    Cheers,
    -T (editor-in-chief)

    , Nov 2, 2006

    I think I saw one of the articles twice. It is good to see a python
    journal again, even better with free content. It would be good to see
    more 'populist' content, even transcripts of python 411 maybe. I would
    also like to note if they could be organised as hpp (or whatever
    extension the help files are) maybe spe or boa-constructor could make
    it easy for users to add it to there help systems. I thought I saw an
    internet publisher somewhere that could get you the isbn (if that is
    the right number) so that content could also get distributed as hard
    copy.

    https://sourceforge.net/projects/dex-tracker

    wrote:
    > To whom it may concern,
    >
    > I have been involved in putting together a new Python journal, called
    > (oh so originally) The Python Journal. This isn't related to a previous
    > project also called The Python Journal although we have the approval of
    > the group that put it together in using their name.
    >
    > http://pyjournal.cgpublisher.com is the journal URL, and it has a
    > number
    > of news feeds -- blog entries, new products (i.e. articles and volumes)
    > and product reviews (not used currently).
    >
    > We'd love it if you could have a look at our first issue, and let us
    > know what you think!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > -T (editor-in-chief)

    , Nov 2, 2006

  3. Ant Guest

    wrote:
    > We'd love it if you could have a look at our first issue, and let us
    > know what you think!

    On the layout of the site:

    1) I have to hit two separate Download buttons to get the PDF, and then
    the PDF must be viewed in an external reader rather than the browser
    plugin.
    2) It appears that there are 3 publications to read, where in fact the
    third (The Python Journal itself) is an amalgam of the previous two
    documents. There should be some indication of this in the abstract
    (e.g. either a note in the Journal abstract that it consists of the
    previous articles, or a note in the article abstracts that it is a
    chapter in the journal)
    3) I have to scan past two PDF pages to get to any actual content in
    the PDF's.
    4) It would be nice to have an HTML view of these PDFs to save the
    irritation of waiting for the document to download and the PDF Reader
    from starting up.

    I realise that many of these issues could be limitations of the
    cgpublisher website, but those are my gripes with the site in any case.

    On the content of the first article:

    1) There's a typo (well, indentation error) in the very first example
    (Text 2).
    2) The title of the first article seems to promise more than it
    delivers. There are stacks of Python idioms, and this is merely one of
    them. If this is the first of many 'Idiom ' articles, it would be
    better to have a subtitle as to the nature of this specific idiom,
    something like "Access control in Python" or similar, with a mention of
    the actual name-mangling that goes on on 'private' attributes.

    HTH.

    Is the intention that this will be a free or non-free (or somewhere in
    between) journal BTW?

    Ant, Nov 2, 2006
  4. Fuzzyman Guest

    Ant wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > We'd love it if you could have a look at our first issue, and let us
    > > know what you think!

    > On the layout of the site:

    [snip..]
    > 4) It would be nice to have an HTML view of these PDFs to save the
    > irritation of waiting for the document to download and the PDF Reader
    > from starting up.
    >
    > I realise that many of these issues could be limitations of the
    > cgpublisher website, but those are my gripes with the site in any case.

    +1 for HTML content if this is intended to be a free journal.

    Fuzzyman
    http://www.voidspace.org.uk

    Fuzzyman, Nov 2, 2006

    Thanks all for your comments. A number of people have mentioned the
    click-difficulty of getting to the journal. I'll work with the
    publisher to make that happen, otherwise I may be able to manually edit
    the front page to include a link to the latest version.

    It's great to have people visiting already. I'll respond to the other
    specific comments shortly, but just thought I'd say, "we're
    listening!".

    The python error is due to my inability to typeset python well within
    OpenOffice. I used "enscript" and some helper tools to create the
    graphics, but have since discovered that a cut-and-paste from Eclipse
    does a *much* better job. Expect better code snippets from the next
    edition.

    Cheers,
    -T (editor-in-chief)

    , Nov 3, 2006