The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

cider123

This is just information to maybe help others with the problem I ran
across the other day.

I had a Remote Object working just fine on a 2003 Server. I wanted to
try it on another 2003 Server, so we had to install IIS 6 and then
installed the .NET Framework 2.0 afterwards.

When I copied the same files over and attempted to try it, I ended up
with the error message:

The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

I was puzzled for 2 days, and it was driving me nuts. It worked on 1
box, but not the other.

I eventually stumbled across the "IIS Manager" under Administrative
Tools. I expanded the "Web Services Extensions" folder and noticed the
"ASP.NET v2.0.50727" was in a "Prohibited" state. After I switched it
to "Allow" then the Remote Objects worked.

I'm not sure why that was in a "Prohibited" state by default, as it was
in an "Allow" by default on our other 2003 Server. It might have had
something to do with the order in which each component (IIS /
Framework) was installed--not sure.

I pull a lot of useful information off these Newsgroups, hope this
helps someone else.