The Python interactive interpreter has no command history

ThomasC

Hello,

How to configure Python2.5's interactive interpreter to get command
history ?

I always got ^[[A and ^[[B .

Thank you !!

Thomas#

Eduardo \EdCrypt\ O. Padoan

Hello,
How to configure Python2.5's interactive interpreter to get command
history ?

I always got ^[[A and ^[[B .

Are you using Ubuntu? The last comes with 2.4.x and 2.5. This only
occurs on 2.5. This happens when you compile Python with libreadline
installed, AFAIK.
FIll a bug in the Ubuntu launchpad. You can install libreadline (and
build-essential), download the 2.5 source and compile yourself.

Alan Franzoni

Il Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:14:00 -0200, Eduardo "EdCrypt" O. Padoan ha scritto:
Are you using Ubuntu? The last comes with 2.4.x and 2.5. This only
occurs on 2.5. This happens when you compile Python with libreadline
installed, AFAIK.

I'm on Edgy and command history works well both with 2.4 and 2.5 with my
config. If it's really an Edgy glitch, it must be configuration-related!

--
Alan Franzoni <[email protected]>
-

Paul Boddie

Il Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:14:00 -0200, Eduardo "EdCrypt" O. Padoan ha scritto:

I'm on Edgy and command history works well both with 2.4 and 2.5 with my
config. If it's really an Edgy glitch, it must be configuration-related!

I guess it depends on how one is building the software. According to
the package information [1] libreadline5 is stated as a dependency, so
if one uses the Debian tools to make a package from the sources (plus
the diffs), one should get complaints about missing dependencies
rather than inadvertently getting an installable version of Python
with broken command history support.

Paul

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/edgy/python/python2.5