    Thanks for any advice,
    Gerard
    , Jan 18, 2004

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:0zCOb.5916$...
    > relevant, as far as I can see. Could anybody recommend a free webhost

    Free webhosts will give you what you pay for... absolutely nothing. Consider
    paying just a little bit of money to a small web hoster like www.vevida.nl
    (ASP) or www.mediadesign.nl (PHP), you will be paying for reliability.

    > whatever technology I should be learning next?

    If you are serious about building websites, build one for yourself, on your
    own domain.
    A free hoster will kill your site with banners and popups, this is not the
    environment to practice yourself in.
    Woolly Mittens, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Daan Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a dial-up isp, at www.indigo.ie. They give free web space as
    > part of my account, but it is unreliable - I haven't been able to
    > upload files for a few weeks now. My amateur site is
    > http://indigo.ie/~gerrymcc. I've a good idea of HTML and CSS now,
    > Java to about certification level, some SQL and a little php. I want
    > to get a better idea of php now, as that seems to be the next step
    > towards building an ecommerce site, or would I be better off learning
    > more Java? Indigo doesn't appear to support php, or anything else
    > relevant, as far as I can see. Could anybody recommend a free webhost
    > that would enable me to start experimenting with php and MySql, or
    > whatever technology I should be learning next?

    If you want to experiment and learn, you'd be best of running your own
    webserver. Since you have a dial-up account, running your own webserver
    means you don't have to upload your files anywhere so you don't have to
    be connected to the internet to test your work.

    Search google for tutorials on how to set up your own webserver (apache
    with php and mysql is a good choice), or just follow the installation
    instructions from www.apache.org, www.php.net and www.mysql.com.

    --
    Daan Stolp
    Daan, Jan 18, 2004
  4. brucie Guest

    brucie, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Richard Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > in post: <news:0zCOb.5916$>
    > said:

    >> http://indigo.ie/~gerrymcc. I've a good idea of HTML

    > no you haven't
    > http://validator.w3.org/

    > --
    > brucie - i usenet nude

    You naughty stud you.

    A though just occurred to me with his domain name.
    How about having www.microsoft.ie ?????

    Welll whaddaya know? It actually exists and redirects you to microsoft.com
    but puts you on their ireland homepage.
    Richard, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Lois Guest

    "Woolly Mittens" wrote:
    : Free webhosts will give you what you pay for... absolutely nothing.
    Consider
    : paying just a little bit of money to a small web hoster like www.vevida.nl
    : (ASP) or www.mediadesign.nl (PHP), you will be paying for reliability.

    I agree. To add another good and inexpensive web host to the list, see
    www.aussiehosts.com. The plans start at $32.50 US per year and include PHP
    support, 5 mySQL databases, and excellent tech support. You'll be able to
    learn a lot more when the features you're looking for are available in your
    own web space.

    Lois
    Lois, Jan 18, 2004
  7. Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Jan 19, 2004
  8. brucie Guest

    in post:
    Spartanicus <> said:

    >>> http://indigo.ie/~gerrymcc. I've a good idea of HTML

    >>no you haven't http://validator.w3.org/

    > Validity is not the biggest problem, the site uses frames, tables for
    > layout, deprecated presentational html etc.

    i didn't actually look at the site (cant access it). its just a given
    when someone claims they know html they really don't.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 19, 2004
  9. "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > i didn't actually look at the site (cant access it). its just a given
    > when someone claims they know html they really don't.

    You might mean well, but your posts radiate arrogance.
    Woolly Mittens, Jan 19, 2004
  10. brucie Guest

    in post: <news:400b9949$0$30958$>
    "Woolly Mittens" <> said:

    > You might mean well, but your posts radiate arrogance.

    damn, i was trying for contempt.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude
    brucie, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle brucie scribbled in the mud:

    > in post: <news:400b9949$0$30958$>
    > "Woolly Mittens" <> said:
    >
    >> You might mean well, but your posts radiate arrogance.

    > damn, i was trying for contempt.

    Try harder next time.

    --
    Duende