The ^*(*)&)( Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Shelly, Nov 29, 2007.

  1. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    I have the following:

    #index-02 {
    position:absolute;
    left:0px;
    top:132px;
    width:900px;
    /*height:39px;*/
    background-image: url(images/index_02.gif);
    }

    This dispalys perfectly in FF, but in IE7, the background image shows up
    twice as if it is tiling vertically. The invocation is very simple:

    The image appears twice, with the text from the table in the top one and
    nothing but the background image in the lower, second, one. I had the
    height specified, but then commented it out. Neither way works.

    --
    Shelly

    Shelly, Nov 29, 2007

  2. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    Shelly wrote:
    > I have the following:
    >
    > #index-02 {
    > position:absolute;
    > left:0px;
    > top:132px;
    > width:900px;
    > /*height:39px;*/
    > background-image: url(images/index_02.gif);
    > }
    >
    > This dispalys perfectly in FF, but in IE7, the background image shows
    > up twice as if it is tiling vertically. The invocation is very
    > simple:
    >
    > The image appears twice, with the text from the table in the top one
    > and nothing but the background image in the lower, second, one. I
    > had the height specified, but then commented it out. Neither way
    > works.

    Here is another thing. I have two more definitions:
    #index-03 {
    position:absolute;
    left:0px;
    top:171px;
    width:216px;
    height:480px;
    background-image: url(images/index_03.gif);

    }

    #index-04 {
    position:absolute;
    left:216px;
    top:171px;
    width:684px;
    height:143px;
    background-image: url(images/index_04.gif);

    }

    It turns out that index-04 covers the bottom tile, but index=03 doesn't.

    I am baffled.

    --
    Shelly

    Shelly, Nov 29, 2007

  3. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    Shelly wrote:
    > Shelly wrote:
    >> I have the following:
    >>
    >> #index-02 {
    >> position:absolute;
    >> left:0px;
    >> top:132px;
    >> width:900px;
    >> /*height:39px;*/
    >> background-image: url(images/index_02.gif);
    >> }
    >>
    >> This dispalys perfectly in FF, but in IE7, the background image shows
    >> up twice as if it is tiling vertically. The invocation is very
    >> simple:
    >>
    >> The image appears twice, with the text from the table in the top one
    >> and nothing but the background image in the lower, second, one. I
    >> had the height specified, but then commented it out. Neither way
    >> works.

    > Here is another thing. I have two more definitions:
    > #index-03 {
    > position:absolute;
    > left:0px;
    > top:171px;
    > width:216px;
    > height:480px;
    > background-image: url(images/index_03.gif);
    >
    > }
    >
    > #index-04 {
    > position:absolute;
    > left:216px;
    > top:171px;
    > width:684px;
    > height:143px;
    > background-image: url(images/index_04.gif);
    >
    > }
    >
    > It turns out that index-04 covers the bottom tile, but index=03
    > doesn't.
    > I am baffled.

    I would like to know the answer for this. In the meantime I have a HACK
    "fix". I made the z-index for index-02 to be 0 and made the z-index for
    index-03 and index-04 ro be 1. Now the bottom image from index-02 is
    maxked.

    --
    Shelly

    Shelly, Nov 29, 2007
  4. Shelly wrote:

    > I would like to know the answer for this.

    Post the URL.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 29, 2007
  5. While the city slept, Shelly () feverishly
    typed...

    [...]
    > background-image: url(images/index_02.gif);
    >
    > This dispalys perfectly in FF, but in IE7, the background image shows
    > up twice as if it is tiling vertically.

    [...]

    It is late here, and I have just got back from the pub, so maybe I am
    missing something... but have you considered using the "repeat" value? eg.
    background-repeat: no-repeat; ?

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address will bounce. | Take the DOG. out!

    nice.guy.nige, Nov 30, 2007
  6. Shelly

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    > While the city slept, Shelly () feverishly
    > typed...
    >
    > [...]
    >> background-image: url(images/index_02.gif);
    >>
    >> This dispalys perfectly in FF, but in IE7, the background image shows
    >> up twice as if it is tiling vertically.

    > [...]
    >
    > It is late here, and I have just got back from the pub, so maybe I am
    > missing something... but have you considered using the "repeat" value? eg.
    > background-repeat: no-repeat; ?

    Which you could combine with the css for your backround-image using CSS's
    background shorthand, like so?

    background: url(images/index_02.gif) no-repeat;

    Nik Coughlin, Nov 30, 2007
  7. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    nice.guy.nige wrote:
    > While the city slept, Shelly ()
    > feverishly typed...
    >
    > [...]
    >> background-image: url(images/index_02.gif);
    >>
    >> This dispalys perfectly in FF, but in IE7, the background image shows
    >> up twice as if it is tiling vertically.

    > [...]
    >
    > It is late here, and I have just got back from the pub, so maybe I am
    > missing something... but have you considered using the "repeat"
    > value? eg. background-repeat: no-repeat; ?

    No, I haven't. You see I am a php person and am just learning a lot of this
    stuff. Thanks. I'll try it.

    --
    Shelly

    Shelly, Nov 30, 2007
  8. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    >> While the city slept, Shelly ()
    >> feverishly typed...
    >>
    >> [...]
    >>> background-image: url(images/index_02.gif);
    >>>
    >>> This dispalys perfectly in FF, but in IE7, the background image
    >>> shows up twice as if it is tiling vertically.

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> It is late here, and I have just got back from the pub, so maybe I am
    >> missing something... but have you considered using the "repeat"
    >> value? eg. background-repeat: no-repeat; ?

    > Which you could combine with the css for your backround-image using
    > CSS's background shorthand, like so?
    >
    > background: url(images/index_02.gif) no-repeat;

    I tried this. Now the image doesn't appear at all.

    --
    Shelly

    Shelly, Nov 30, 2007
  9. Shelly wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    >>> While the city slept, Shelly ()
    >>> feverishly typed...
    >>>
    >>> [...]
    >>> [...]
    >>>
    >>> It is late here, and I have just got back from the pub, so maybe I am
    >>> missing something... but have you considered using the "repeat"
    >>> value? eg. background-repeat: no-repeat; ?

    >> Which you could combine with the css for your backround-image using
    >> CSS's background shorthand, like so?
    >>
    >> background: url(images/index_02.gif) no-repeat;

    > I tried this. Now the image doesn't appear at all.

    Shelly: Why don't we stop this guessing game "imagining what your page
    might look like" and you post a URL this time? I bet we can find the
    solution for you *first* shot.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 30, 2007
  10. Shelly

    dorayme Guest

    In article <9f8ee$474f9ce4$40cba7b8$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Shelly: Why don't we stop this guessing game "imagining what your page
    > might look like" and you post a URL this time? I bet we can find the
    > solution for you *first* shot.

    Was just thinking this very thing.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 30, 2007
  11. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <9f8ee$474f9ce4$40cba7b8$>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Shelly: Why don't we stop this guessing game "imagining what your page
    >> might look like" and you post a URL this time? I bet we can find the
    >> solution for you *first* shot.

    > Was just thinking this very thing.

    Yeah I know, and the sad thing is poor Shelly is not alone! I am just
    flabbergasted how many folks appear not to understand either that we
    *cannot* see what is on *their* monitor or that it would be very useful
    *to see it* to find the solution!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 30, 2007
  12. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <9f8ee$474f9ce4$40cba7b8$>,
    >> "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Shelly: Why don't we stop this guessing game "imagining what your
    >>> page might look like" and you post a URL this time? I bet we can
    >>> find the solution for you *first* shot.

    >> Was just thinking this very thing.
    >>

    > Yeah I know, and the sad thing is poor Shelly is not alone! I am just
    > flabbergasted how many folks appear not to understand either that we
    > *cannot* see what is on *their* monitor or that it would be very
    > useful *to see it* to find the solution!

    I put the file up on my server and stripped it down to just that item. No
    problem in IE. So, I went back to the original and starting knocking things
    out, section by section. I got down to just that section where the image
    was invoked with the id="index-02" inside a div. Also inside that div was
    text for a bunch of menu items that went over the image. Still had the
    problem with only that. When I removed the text stuff, no problem. OK,
    that told me it was in the text stuff. I went in and removed chunks at a
    time. All the menu chunks were gone and still there was the problem. That
    left only the structure around the text to have caused the problem. Then I
    saw it. The web designer had put in a height="58" in a <table>
    specification. When I deleted that, the problem was gone.

    So, once again, when I tried to prepare a simple file for all of you to help
    me with, I found the problem.

    Thank you all for your help.

    --
    Shelly

    Shelly, Nov 30, 2007
  13. "Shelly" <> writes:

    > So, once again, when I tried to prepare a simple file for all of you to help
    > me with, I found the problem.

    That's actually a *big* part of why the regulars here ask for the smallest
    example page that illustrates the problem. In the process of reducing the
    page to the minimum necessary code to duplicate the problem, you'll quite
    often find the solution too.

    sherm--

    --
    WV News, Blogging, and Discussion: http://wv-www.com