    In XSD, how can I specify the content of an element refers to the
    content of another element in an xml file?

    Thanks a lot!

    mavis, Jun 1, 2006

  2. mavis wrote:
    > In XSD, how can I specify the content of an element refers to the
    > content of another element in an xml file?

    Make the value a keyref or idref to that other element? Or make the
    value an XPath which can be used to find that element?

    Joe Kesselman, Jun 1, 2006

  3. mavis

    mavis Guest

    Thanks a lot ,

    Could you instruct how to refer to another element if it is not key or
    unique by using xpath?

    mavis, Jun 1, 2006
  4. mavis wrote:
    > Could you instruct how to refer to another element if it is not key or
    > unique by using xpath?

    An XPath is a description of how to find information within a document
    -- a simple query operation, if you want to look at it that way.

    It's up to the environment to say which document; there's no reason your
    system can't use an XPath within a doc to refer to another part of that
    doc. XSLT stylesheets sometimes do exactly this, examining themselves to
    (for example) do a table lookup. In XSLT, any XPath starting with a call
    to the no-arguments version of the document() function is a request to
    search the stylesheet document.

    Of course, actually following the XPath to the node it refers to will
    require running an XPath interpreter, giving it the approrpiate context
    information. The TrAX APIs are one semi-standardized way of doing that
    in Java; DOM Level 3 also introduces its own XPath API.

    Joe Kesselman, Jun 1, 2006
  5. mavis

    mavis Guest

    Thanks. I mean how can we deifne this in the schema file? For example,
    in the XSD file, set the default value of an element to be the content
    from another element??

    Thanks!

    mavis, Jun 1, 2006
  6. mavis wrote:
    > Thanks. I mean how can we deifne this in the schema file? For example,
    > in the XSD file, set the default value of an element to be the content
    > from another element??

    No can do. This is something the application needs to deal with, not the
    schema. Schemas are best thought of as constraining and typechecking
    documents; copying a value from one place to another is outside their scope.

    Joe Kesselman, Jun 1, 2006