    Thanks for any advice,

    Andrew.

    , Apr 6, 2006

  2. Steve Pugh Guest

    wrote:

    > I have just finished adding a series of link (head) tags to my
    >father's family history site:
    >
    >http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/strongs/chapter_8.html
    >
    > The tags are:
    >
    ><link href="chapter_7.html" rel="prev" />
    ><link href="chapter_9.html" rel="next" />
    >
    > I suspect that it will make no difference but should the first tag
    >actually be:
    >
    ><link href="chapter_7.html" rev="prev" />

    No.
    rev="rev" would mean that Chapter 8 is the previous page to Chapter 7
    which is not usually the case.

    Rev and rel work like this.

    If A has a rel="foo" with respect to B
    Then B has a rev="foo" with respect to A.

    So in your original example, you could write
    <link href="chapter_7.html" rel="prev" rev="next" />
    <link href="chapter_9.html" rel="next" rev="prev" />

    As Chapter 7 is previous to Chapter 8, and hence the reverse is true:
    Chapter 8 is next to Chapter 7. Likewse, Chapter 9 is next to Chapter
    8 and the reverse is that Chapter 8 is previous to Chapter 9.

    However, other than rev="made" there is no support at all for rev
    values so you might as well forget them entirely.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Apr 6, 2006

  3. Marc Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > <link href="chapter_7.html" rel="prev" rev="next" />
    > <link href="chapter_9.html" rel="next" rev="prev" />
    >
    > As Chapter 7 is previous to Chapter 8, and hence the reverse is true:
    > Chapter 8 is next to Chapter 7. Likewse, Chapter 9 is next to Chapter
    > 8 and the reverse is that Chapter 8 is previous to Chapter 9.
    >
    > However, other than rev="made" there is no support at all for rev
    > values so you might as well forget them entirely.

    What is the point in these next page and last page links - do they aid
    search engines?

    Marc

    Marc, Apr 6, 2006
  4. Steve Pugh Guest

    Marc <> wrote:
    >Steve Pugh wrote:
    >> <link href="chapter_7.html" rel="prev" rev="next" />
    >> <link href="chapter_9.html" rel="next" rev="prev" />
    >>
    >> As Chapter 7 is previous to Chapter 8, and hence the reverse is true:
    >> Chapter 8 is next to Chapter 7. Likewse, Chapter 9 is next to Chapter
    >> 8 and the reverse is that Chapter 8 is previous to Chapter 9.
    >>
    >> However, other than rev="made" there is no support at all for rev
    >> values so you might as well forget them entirely.

    >What is the point in these next page and last page links - do they aid
    >search engines?

    They are use to provide standardised navgation bars in many browsers
    (natively in, for example, Opera, Mozilla, Lynx and Safari and via
    extensions in irefox and IE). And also trigger some browser specific
    behaviour (e.g. Opera uses links marked as rel="next" in its Fast
    Forward feature and some other browsers feth and pre-cache similarly
    marked pages).

    I have no idea whether search engines do anything with them. I suspect
    not, as spammers would use them to link to pages via a mechanism that
    many users (IE and Firefox users without the add on) wouldn't see.

    Steve Pugh, Apr 6, 2006
  5. Andy Dingley Guest

    Marc wrote:

    > What is the point in these next page and last page links - do they aid
    > search engines?

    Not really - any more than any other linkage.

    What they're good for is with a smart browser that recognises them and
    pulls the links out onto a toolbar (there are some Firefox extensions
    that do this, and a number of phone browsers do it onto physical
    buttons). This is a really nice way to navigate through a multi-page
    site, because you're using the same button for every link, for every
    site. This is a UI feature that the user can customise to be
    consistent, i.e. same button, same toolbar for every site.

    It's a feature well worth implementing.

    OTOH, most of the extensions I've seen that support this also need to
    support sites that don't provide these links - so they also have
    scanners that scan the page and look for <a> links with text that
    suggests they might be the "next page" link. It's still a great
    feature, but the UI's work-around means that the "properly done"
    version doesn't actually work that much better than the simpler version.

    Andy Dingley, Apr 6, 2006