The linkbutton file picker for webmail (Hotmail, gmail) file attachments, possible in aspnet?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Li-fan Chen, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Li-fan Chen

    Li-fan Chen Guest

    Hi guys,

    I don't know how Hotmail and Gmail pulls it off, but when you need to attach
    a file to your email, you just click a linkbutton and a file picker pops up.
    And when it closes it automatically uploads. It's simpler for two reasons:
    1) You can style the linkbutton. If we can use an image it'd be even cooler.
    But linkbutton is a start.
    2) There's no text field containing the path to the file choice. You can
    argue this is unnecessary to remove, I just like the simplicity by omitting
    it.
    3) It automatically uploads upon file picker dialog close. You don't have to
    click a second button to make the upload happen.

    I'd love to have that simplicity in our file pickers. Can anyone give us
    some tips on how its done or sample code? We work on ASP.NET in VS.NET 2003.
    Your assistance or heads-up is greatly appreciated!

    Best regards,
    -- Li-fan Chen
    Li-fan Chen, Mar 2, 2006