The name 'UserName' does not exist in the current context"?

Guest

Hi, I am getting a strange error. Last night when I left work this was
working perfectly. This morning when I try to run this code in VS2005, it
comes up with an error saying "The name 'UserName' does not exist in the
current context". I don't know what to do about it. The field is there. It
worked yesterday. Any ideas?

HTML CODE:
<%@ Master Language="C#" EnableTheming="false"
AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="mp_Main.master.cs" Inherits="mp_Main" %>

<head runat="server">
<title>My Page</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="CSS/g-styles.css" />
</head>
<form id="frmMain" runat="server">
<asp:SiteMapDataSource ID="dsMySiteMap" runat="server"
ShowStartingNode="False" SiteMapProvider="MainMapProvider" />
<asp:TextBox ID="UserName" runat="server"
CssClass="f-field"></asp:TextBox>
etc...

CODE BEHIND:
protected void btnLogin_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
string sError = "";

if (UserName.Text == "")
{
sError = "True";
}
etc...

Thanks,
Michael

Mark Fitzpatrick

There are a couple issues that could be happening. It could be that the
build of the page/site has failed without you knowing it so therefore when
it's executing the code the object isn't getting connected properly because
it doesn't know about it really (since the build process failed). Give a
quick rebuild and see if any errors pop up

Another thing could be the designer.cs file didn't update with the
information on the protected members (in the web application project).

See if it's able to work with this.UserName. Perhaps it's getting it
confused with a username property that could be available in one of the
namespaces (this one's a shot in the dark though).

Guest

Mark,
thank you for the reply. First I cannot build the project without hitting
the error. The only way I have been able to build it is to comment out my
code. If I run the application in debug mode, and then when I get the error
just say to run the last good build I just say yes, it runs fine and also
hits all my new code as well as runs fine through the code that is suppose to
be giving the error. hmmm
Secondly, I tried what you said about the "this.UserName" but it did not
make any difference.

Any other thoughts?
Michael.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Something else to try, open the master page, then switch back to design view
from html view. VS.Net has the nasty habbit of not noticing controls until
the page has been put into design view. Sometimes just toggling between the
views adds the appropriate reference and it will then work.

--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick