the next step for a learner?

gerrymcc

I have a dial-up isp, at www.indigo.ie. They give free web space as
part of my account, but it is unreliable - I haven't been able to
upload files for a few weeks now. My amateur site is
http://indigo.ie/~gerrymcc. I've a good idea of HTML and CSS now,
Java to about certification level, some SQL and a little php. I want
to get a better idea of php now, as that seems to be the next step
towards building an ecommerce site, or would I be better off learning
more Java? Indigo doesn't appear to support php, or anything else
relevant, as far as I can see. Could anybody recommend a free webhost
that would enable me to start experimenting with php and MySql, or
whatever technology I should be learning next?

Thanks for any advice,
Gerard

Woolly Mittens

relevant, as far as I can see. Could anybody recommend a free webhost

Free webhosts will give you what you pay for... absolutely nothing. Consider
paying just a little bit of money to a small web hoster like www.vevida.nl
(ASP) or www.mediadesign.nl (PHP), you will be paying for reliability.
whatever technology I should be learning next?

If you are serious about building websites, build one for yourself, on your
own domain.
A free hoster will kill your site with banners and popups, this is not the
environment to practice yourself in.

Daan

I have a dial-up isp, at www.indigo.ie. They give free web space as
part of my account, but it is unreliable - I haven't been able to
upload files for a few weeks now. My amateur site is
http://indigo.ie/~gerrymcc. I've a good idea of HTML and CSS now,
Java to about certification level, some SQL and a little php. I want
to get a better idea of php now, as that seems to be the next step
towards building an ecommerce site, or would I be better off learning
more Java? Indigo doesn't appear to support php, or anything else
relevant, as far as I can see. Could anybody recommend a free webhost
that would enable me to start experimenting with php and MySql, or
whatever technology I should be learning next?

If you want to experiment and learn, you'd be best of running your own
webserver. Since you have a dial-up account, running your own webserver
means you don't have to upload your files anywhere so you don't have to
be connected to the internet to test your work.

Search google for tutorials on how to set up your own webserver (apache
with php and mysql is a good choice), or just follow the installation
instructions from www.apache.org, www.php.net and www.mysql.com.

Lois

:
: Free webhosts will give you what you pay for... absolutely nothing.
Consider
: paying just a little bit of money to a small web hoster like www.vevida.nl
: (ASP) or www.mediadesign.nl (PHP), you will be paying for reliability.

I agree. To add another good and inexpensive web host to the list, see
www.aussiehosts.com. The plans start at $32.50 US per year and include PHP
support, 5 mySQL databases, and excellent tech support. You'll be able to
learn a lot more when the features you're looking for are available in your
own web space.

Lois

brucie

in post:
<
Validity is not the biggest problem, the site uses frames, tables for
layout, deprecated presentational html etc.

i didn't actually look at the site (cant access it). its just a given
when someone claims they know html they really don't.

Woolly Mittens

brucie said:
i didn't actually look at the site (cant access it). its just a given
when someone claims they know html they really don't.

You might mean well, but your posts radiate arrogance.