    proj1.csproj was created by older version of VS.NET? So the projects are not
    forward and backward compatibles?

    Please advise. Thanks!!
    Matt, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Matt

    Karl Guest

    I believe that's the warning you get when opening a project from VS.Net 2002
    in VS.Net 2003. I've always said yes and never had a problem. I've never
    tried to opena VS.Net 2003 project in 2002, so if that's something you need
    to do, you should create a copy first and try it out.

    Karl

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > When I tried to open an existing proj1.csproj in VS.NET 2003. It pops up a
    > dialog saying
    >
    > "The project 'proj1.csproj' must be converted to the current project

    format.

    Karl, Aug 15, 2004

  3. On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:40:27 -0400, Karl <none> wrote:

    > I believe that's the warning you get when opening a project from VS.Net
    > 2002
    > in VS.Net 2003. I've always said yes and never had a problem. I've
    > never
    > tried to opena VS.Net 2003 project in 2002, so if that's something you
    > need
    > to do, you should create a copy first and try it out.
    >
    > Karl
    >
    > "Matt" <> wrote in message
    >> When I tried to open an existing proj1.csproj in VS.NET 2003. It pops
    >> up a
    >> dialog saying
    >>
    >> "The project 'proj1.csproj' must be converted to the current project

    > format.
    >> After it has been converted, you will not be able to edit this project
    >> in
    >> previous versions of Visual Studio. Convert and open this project?"
    >>
    >> I am not sure what VS.NET version to create proj1.csproj. Is it because
    >> proj1.csproj was created by older version of VS.NET? So the projects are

    > not
    >> forward and backward compatibles?
    >>
    >> Please advise. Thanks!!

    Yes, the project file formats changed in 1.1/VS 2003, which is the reason
    for the message. The project was pry developed in 1.0/VS 2002. This is
    usually not a problem, but if you open and compile the code in 1.1, I also
    suggest full re-testing of the application as there were some subtle
    changes introduced in 1.1, which depending on your app, may impact you.
    Otherwise most of the time they convert to 1.1 without modification.

    FYI, in case you ever need to convert project files, see the Switch Tools
    section here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/07/MustHaveTools/default.aspx

    --
    Craig Deelsnyder