The Great Ruby GUI Toolkit Roundup

Ed Howland

Hi,

I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
any that I have most certainly missed.

I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.

If this duplicates another effort, please let me know.

I plan on adding other columns as they become apparent. Such as a
"Gem?" collumn. Ruby version dependency (1.8, 1.9).

[1] http://bit.ly/ald6IP

Or the full link:

Ruby GUI Feature Matrix -
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...EJXeXlUVlRGdGQzbkJlbXc&hl=en&authkey=CKHc3rwM

Cheers,
Ed

Reid Thompson

Hi,

I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
any that I have most certainly missed.

I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.

I've been working with the IUP toolkit in C for the past week or so; and
I see where it has a ruby binding ruby-iup . I've been really
impressed with the toolkit itself. ruby-iup failed to build for me, but
that may well be due to my specific box ( I tend to get a lot of
bleeding edge libs and such in the way on my box ) since it looks like
the source is fairly recent.

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/en/prod.html

reid

Ed Howland

Thanks,

I added it. Feel free to plug any holes in the spreadsheet for it.

Cheers,
Ed

Ed Howland
http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/ed_howland

Hi,

I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
any that I have most certainly missed.

I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.

I've been working with the IUP toolkit in C for the past week or so; and
I see where it has a ruby binding =A0ruby-iup . =A0I've been really
impressed with the toolkit itself. =A0ruby-iup failed to build for me, bu= t
that may well be due to my specific box ( I tend to get a lot of
bleeding edge libs and such in the way on my box ) since it looks like
the source is fairly recent.

http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/iup/en/prod.html

reid

Ed Howland

Thanks, Andrea.

I see you added that.

Do you know if it is covered under the GPL?

BTW, thanks to all who've stepped up to the plate and plugged some
holes in the chart.

Cheers,
Ed

Ed Howland
http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/ed_howland

=A0Hi,

=A0 =A0ruby/Gnome2 is also distributed in gem form - the gem name is 'gtk= 2'.
ruby/gtk2 doesn't exist as a standalone package, it's just a part of
ruby/gnome2.

--
Andrea Dallera
http://github.com/bolthar/freightrain

Il 21/09/2010 20:04, Ed Howland ha scritto:
Hi,

I've started a Ruby GUI toolkit Feature Matrix [1]. It is far from
complete, but it covers a few basic ones. Feel free to edit and add
any that I have most certainly missed.

I am going to touch this again in a few days and research the
licensing and get x-platform holes filled in.

If this duplicates another effort, please let me know.

I plan on adding other columns as they become apparent. Such as a
"Gem?" collumn. Ruby version dependency (1.8, 1.9).

[1] http://bit.ly/ald6IP

Or the full link:

Ruby GUI Feature Matrix -

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=3D0AhXm-H2N4yCkdHFlVU1KcEJXeXlUV= lRGdGQzbkJlbXc&hl=3Den&authkey=3DCKHc3rwM

Cheers,
Ed

Fred L.

Hi,
I'm a beginner with Ruby, but also take some time to find a GUI toolkit
for it.

I found two that are not in your spreadsheet.

a recent and for now simple wrapper for win32api :
http://github.com/arvicco/win
with a gem : http://rubygems.org/gems/win
and doc : http://rubydoc.info/github/arvicco/win_gui/master/frames

an old one but more complete with several samples and some doc (a part
of the doc is only in Japanese) :
http://www.osk.3web.ne.jp/~nyasu/vruby/vrproject-e.html
there's a link to a formdesigner, but it doesn't work with Ruby 1.9.

Fred..

Ed Howland

Hi,
I'm a beginner with Ruby, but also take some time to find a GUI toolkit
for it.

I found two that are not in your spreadsheet.

a recent and for now simple wrapper for win32api :
http://github.com/arvicco/win
with a gem : http://rubygems.org/gems/win
and doc : http://rubydoc.info/github/arvicco/win_gui/master/frames

an old one but more complete with several samples and some doc (a part
of the doc is only in Japanese) :
http://www.osk.3web.ne.jp/~nyasu/vruby/vrproject-e.html
there's a link to a formdesigner, but it doesn't work with Ruby 1.9.

Yes, I planned on adding some platform specific ones, esp. win32 ones.

I like the first one as it uses FFI and has a simpler syntax.

Both look like worthy additions to the chart. Feel free to add them.

Cheers,
Ed

Ed Howland
http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/ed_howland

Marvin Gülker

Where did the spreadsheet go? Any possibility to store it somewhere more
permanent?

Vale,
Marvin

serialhex

there was a spreadsheet?? really i'd like to see a nice GUI roundup for
ruby. for most of my projects that need a (simple) GUI i've been using gos=
(yes, the game engine) and it's served me better than anything else i've
tried. though i'm very interested in what else the community has to offer!
hex

Phillip Gawlowski

=A0though i'm very interested in what else the community has to offer!
hex

Ruby has GNOME, and KDE/Qt bindings, as well as wxWidgets bindings.
For JRuby, there's Monkeybars (for Java's GUI).

Cross-platform support generally exists for Ruby 1.8.6 on Windows.

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget