that I have most certainly missed.
    >>
    >> I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
    >> licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.
    >>
    >> If this duplicates another effort, please let me know.
    >>
    >> I plan on adding other columns as they become apparent. Such as a
    >> "Gem?" collumn. Ruby version dependency (1.8, 1.9).
    >>

    >> [1] http://bit.ly/ald6IP
    >>
    >> Or the full link:
    >>
    >> Ruby GUI Feature Matrix -
    >>
    >> https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=3D0AhXm-H2N4yCkdHFlVU1KcEJXeXlUV=

    lRGdGQzbkJlbXc&hl=3Den&authkey=3DCKHc3rwM

    Ed Howland, Sep 22, 2010
  9. Ed Howland

    Fred L. Guest

    Hi,
    I'm a beginner with Ruby, but also take some time to find a GUI toolkit
    for it.

    I found two that are not in your spreadsheet.

    a recent and for now simple wrapper for win32api :
    http://github.com/arvicco/win
    with a gem : http://rubygems.org/gems/win
    and doc : http://rubydoc.info/github/arvicco/win_gui/master/frames

    an old one but more complete with several samples and some doc (a part
    of the doc is only in Japanese) :
    http://www.osk.3web.ne.jp/~nyasu/vruby/vrproject-e.html
    there's a link to a formdesigner, but it doesn't work with Ruby 1.9.

    Fred..

    Fred L., Sep 23, 2010
  10. Ed Howland

    Ed Howland Guest

    On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Fred L. <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm a beginner with Ruby, but also take some time to find a GUI toolkit
    > for it.
    >
    > I found two that are not in your spreadsheet.
    >
    > a recent and for now simple wrapper for win32api :
    > http://github.com/arvicco/win
    > with a gem : http://rubygems.org/gems/win
    > and doc : http://rubydoc.info/github/arvicco/win_gui/master/frames
    >
    > an old one but more complete with several samples and some doc (a part
    > of the doc is only in Japanese) :
    > http://www.osk.3web.ne.jp/~nyasu/vruby/vrproject-e.html
    > there's a link to a formdesigner, but it doesn't work with Ruby 1.9.

    Yes, I planned on adding some platform specific ones, esp. win32 ones.

    I like the first one as it uses FFI and has a simpler syntax.

    Both look like worthy additions to the chart. Feel free to add them.

    Ed Howland, Sep 23, 2010
  11. Ed Howland

    Ed Howland Guest

    I thought about adding some columns:

    a) mailing list URL, or mailto link
    b) twitter tag, if any

    There is a column for source repo, which usually contains this info at
    the bottom of README, but it might be helpful if someone has a single
    source for the info.

    Thoughts?

    Ed Howland, Sep 23, 2010
  12. Where did the spreadsheet go? Any possibility to store it somewhere more
    permanent?

    Vale,
    Marvin

    Marvin Gülker, Mar 9, 2011
  13. Ed Howland

    serialhex Guest

    there was a spreadsheet?? really i'd like to see a nice GUI roundup for
    ruby. for most of my projects that need a (simple) GUI i've been using gos=
    (yes, the game engine) and it's served me better than anything else i've
    tried. though i'm very interested in what else the community has to offer!
    hex

    serialhex, Mar 9, 2011
  14. On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:34 PM, serialhex <> wrote:
    > =A0though i'm very interested in what else the community has to offer!
    > hex

    Ruby has GNOME, and KDE/Qt bindings, as well as wxWidgets bindings.
    For JRuby, there's Monkeybars (for Java's GUI).

    Cross-platform support generally exists for Ruby 1.8.6 on Windows.

    --=20
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Though the folk I have met,
    (Ah, how soon!) they forget