The process cannot access the file "" because it is being used by another process.

RSH

Hi,

I have an ASP .Net web page that creates a temp directory on the server then
it is using the File.Copy command to move a file to a temp download
directory, Then I am doing a response.Redirect to that URL.

The problem is that whenever I run the page the script fails on the
File.Copy() command everytime with an error of:

The process cannot access the file
"c:\inetpub\wwwroot\TestPages\Downloads\12431234051920061359\585F56645D4740714337170A043006180038060C017E081A10.doc"
because it is being used by another process.

This shouldn't be a permissions issue because I have full control to
everyone just for testing purposes.

Here is the code snippet:

strTempdirectory = strFileSystemPath & CompanyID & dDateStamp

strFile1 = strFileSystemPath & strFileName

strFile2 = strTempdirectory & "\" & strFileName

If Not Directory.Exists(strTempdirectory) Then

Directory.CreateDirectory(strTempdirectory)

End If

If File.Exists(strFile2) Then

File.Delete(strFile2)

End If

Fails here: ---> File.Copy(strFile1, strFile2, False)

strRedirectPath = strHttpPath & CompanyID & dDateStamp & "/" & strFileName

Response.Redirect(strRedirectPath)

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Ron

RSH

One recent development...

If I step through the code it works fine...and then each subsequent page
hit works for that file, but if i don't step through the code on a file it
gives me the error.

Thanks,
Ron

RSH

Im actually not using the filestream. I am just creating the file with:
File.Create(strFileSystemDirectory & strFilename)

Im starting to think it might be a permissions issue...either that or .Net
is not releasing the file.

Arsalan Ahmad

Please could you tell me how do you resolve this problem..i m getting same
access problem in writing to a file.

RSH

Sure.

Apparently simply calling the File.Create leaves the file in a zombie state.
What you need to do is create and access the file through the declaration of
a StreamWriter object:

Dim sw As StreamWriter = New StreamWriter(strFileSystemDirectory &
strEncodedFileName)

' Add some text to the file.

sw.Write("This is the ")

sw.WriteLine("header for the file.")

' Arbitrary objects can also be written to the file.

sw.Write("The date is: ")

sw.WriteLine(DateTime.Now)

sw.Close()

sw = Nothing

This creates a simple file and writes a few lines of text to it then
disposes the object properly which in turn unlocks the file.

It works great now.

Ron