    - Guest

    The Myth of American Generosity

    By Mike Whitney

    Al-Jazeerah, January 9, 2005

    “They’ve seen our resolve in dealing with terrorism. They also need to
    see our compassion. It’s the goodness of America that leads to its
    greatness.” Senator Sam Brownback (R- Kansas)

    Have you ever seen anyone “flip-flop” more on an issue than George Bush
    on Tsunami relief?

    First he pledged $15 million. (Until UN humanitarian aid chief, Jan
    England referred to the gift as “stingy”) Then it was bumped up to $35
    million. (which lasted two days) Now, it’s been inflated to a whopping
    $350 million.

    What gives?

    There’s nothing humanitarian about humanitarian aid. The money that’s
    been pouring in from private citizens around the world was given from
    the kindness of their hearts. That’s not what’s happening with our
    friends at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. The ever-changing amount of relief
    reflects a political agenda that’s aimed at greater economic involvement
    in the stricken region. Calculated generosity is not generosity at all,
    but self interest.

    Now that they’ve seen the extent of the tsunami’s damage, the Bush clan
    is swarming to the scene like pit bulls to a pork-chop. The colossal
    devastation has created the right environment for projecting America’s
    state-sponsored industries (Halliburton, Bechtel, Flour etc) into the
    area for what will undoubtedly be a massive reconstruction project.
    Just think, this time we didn’t even have to flatten vast swaths of the
    countryside like we did with “Shock-and-Awe” in Baghdad. Mother Nature
    has conveniently taken care of all of that for us; free of charge. All
    Bush needs to do is whip-up the standard public relations campaign, and
    “conference-call” his buddies at Halliburton to roll up their sleeves
    for their next big job.

    The Bidding War

    The amount of relief being promised by the various donor-countries has
    escalated into a bidding war. Each nation is stumbling over the other to
    get a shoe in the door for future projects. So far, Australia has taken
    the lead, promising $810 million to the effort. No one remembers
    Australia being so magnanimous during similar crises, (like the
    Ethiopian famine or the Iran earthquake in Bam) which makes an ulterior
    motive even more likely. This brings us to the central point about
    humanitarian aid; it’s really just a shell game that’s used to conceal
    geopolitical and economic aims. Australia is certainly not the
    exception. Its lavish gift is just a way of jostling
    with the competition to endear itself to the victim nations.
    Did you know that humanitarian aid is normally proffered with strict
    requirements? For example, oftentimes a donor country will insist that
    up to 90% of the aid-package be provided by corporations from their own
    country.
    This means that the generosity of taxpayers is no more than a subsidy
    for big business.

    Maybe, this is no big deal. After all, in an imperfect world, even
    charity comes with strings attached. The larger problem is the fact that
    countries make these promises of aid with no intention of meeting their
    obligations. Consider the enormous devastation at Bam, Iran last year
    when 26,000 civilians were killed an earthquake. Donor nations promised
    over $1 billion in relief following the disaster, and yet, officials say
    that less than $18 million has been received. That’s less than 2%!!!
    “The record is even worse in the case of Hurricane Mitch, which swept
    through Honduras and Nicaragua in 1998, killing more than 9,000 people
    and making 3 million homeless. Governments promised to send more than
    $3.5 billion, while the World Bank, IMF and EU pledged $5.2 billion. In
    the end, less than a third of the money was raised.” (UK Guardian)

    The Bush administration has been particularly “stingy” in honoring its
    promises. The $15 billion pledged to AIDS assistance two years ago has
    translated into millions not billions, and most of that has been
    directed towards “abstinence-only” programs. Reconstruction money for
    Afghanistan and Iraq has been equally paltry. Afghanistan has received
    only a pittance of what was supposed to be a modern-day “Marshall Plan”.
    To date, there are no major reconstruction projects even underway in
    Afghanistan; a dismal reflection of the administration’s misleading
    foreign policy. (As John Pilger notes in a recent article, “Just 3% of
    all international aid spent in Afghanistan has been spent for
    reconstruction”)

    Iraq is no different. Less than 2% of the $18 billion allocated by
    Congress has been devoted to reconstruction programs. Is there any
    wonder why the lights only go on for 4 hours a day in Baghdad?
    This also explains why the incredulous Kofi Annan warned two days ago
    that much of the $3 billion of aid probably won’t materialize.
    “If we go by past history, yes, I do have concern ... we've got over
    $2-billion but it is quite likely that at the end of the day we will not
    receive all of it,” Annan said.

    Fellow UN staffer Rudolf Muller added, "A lot of the money will be
    swallowed up by the military or will have been diverted from existing
    loans." In other words, the pledges of support will “vaporize” in a
    bureaucratic, paper-shuffle. That’s why the Secretary-General is asking
    for $60 million for immediate relief to provide food, water, sanitation
    and medicine to the (potentially) 500,000 refugees of the tsunami.
    Annan’s sobering words were unwelcome at the White House where Bush’s
    “Friend of Humanity” campaign is in full swing. The administration’s
    public relations wizards have taken on the disaster with unusual zeal.
    They’ve dispatched a phalanx of dignitaries to demonstrate the core
    principle of American munificence; giving with one hand while stealing
    with the other.
    Wasn’t it odd to see Clinton’s florid face exhumed from obscurity and
    slapped up on the front page; ready to join the ranks of Bush loyalists?
    Apparently, the goal of proving America’s bigheartedness is not limited
    by party affiliation. It’s truly a bipartisan charade.

    Did we mention that not one measly bottle of water has been sent to
    Falluja, where 70% of the city lies in ruins after a two month
    Dresden-type beating that “systematically” destroyed all the major
    infrastructure including water purification facilities, sewage treatment
    and the electrical grid? Falluja is now “The City of Dogs”, where
    scavenging canines feed on the dead bodies left in the streets during
    the American siege. Are the people of Indonesia and Sri Lanka more
    deserving than the 250, 000 Iraqis refugees who now live in tent cities
    because the US demanded retribution for the deaths of 4 corporate
    mercenaries? Or is the Bush-tsunami in Falluja just another
    manifestation of Divine intervention?

    Bush’s largesse is bestowed with Machiavellian ruthlessness. Falluja
    gets the iron-fist while the candies and sweetmeats are hand-delivered
    to Thailand. It’s all part of the political reckoning that employs
    philanthropy with the same deadly intent as precision weaponry.

    The Flag-wrapped Media

    The media has played a vital role in perpetuating the myth of American
    generosity. Their task is to create an acceptable narrative for American
    benevolence and then to reiterate THE VERY SAME MESSAGE FROM EVERY
    SOAPBOX IN THE NATION. This is the real meaning of propaganda, which
    comes from the root; “to propagate”. (It does not simply mean
    misinformation, but implies the intentional repetition of the same lie
    over and over again.) This can only be accomplished if every newspaper
    and TV station covers the same story the very same way. (a near
    impossibility in a free country, one would think)
    In a mind-boggling display of unity, over 200 stories appeared in US
    newspapers announcing the “CHANGE IN AMERICA’S IMAGE”. (1-5-05) (Kremlin
    ideologues must be looking on with admiration at the astonishing
    uniformity of the “free market” propaganda system. Quite clearly, it has
    no rival.) Similarly, every paper in the country has produced the
    requisite full-page pictures of smiling, white Americans distributing
    CARE packages to the mud-splattered, dark-skinned natives.

    TV, of course, produced the same dismal results providing a week long
    celebration of American goodwill.

    Who says this ain’t a great country?

    Interestingly, the media gambit to “boost America’s image”, dwarfed the
    coverage of Alberto Gonzales, the administration’s foremost apologist of
    torture. Gonzales who created the legal rationale for abusing prisoners
    in “cruel and inhuman” ways, is being elevated to the “highest
    law-enforcement officer in the country”, Attorney General. How’s that
    for irony? Think a few wary Muslims might be watching the Senate
    hearings rather than the American “charm offensive” being waged in the
    Southeast Asia?

    Even with the massive media blitz, it’s all uphill for the Peerless
    Leader and his corporate cadres. You can fool some of the people some of
    the time, but as the numbers indicate, America’s popularity is headed
    for the bottom of the tank. “In Indonesia, whose Muslim population is
    overwhelmingly moderate, polls taken after the U.S. invasion of Iraq
    showed plummeting support for the United States. America's "favorable"
    rating fell from 61 percent to 15 percent from summer 2002 to summer
    2003, according to the Pew Research Center.” (Ass. Press) It’ll take
    more than a few smiley photo-ops and chocolate bars to turn those
    numbers around.

    The administration is using the cover of humanitarian aid to insert
    itself into the economic future of the region. Whatever aid it provides
    will mean bigger profits for American corporations and greater
    involvement for the US Military. Secretary Rumsfeld has already used the
    tragedy to sidestep the congressional ban on aid to the Indonesian
    military; a clear attempt to shore up a brutish regime that provides
    access to Indonesia’s vast resources. Even greater support is bound to
    follow the current disaster.

    A “debt-relief” proposal recommended by the IMF will undoubtedly bring
    about the same economic conditions that have crippled third world
    nations across the globe. On the surface the offer looks like a gift,
    but in reality it requires strict compliance with the rigorous
    guidelines of economic restructuring. (In other words, privatizing all
    publicly owned assets, reducing subsidies to public education, removing
    protective tariffs, eliminating public health-care, banning unions, and
    permitting damaging flows of capital to move in and out of its markets
    without regulation.).
    The acceptance of this economic regime effectively hands over national
    sovereignty to a cartel of international bankers and financiers. It’s
    designed to ensure that real democracy cannot flourish.

    These are the real implications of American generosity. The $350 million
    may be dressed up to look like bounteousness, but it’s just another bone
    tossed to Bush’s friends in big business. A year from now, the “tired
    and huddled masses” battered by the tsunami will still be living in
    refugee camps, drinking brackish water and huddling in lean-tos. The
    money will have changed nothing, except to pave the way for a greater
    American presence in the region.

    -, Jan 9, 2005

  2. -

    Toby Inkster Guest

    - wrote:

    > First he pledged $15 million. (Until UN humanitarian aid chief, Jan
    > England referred to the gift as “stingyâ€) Then it was bumped up to $35
    > million. (which lasted two days) Now, it’s been inflated to a whopping
    > $350 million.

    I don't call that "whopping". Australia, a country with roughly 5% of
    America's GDP has pledged more than twice as much. Now *that's* "whopping".

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 9, 2005

  3. -

    Neal Guest

    OT Re: The Myth of American Generosity

    Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    > - wrote:
    >
    >> First he pledged $15 million. (Until UN humanitarian aid chief, Jan
    >> England referred to the gift as “stingyâ€) Then it was bumped up to
    >> $35
    >> million. (which lasted two days) Now, it’s been inflated to a
    >> whopping
    >> $350 million.

    > I don't call that "whopping". Australia, a country with roughly 5% of
    > America's GDP has pledged more than twice as much. Now *that's*
    > "whopping".

    In this context "whopping" is ironic, as is typical in US use of the
    word. (Oh, look, the boss gave me a whopping $50 bonus!)

    Like a lie is a "whopper" if it is huge and likely flawed due to its
    size.

    Neal, Jan 9, 2005
  4. -

    Karl Core Guest

    Re: OT Re: The Myth of American Generosity

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > Toby Inkster <> wrote:
    >
    >> - wrote:
    >>
    >>> First he pledged $15 million. (Until UN humanitarian aid chief, Jan
    >>> England referred to the gift as "stingy") Then it was bumped up to $35
    >>> million. (which lasted two days) Now, it's been inflated to a whopping
    >>> $350 million.

    >> I don't call that "whopping". Australia, a country with roughly 5% of
    >> America's GDP has pledged more than twice as much. Now *that's*
    >> "whopping".

    > In this context "whopping" is ironic, as is typical in US use of the word.
    > (Oh, look, the boss gave me a whopping $50 bonus!)
    >
    > Like a lie is a "whopper" if it is huge and likely flawed due to its size.

    Sorry that people don't think $350 million is enough.
    We're such heels. We only spend $6.9 Billion a year in foreign aid to other
    countries - we spend more every year than anyone else in the world on
    foreign aid.
    We'll have the largest amount of money in private donations, too. But yet,
    America sucks, right?

    This USA bashing is getting old. Especially on this topic, because I doubt
    any of you have donated any of your personal money to help these people.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":

    Karl Core, Jan 9, 2005
  5. -

    Duende Guest

    Re: OT Re: The Myth of American Generosity

    While sitting in a puddle Karl Core scribbled in the mud:

    > This USA bashing is getting old. Especially on this topic, because I doubt
    > any of you have donated any of your personal money to help these people.

    Proof that we aren't so bad.

    MSF estimates that we have received sufficient funds for our currently
    foreseen emergency response in South Asia.

    Note that this is their USA site.
    http://www.doctorswithoutborders-usa.org/donate/

    --
    D?
    http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR

    Duende, Jan 9, 2005
  6. Re: OT Re: The Myth of American Generosity

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:51:02 -0500, Karl Core <> wrote:

    > "Neal" <> wrote in message
    >> Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    >>> I don't call that "whopping". Australia, a country with roughly 5% of
    >>> America's GDP has pledged more than twice as much. Now *that's*
    >>> "whopping".

    >> In this context "whopping" is ironic, as is typical in US use of the word.
    >> (Oh, look, the boss gave me a whopping $50 bonus!)
    >>
    >> Like a lie is a "whopper" if it is huge and likely flawed due to its size.
    >>

    > Sorry that people don't think $350 million is enough.
    > We're such heels. We only spend $6.9 Billion a year in foreign aid to other
    > countries - we spend more every year than anyone else in the world on
    > foreign aid.
    > We'll have the largest amount of money in private donations, too. But yet,
    > America sucks, right?
    >
    > This USA bashing is getting old. Especially on this topic, because I doubt
    > any of you have donated any of your personal money to help these people.

    Yes, I donated. I donated 250 euro (my entire 'end of the year something' that
    my empoyer hands out every year in december), so, be careful with what you say
    on people in here not helping out.
    In the Netherlands 16 milion people came up with over 112 milion euro of private
    money, coming out of people personal pockets. Per capita the US isn't matching
    that, are they?

    Barbara de Zoete, Jan 9, 2005
  7. -

    BruceB Guest

    "-" <> wrote in message
    > The Myth of American Generosity
    >
    > By Mike Whitney
    >
    > Al-Jazeerah, January 9, 2005

    Gee, why am I not surprised at the dateline, when I read this bullshit
    content. Most of the world is being pretty generous. We Americans as
    well. I personally don't know one person who hasn't donated at least a
    little. What should be alarming us is the relatively small amounts pledged
    by many rich Arab nations.. I see people bitching about the U.S. pledge as
    a percent of the money spent on the war in x hours or x minutes.. How
    about a comparison with x minutes or x hours of oil revenue??

    And, good for the Aussies.. They are, however, in the neighborhood, and
    may be feeling more closeness to this terrible situation. Good for anyone
    who donates anything. Let's stop comparing the size of pledges... Also,
    the pledges don't really mean shit until they are fulfilled. Watch the news
    and see which groups and which countries have boots on the ground in south
    Asia RIGHT NOW. My guess is that this horrible disaster will cost the U.S.
    many times more than the amount pledged. Maybe in six months someone
    should make a little spread sheet to compare pledges with actual money
    spent..

    So knock it off with this Al-Jazeerah bullshit..

    BruceB, Jan 9, 2005
  8. -

    "Barbara de Zoete" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 13:51:02 -0500, Karl Core <>
    > wrote:

    >> Sorry that people don't think $350 million is enough.
    >> We're such heels. We only spend $6.9 Billion a year in foreign aid to
    >> other
    >> countries - we spend more every year than anyone else in the world on
    >> foreign aid.
    >> We'll have the largest amount of money in private donations, too. But
    >> yet,
    >> America sucks, right?
    >>
    >> This USA bashing is getting old. Especially on this topic, because I
    >> doubt
    >> any of you have donated any of your personal money to help these people.
    >>

    > Yes, I donated. I donated 250 euro (my entire 'end of the year something'
    > that my empoyer hands out every year in december), so, be careful with
    > what you say on people in here not helping out.

    Match this stingy American's donation.
    I'll be donating close to $2k USD.

    > In the Netherlands 16 milion people came up with over 112 milion euro of
    > private money, coming out of people personal pockets. Per capita the US
    > isn't matching that, are they?

    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050105/ap_on_re_us/tsunami_americans_respond

    Again, the USA donates $6.9 Billion a year in aid worldwide. Stop the whole
    "USA is stingy" bullshit.

    Karl Core, Jan 9, 2005
  9. -

    Henry Guest

    BruceB wrote:
    > "-" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The Myth of American Generosity
    >>
    >>By Mike Whitney
    >>
    >>Al-Jazeerah, January 9, 2005

    > Gee, why am I not surprised at the dateline, when I read this bullshit
    > content. Most of the world is being pretty generous. We Americans as
    > well. I personally don't know one person who hasn't donated at least a
    > little. What should be alarming us is the relatively small amounts pledged
    > by many rich Arab nations.. I see people bitching about the U.S. pledge as
    > a percent of the money spent on the war in x hours or x minutes.. How
    > about a comparison with x minutes or x hours of oil revenue??
    >
    > And, good for the Aussies.. They are, however, in the neighborhood, and
    > may be feeling more closeness to this terrible situation. Good for anyone
    > who donates anything. Let's stop comparing the size of pledges... Also,
    > the pledges don't really mean shit until they are fulfilled. Watch the news
    > and see which groups and which countries have boots on the ground in south
    > Asia RIGHT NOW. My guess is that this horrible disaster will cost the U.S.
    > many times more than the amount pledged. Maybe in six months someone
    > should make a little spread sheet to compare pledges with actual money
    > spent..
    >
    > So knock it off with this Al-Jazeerah bullshit..

    Al-Jazeerah has more credibility that ALWAYS lying US government.

    They are lying before election, during and after, They are lying when
    they lips are moving. Second election in the row is a fraud.

    Karl Core wrote

    > Again, the USA donates $6.9 Billion a year in aid worldwide. Stop the whole
    > "USA is stingy" bullshit.

    Yeah... to Israel goes $6.8!

    Bwahahahahahaha...

    You have forgotten 180 billions to Iraq to 'liberate' these poor people
    from their oil.

    EVERYTHING from USA is a lie!

    Credibility equal zero!

    Can you cite one truth from USA media, except date and price?

    (Still doubt if true!)

    ;)

    Henry, Jan 10, 2005
  10. Re: OT Re: The Myth of American Generosity

    On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 18:47:36 -0500, Karl Core wrote:

    > Match this stingy American's donation.
    > I'll be donating close to $2k USD.

    I love the way everything on Usenet turns into a pissing contest.

    Brendan Taylor, Jan 10, 2005
  11. -

    Duende Guest

    Re: OT Re: The Myth of American Generosity

    While sitting in a puddle Karl Core scribbled in the mud:

    >> Yes, I donated. I donated 250 euro (my entire 'end of the year something'
    >> that my empoyer hands out every year in december), so, be careful with
    >> what you say on people in here not helping out.

    > Match this stingy American's donation.
    > I'll be donating close to $2k USD.

    Maxed out my Discover card but than at my age there is no point in keeping it
    for when I get old.

    Duende, Jan 10, 2005
  12. Re: OT Re: The Myth of American Generosity

    Brendan Taylor wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 18:47:36 -0500, Karl Core wrote:
    > > Match this stingy American's donation.
    > > I'll be donating close to $2k USD.

    > I love the way everything on Usenet turns into a pissing contest.

    I love the fact that no one HAD to give anything, but people are
    giving. And I am pretty sure the people that need this stuff are not
    bitching about anyone being stingy.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 10, 2005
  13. Travis Newbury, Jan 10, 2005
  14. Re: OT Re: The Myth of American Generosity

    "Brendan Taylor" <> schreef in bericht
    > On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 18:47:36 -0500, Karl Core wrote:
    >
    > > Match this stingy American's donation.
    > > I'll be donating close to $2k USD.

    > I love the way everything on Usenet turns into a pissing contest.

    Contest?
    My mum is better then your mum ;)

    Regards,
    Samuël van Laere (I didn't contribute to Asia, does this make me a bad
    human?)

    Samuël van Laere, Jan 10, 2005
  15. -

    Henry Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    >>The Myth of American Generosity

    > There is so much more to America, than what most people care to admit.
    > But we are the biggest target out there right now, so it is easy to
    > bash.

    > -=tn=-

    Does any one stealing your oil? Murdering your people?
    Using depleted uranium to pollute for millions of years your environment?

    Did anyone ever bombed any of USA cities lie they did butchery in Dresden?

    Did anyone made Hiroshima?

    Did anyone kill ever 100,000,000 citizens as they have butchered native
    Indians and still keeping them in in reservates?

    Did anyone sell in slavery millions of Americans?

    Was ever USA invaded?

    Are you aware that USA has invaded in 20 century more than 100 countries?

    Easy target? Your bet. Who is worse in the whole world?

    Greatest technologies to kill and pseudo democracy.

    All USA has to offer is corruption, deception, mass murder, drugs,
    mad propaganda and... fucken Windoze.

    You are still wondering?

    There is always and end to every imperium.

    Time of the end of USA is coming fast.

    USA and Israel are most hated countries in the whole world.

    Henry, Jan 10, 2005
  16. Henry wrote:
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    > >>The Myth of American Generosity

    > > There is so much more to America, than what most people care to

    admit.
    > > But we are the biggest target out there right now, so it is easy to
    > > bash.
    > > http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143732,00.html

    > Does any one stealing your oil....

    <snip>

    Man, you have some major country envy issues your dealing with don't
    you.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 10, 2005
  17. -

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Henry scribbled in the mud:

    > All USA has to offer is corruption, deception, mass murder, drugs,
    > mad propaganda and... fucken Windoze.

    Don't forget Wallmart and McDonalds

    Duende, Jan 10, 2005
  18. Duende wrote:
    > While sitting in a puddle Henry scribbled in the mud:
    > > All USA has to offer is corruption, deception, mass murder, drugs,
    > > mad propaganda and... fucken Windoze.

    > Don't forget Wallmart and McDonalds

    Oh yea baby.... Keep supporting our evil with your purchases...
    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 10, 2005
  19. -

    Henry Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Henry wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > Man, you have some major country envy issues your dealing with don't
    > you.

    Yeah... especially I'm so envious that you have so clever and wise,
    democratically elected 'presi-dent'.

    :-O

    Henry, Jan 10, 2005
  20. Henry wrote:
    > > Man, you have some major country envy issues your dealing with

    don't
    > > you.

    > Yeah... especially I'm so envious that you have so clever and wise,
    > democratically elected 'presi-dent'.

    There you go, admitting you have a problem is the first step to
    recovery.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, Jan 11, 2005