"The page cannot be displayed" after process for an hour

Guest

Hi. I am facing some problem in Asp.net. I am developing a payroll
application currently. This is a web-based application. User need to click on
"Process" button in order to process the payroll every time. Now the problem
is, if the processing time is less than 3600 seconds, everything will work
fine. but when the processing time is more than 3600 seconds. A page cannot
be displayed message will be shown on the browser.

Any one know why?

Juan T. Llibre

Please, in any future question, include the version of the
..NET Framework, and the Operating System you're using.

Assuming you are using ASP.NET 1.1...

Check the following settings in web.config :
( If they don't exist in web.config, check to see if they were changed in machine.config )

If you see lower values in machine.config, change the values in the web.config file.

<httpRuntime executionTimeout="3600" /> ( You may need a higher value, in seconds )
( Caution: setting this value too high may lead to performance problems... )

If you're using forms authentication, check :
<forms name=".ASPXAUTH" loginUrl="login.aspx" protection="All" timeout="30" path="/" requireSSL="false" slidingExpiration="true">
*That* timeout is expressed in minutes. It may have been set to "60" ( 3600 seconds )

Also, check your sqlConnectionString timeout :

<sessionState mode="InProc" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" stateNetworkTimeout="10"
sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;Integrated Security=SSPI" cookieless="false" timeout="20" />

It may be set to 60 *minutes*. You may need to set *that* timeout to a hiugher value.

Also, check to see if the processModel timeout has been changed from "infinite" to a finite setting:

<processModel enable="true" timeout="Infinite" ( there's many settings n that section. I only showed the "enable" and "timeout" ones.

Make any required changes, and let us know how you do.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========

Guest

Hi. Juan. Thanks for your help. I am using Framework 1.1 and windows XP pro
as my development platform.
Besides, this application can cater for multiple database. In current
production environment. it is connecting to mySql and MSSql Server depends on
client needs and their budget. Now the problem occur for mySql database which
located at a Linux server. I try to simulte the the problem in windows
environment and same problem occur.

Actually I did try some of your suggestion before i post the question.
For <httpRuntime> executionTimeout attribute. I even try to set the value
to 10000.
<processModel> timeout attribute i did check before it is infinite.
<sessionState> timeout attribute by default is 20. and i have no problem if
the the processing time is more than 20 minutes. So, it should'nt be a
problem.

The only thing i didn't check before i post the question is forms
authentication. The <forms> does not have any default time out value. I will
try to increase time out value but currently the latest source is in the
company and now is weekend. will get back to you if possible.

Again, many thanks to all your efforts. hava a nice day;)

Guest

Hi. Mattia. can you elaborate your asynchronous approach.

Thanks for your help.

Mattia Saccotelli" <"m.saccotelli [AT] g said:
Wouldn't be better to adopt an asynchronous approach?

Siang said:
Hi. I am facing some problem in Asp.net. I am developing a payroll
application currently. This is a web-based application. User need to click on
"Process" button in order to process the payroll every time. Now the problem
is, if the processing time is less than 3600 seconds, everything will work
fine. but when the processing time is more than 3600 seconds. A page cannot
be displayed message will be shown on the browser.

Any one know why?

Joined
Dec 22, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I Have Experienced The Same Problem And Link Shows Solution

support.microsoft.com/kb/181050

this link solve my problem (Internet explorer give web page can not be displayed message after 1 hour...)