The Matching Pennies Prize (a Java programming prize)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tim Tyler, Feb 12, 2011.

  1. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    The Matching Pennies Prize is a prize for automating machine forecasting.

    The prize is currently based around languages that target the JVM -
    though support for other languages is planned.

    The http://matchingpennies.com/ web site will regularly hold
    tournaments based on the matching pennies game, and the winners will be
    awarded prizes.

    The matching pennies game represents an abstract model of serial
    forecasting in a simple environment partly consisting of agents with
    conflicting goals.

    Agents succeed by modeling the other agents and predicting their
    actions.

    The basic idea is to arrange things so that successful agents will
    necessarily have to have solved the problem of building a powerful,
    general-purpose stream compressor. This will then enable them to
    implement Occam's razor, develop plausible models of the workings of
    other nearby agents - and then to make successful predictions of their
    actions.

    I've created other material which explains the significance of
    automating predictions and forecasting in more detail. Here, I will
    just note that an automatic forecasting component is a key ingredient
    in many machine intelligence systems.

    If you put a forecasting component together with a tree-pruning
    algorithm and an evaluation function, then the result is a complete
    machine intelligence.

    The basic idea of the prize is to allow those who are interested in
    funding machine intelligence to contribute to the efforts of those who
    are interested in building it.

    There's an introductory video here: http://vspy.org/?v=DLaECbQujec

    For more comprehensive details about The Matching Pennies Prize,
    the prize fund, the award schedule, or details about how to compete
    or donate please visit:

    --> http://matchingpennies.com/ <--

    Enjoy,
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Feb 12, 2011

  2. On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:02:07 +0000, Tim Tyler wrote:

    > The basic idea is to arrange things so that successful agents will
    > necessarily have to have solved the problem of building a powerful,
    > general-purpose stream compressor. This will then enable them to
    > implement Occam's razor, develop plausible models of the workings of
    > other nearby agents - and then to make successful predictions of their
    > actions.

    You're talking about implementing about 85% of a general purpose AI here.
    I hope you realize that. :)

    ClassCastException, Feb 14, 2011

  3. Tim Tyler

    Thermos Guest

    On 14/02/2011 6:16 AM, ClassCastException wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:02:07 +0000, Tim Tyler wrote:
    >> The basic idea is to arrange things so that successful agents will
    >> necessarily have to have solved the problem of building a powerful,
    >> general-purpose stream compressor. This will then enable them to
    >> implement Occam's razor, develop plausible models of the workings of
    >> other nearby agents - and then to make successful predictions of their
    >> actions.

    > You're talking about implementing about 85% of a general purpose AI here.
    > I hope you realize that. :)

    Maybe Tim's trying to build Skynet.

    Thermos, Feb 14, 2011
  4. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    On 14/02/2011 11:16, ClassCastException wrote:
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:02:07 +0000, Tim Tyler wrote:

    >> The basic idea is to arrange things so that successful agents will
    >> necessarily have to have solved the problem of building a powerful,
    >> general-purpose stream compressor. This will then enable them to
    >> implement Occam's razor, develop plausible models of the workings of
    >> other nearby agents - and then to make successful predictions of their
    >> actions.

    > You're talking about implementing about 85% of a general purpose AI here.
    > I hope you realize that. :)

    Right - but you *don't* have to do that to win the prize!

    You just have to compress and model your environment better than
    the other players are able to manage...
    --

    Tim Tyler, Feb 14, 2011