The Luigi Memorial Thread

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias said:
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 05:09:35 GMT Jonathan N. Little scribed:
Yup, the ol' HD went, and maybe (an)other thing(s) as well. I'll know more
when I get into fixin' it (which will be when I procure another HD.)

Lose the controller or did you just muck up the MBR or OS portion, i.e.,
can you access at least parts when slaved to get your data off of it.

If it is the controller. I have done this trick that sometimes works
(but only once). Put HD in a ziplock bag with some of those "do not eat"
silica bags. Remove as much air as possible. Pit in the freezer. Chill
thoroughly. Take out and add as slave to a good drive on a system, then
start transferring as fast as you can before the drive warms up. I read
it somewhere and have tries it a couple of times with success. But when
I did it, we had nothing to lose! ;-)

Ed Mullen

Sally said:
You left out the seagulls. I think in honour of his home page, you should
also endeavour to make this thread incredibly long and possibly <g> boring.
Perhaps also it could be translated into many languages. But first of all,
of course, we really need to establish, on Luigi's behalf, whether dorayme is
a girl or a boy, and whether he/she has ever been to Italy - or even Sweden.

Terrestrial gender does not apply to Martian entities.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Neredbojias

Lose the controller or did you just muck up the MBR or OS portion,
i.e., can you access at least parts when slaved to get your data off
of it.

I probably could have retrieved the data but when I tried the ol' "HP
Recovery" shtick, that really did it. Most of this data was old and, shall
we say, over-familiar, so I thought I'd give it a shot despite my serious
and, as it turned out, justified misgivings. However, life goes on and man
does not live by megabytes alone.
If it is the controller. I have done this trick that sometimes works
(but only once). Put HD in a ziplock bag with some of those "do not
eat" silica bags. Remove as much air as possible. Pit in the freezer.
Chill thoroughly. Take out and add as slave to a good drive on a
system, then start transferring as fast as you can before the drive
warms up. I read it somewhere and have tries it a couple of times with
success. But when I did it, we had nothing to lose! ;-)

I dunno. I tried that with my wife one time and she still didn't warm
up...