The little help windows apearing on some HTML pages if mouse is on

Manfred Preussig

hello,
I want to use this small windows appearing if mouse is on the keyword
and automatically disappearing if mouse is moved of or after a short
time delay. I want to give some additional help on keywords I use at my
hp to explain them to people don't know what this keyword means without
(or only with low) annoying to people knowing this word's meaning.

Can anyone tell me something about?

Thanks

Manfred

brucie

in post: <
Manfred Preussig said:
hello,
g'day

I want to use this small windows appearing if mouse is on the keyword

how about the title attribute?
and automatically disappearing if mouse is moved of or after a short
time delay.

it depends on the browser but its better if the cute little popup
doesn't disappear until the mouse is moved, something IE doesn't do and
moz only does on the first or second monitor.
I want to give some additional help on keywords I use at my
hp to explain them to people don't know what this keyword means without
(or only with low) annoying to people knowing this word's meaning.

whats wrong with footnotes at the bottom of the page? much better than
the title attribute or any other kind of popup thingy.

Jukka K. Korpela

Manfred Preussig said:
I want to use this small windows appearing if mouse is on the keyword
and automatically disappearing if mouse is moved of or after a short
time delay.

Sounds like you want to use the title="..." attribute. You can use it on
almost any element, such as an <em> element, but mostly you would use the
although <abbr> and <acronym> elements are often recommended for
abbreviations and acronyms, they should be used with great caution if at
all. (See http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/abbr.html )
I want to give some additional help on keywords I use at
my hp to explain them to people don't know what this keyword means
without (or only with low) annoying to people knowing this word's
meaning.

Well, that's what links are for, and they work much more reliably than
the title attribute. You can combine the two if you like:

"octet: a string of eight bits, an eight-bit byte. - -">octet</a>s.</p>

assuming you have somewhere on the page the attribute id="octet" on an
element that contains a more detailed explanation.

If you use the title attribute only, the question arises how the user can
know that some "tooltip" is available. (When you use links, the default
rendering of links suggests that additional information is available.)
It just occurred to me that you could try to inform about this using

by moving the cursor over a word.">

since the user would normally see that tooltip when not on an inner
element with a title attribute. Then again, this would sound odd on a
browser that supports the title attribute but not the same way as common
browsers.

rf

Manfred Preussig said:
hello,
I want to use this small windows appearing if mouse is on the keyword
and automatically disappearing if mouse is moved of or after a short
time delay. I want to give some additional help on keywords I use at my
hp to explain them to people don't know what this keyword means without
(or only with low) annoying to people knowing this word's meaning.

Can anyone tell me something about?

Hmmm.

title="explanation" ?

Gnarlodious

Entity brucie spoke thus:
whats wrong with footnotes at the bottom of the page? much better than
the title attribute or any other kind of popup thingy.
Personally, I find the "title" attribute irritating unless used
appropriately. Be conservative with it.

-- Gnarlie
http://www.Spectrumology.com
Spectrumology is the science of chaos.

brucie

in post: <
Personally, I find the "title" attribute irritating unless used
appropriately. Be conservative with it.

assuming people even notice the title attrib is being used in the first
place.