    Can anyone tell me something about?

    Thanks

    Manfred
    Manfred Preussig, May 30, 2004

  2. Manfred Preussig

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:>
    Manfred Preussig <> said:

    > hello,

    g'day

    > I want to use this small windows appearing if mouse is on the keyword

    how about the title attribute?

    > and automatically disappearing if mouse is moved of or after a short
    > time delay.

    it depends on the browser but its better if the cute little popup
    doesn't disappear until the mouse is moved, something IE doesn't do and
    moz only does on the first or second monitor.

    > I want to give some additional help on keywords I use at my
    > hp to explain them to people don't know what this keyword means without
    > (or only with low) annoying to people knowing this word's meaning.

    whats wrong with footnotes at the bottom of the page? much better than
    the title attribute or any other kind of popup thingy.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, May 30, 2004

  3. Manfred Preussig <> wrote:

    > I want to use this small windows appearing if mouse is on the keyword
    > and automatically disappearing if mouse is moved of or after a short
    > time delay.

    Sounds like you want to use the title="..." attribute. You can use it on
    almost any element, such as an <em> element, but mostly you would use the
    although <abbr> and <acronym> elements are often recommended for
    abbreviations and acronyms, they should be used with great caution if at
    all. (See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/abbr.html )

    > I want to give some additional help on keywords I use at
    > my hp to explain them to people don't know what this keyword means
    > without (or only with low) annoying to people knowing this word's
    > meaning.

    Well, that's what links are for, and they work much more reliably than
    the title attribute. You can combine the two if you like:

    "octet: a string of eight bits, an eight-bit byte. - -">octet</a>s.</p>

    assuming you have somewhere on the page the attribute id="octet" on an
    element that contains a more detailed explanation.

    If you use the title attribute only, the question arises how the user can
    know that some "tooltip" is available. (When you use links, the default
    rendering of links suggests that additional information is available.)
    It just occurred to me that you could try to inform about this using

    by moving the cursor over a word.">

    since the user would normally see that tooltip when not on an inner
    element with a title attribute. Then again, this would sound odd on a
    browser that supports the title attribute but not the same way as common
    browsers.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, May 30, 2004
  4. Manfred Preussig

    rf Guest

    "Manfred Preussig" <> wrote in message
    > hello,
    > I want to use this small windows appearing if mouse is on the keyword
    > and automatically disappearing if mouse is moved of or after a short
    > time delay. I want to give some additional help on keywords I use at my
    > hp to explain them to people don't know what this keyword means without
    > (or only with low) annoying to people knowing this word's meaning.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me something about?

    Hmmm.

    title="explanation" ?
    rf, May 30, 2004
  5. Manfred Preussig

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Re: The little help windows apearing on some HTML pages if mouseis on

    Entity brucie spoke thus:

    >> I want to give some additional help on keywords I use at my
    >> hp to explain them to people don't know what this keyword means without
    >> (or only with low) annoying to people knowing this word's meaning.

    > whats wrong with footnotes at the bottom of the page? much better than
    > the title attribute or any other kind of popup thingy.

    Personally, I find the "title" attribute irritating unless used
    appropriately. Be conservative with it.

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Spectrumology.com
    Spectrumology is the science of chaos.
    Gnarlodious, May 30, 2004
  6. Manfred Preussig

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:BCDF47F5.4A6CB%>
    Gnarlodious <> said:

    >> whats wrong with footnotes at the bottom of the page? much better than
    >> the title attribute or any other kind of popup thingy.

    > Personally, I find the "title" attribute irritating unless used
    > appropriately. Be conservative with it.

    assuming people even notice the title attrib is being used in the first
    place.

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, May 30, 2004