The great Ruby web framework multi-app challenge

Ben (ducktyped)

I've been thinking a lot about multi-app web projects, and how none of
the Ruby web application frameworks I know offers a clean solution to
build a site that conveniently integrates multiple apps (e.g. a core
site and a forum).

Integrating a rails app with beast (a rails forum engine) for example is
just as cumbersome as integrating a rails app with a php forum engine.
This shouldn't be like that, when Ruby can offer so much more elegance.

I would like to get some insights from the community and stimulate a
productive discussion of multi-app capabilities for ruby web frameworks.
I wrote a longer blog post detailing what I think sucks about current
multi-app integration (exemplified by my works using rails), and how to
fix some of it.

There are currently a lot of promising, growing ruby web frameworks, and
right now seems like a good time to put this out there for
consideration.

Here is the link to my full post:

http://ducktyped.com/2008/1/4/the-great-ruby-web-framework-multi-app-challenge

Thanks,
Ben

James Gray

I've been thinking a lot about multi-app web projects, and how none of
the Ruby web application frameworks I know offers a clean solution to
build a site that conveniently integrates multiple apps (e.g. a core
site and a forum).

Camping has some support for this built-in. Like most things Camping
it's simple stuff, but still kind of neat.

James Edward Gray II

khaines

I've been thinking a lot about multi-app web projects, and how none of
the Ruby web application frameworks I know offers a clean solution to
build a site that conveniently integrates multiple apps (e.g. a core
site and a forum).

Integrating a rails app with beast (a rails forum engine) for example is
just as cumbersome as integrating a rails app with a php forum engine.
This shouldn't be like that, when Ruby can offer so much more elegance.

I would like to get some insights from the community and stimulate a
productive discussion of multi-app capabilities for ruby web frameworks.
I wrote a longer blog post detailing what I think sucks about current
multi-app integration (exemplified by my works using rails), and how to
fix some of it.

(*shrug*) I do it in IOWA all the time. Core site. Forum. Tools for
managing site information. Reports. Dynamically generated tables.
Multiple different apps for the customer's customers. Whatever.

Kirk Haines

Paul Stickney

I think part of the problem is the MVC approach taken by Rails.
While it does allow for a relatively clean abstraction, it is
"controller-driven".
This works well enough when all the logic is handled by *a single controller*.
Wicket (Java) and Lift (Scala), on the other hand, follow a
view-driven approach.
I'm just diving into Lift, but the approach seems promising: It may
work better for me. Or it may not.
At the very least, it's another approach to the same problem.

Ben (ducktyped)

(*shrug*) I do it in IOWA all the time. Core site. Forum. Tools for
managing site information. Reports. Dynamically generated tables.
Multiple different apps for the customer's customers. Whatever.

Kirk Haines

Kirk,

I also saw your twitter message ("Multiple apps in 1 Rails instance is a
problem? Maybe I should write an IOWA demo that does multiple apps +
multiple domains in 1 instance.")

I think that's a great idea (it could even be the start of IOWA's home
at swiftcore). Throwing in some ajax might help its marketing as well.

Ben