The nerve of some idiots!

CBFalconer

The following was found on guru.com (a job flogging system). The
nerve of some spammers! The last sentence is especially obnoxious.

Follow-ups set to c.l.p.
Profile ID: 757548 matches...
Title: Need OSX Based Harvester / Spider
Project ID: 276485

Category: Programming / Software / Database Development
We're in need of a harvester that can extract valid email addresses
from specific websites.

Some harvest programs are apparently available online, but none
that we've found are compatible with OSX and even the PC based
programs look sketchy at best.

Please get in touch if you're able to develop this software on a
timely basis. If the software can also function as a bulk emailer,
that conceals our ISP, that would be ideal. However, a simple to
use, effective harvester is our first and foremost need.

Please be professional and honest in your abilities when responding.

-- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
-- Thomas Matthews

ynotssor

In
CBFalconer said:
The following was found on guru.com (a job flogging system). The
nerve of some spammers!

And you repost it here in its entirety ... brilliant.

ynotssor

In
Dan Henry said:
Its entirety was necessary for context. Well, maybe he could have
trimmed the IDs for you.

Spam is spam ... "context" has nothing to do with it. Reposting it to
several newsgroups is also spam.

Malcolm McLean

ynotssor said:
In

And you repost it here in its entirety ... brilliant.
I could do with a few bob.
How much for a grep and a bit of AI to detect obvious spamtraps?

Keith Thompson

CBFalconer said:
The following was found on guru.com (a job flogging system). The
nerve of some spammers! The last sentence is especially obnoxious.

Follow-ups set to c.l.p.

Posting just to comp.lang.c, since that's where I read it.

Chuck, you've posted followups to spams several times recently. In
this case, you've copied a spam to newsgroups to which it wasn't even
posted in the first place.

Ignore it, or report it to the spammer's ISP. Don't post followups,
and *please* don't propagate it any further.

s. keeling

ynotssor said:
In

Spam is spam ... "context" has nothing to do with it. Reposting it to
several newsgroups is also spam.

Well, you did too, with no followup. I guess you're a spammer too.

Peter B. P.

ynotssor said:
In

Spam is spam ... "context" has nothing to do with it. Reposting it to
several newsgroups is also spam.

Nope. Spam is technically UCE; which requires three criteria to be true:

1) Unsolicited
2) Commercial
3) Mass mail

I doubt CB himself is making any $$$ from posting it here. Feel free to
prove me wrong, though.

CBFalconer

ynotssor said:
Spam is spam ... "context" has nothing to do with it. Reposting it to
several newsgroups is also spam.

Then why did you over-ride the follow-up set in my original? Note
that there was no means of contacting the originator without going
through gufu.com.

Keith Thompson

Nope. Spam is technically UCE; which requires three criteria to be true:

1) Unsolicited
2) Commercial
3) Mass mail

I doubt CB himself is making any $$$ from posting it here. Feel free to
prove me wrong, though.

No, spam needn't be commercial. The MI5 spammer didn't appear to be
doing it for the money.

Re-posting something to just a few newsgroups isn't spam (see
"Breidbart Index"), just inappropriate.

Followups redirected.

Rick Pikul

Nope. Spam is technically UCE; which requires three criteria to be true:

1) Unsolicited
2) Commercial

NB: Many people use Bulk, making spam UBE.
3) Mass mail

That's email spam you're thinking of. Here in usenet spam is nothing
more and nothing less than the same thing many times.

You measure 'spaminess' by calculating a metric known as the BI, which is
based on the square root of the number of groups each copy of a post goes
to.

ammonton

In comp.arch.embedded Malcolm McLean said:
I could do with a few bob.
How much for a grep and a bit of AI to detect obvious spamtraps?

Ah, but it's for the Mac so it must do all that and be shiny too.

-a

Randy Howard

Ah, but it's for the Mac so it must do all that and be shiny too.

Shiny isn't an important property on the mac. The simple fact of it
being stable and bereft of blue screens is sufficient.

Malcolm McLean

Keith Thompson said:
Posting just to comp.lang.c, since that's where I read it.

Chuck, you've posted followups to spams several times recently. In
this case, you've copied a spam to newsgroups to which it wasn't even
posted in the first place.

Ignore it, or report it to the spammer's ISP. Don't post followups,
and *please* don't propagate it any further.
A job offer on a labour exchange BB is not spam.
The poster does not say why he wants to harvest email addresses from
webpages, but it is hard to believe that it is not for the purpose of
sending spam. However a solicitation of spamming technology isn't itself
spam.

Bob Martin

in 721520 20070226 200305 "Malcolm McLean said:
A job offer on a labour exchange BB is not spam.
The poster does not say why he wants to harvest email addresses from
webpages, but it is hard to believe that it is not for the purpose of
sending spam. However a solicitation of spamming technology isn't itself
spam.

Mr Falconer seems overly-concerned with what others say and do.

Nell636132