The "replaceAll" method of the String Class can't work, if a "?" character is in the value of an att

Ed

And this response certainly isn't rude, is it? Man, I can hear all the
<plonk>s without even having my computer turned on. Talk about burning
bridges...

Nope, I am just dealing with an idiot!

zzantozz

Ed Idiot, did you read this? Fucking moron!

:)

I know, its not right to feed the trolls, but it IS a lot of fun
sometimes.

It's always amazing to follow a troll.

Is this guy giving himself 5-star ratings on google groups? A lot of
his posts seem to have them.

Ed

It's always amazing to follow a troll.

Is this guy giving himself 5-star ratings on google groups? A lot of
his posts seem to have them.

Are you surprised that I get 5-star ratings? Many people are not
idiots, like you, stupid!

Lew

It's always amazing to follow a troll.

Is this guy giving himself 5-star ratings on google groups? A lot of
his posts seem to have them.

It still amazes me how anyone buys into the GG star-rating system, given its
manifest, obvious and freely-discussed shortcomings.

Andrew Thompson

Lew wrote:
It still amazes me how anyone buys into the GG star-rating system, given its
manifest, obvious and freely-discussed shortcomings.

It surprises you that there is 'one born every minute'?
That would be ..a nice mental place to be. ;)

Lew

Andrew said:
Lew wrote:

It surprises you that there is 'one born every minute'?
That would be ..a nice mental place to be. ;)

It's a special world here, to be sure.

Amazement and surprise are not the same thing. I didn't say that it surprised me.

I've been seeing flowers and airplanes my entire life, but both continue to
amaze me.

--
Lew

If God had meant Man to fly, He'd have given us the imagination to invent
airplanes.
- me

Ed

It still amazes me how anyone buys into the GG star-rating system, given its
manifest, obvious and freely-discussed shortcomings.

Yes, I do! The fact that I got the 5-start ratings on my postings
explaining how you was rude to me, makes me to kind of trust the
google ratings!

Joshua Cranmer

Ed said:
Yes, I do! The fact that I got the 5-start ratings on my postings
explaining how you was rude to me, makes me to kind of trust the
google ratings!

(To readers of m.e.l.e: this is a perfect example of how NOT to write
English.)

(P.S. I know I shouldn't do this, but it is just too fun to pass up ;-))

Several comments to explain about why this is not proper grammar:

In English, the word `was' indicates the past participle of `to be' in
the third person singular form /only/. The relevant past participle
(here, we need to be in second person, which corresponds as well to all
plural forms) that you are looking for is `were'.

The construction `to make one' is not followed by the word `to'; what
you need to do is drop that word from the following infinitive.

There is no word called `google' (there is a `googol', as in 10^100). If
you are referring to the company with that name, then your
capitalization should reflect that, as a proper noun [*]: `Google'.

Semantically, that classifies all of your sins; however, your choice of
words is not the most appealing in the world.

`To get' is very slangy, and, seeing as Usenet expects a certain level,
of professionalism, the better verb is `to receive'.

I know of no rating that uses `starts'; are you looking for `star'?

`5' should not be written as a digit (as well as other numbers less than
ten), it is better to use `five' in this case.

On forums, the term `posting' should be eschewed in favor of the word
`post' (shorter noun, and I dislike gerunds as well).

Finally, usage of exclamation points is highly disregarded in Usenet
posts, as it places others' impressions of you as roughly equivalent to
a loud-mouthed twelve-year old kid. Your continual usage of vulgar
language and poor grasps on the basic points of politeness also add to
the impression of a brat.

[*] Well, in recent times, companies have fallen in love with the
non-traditional forms of capitalization, preferring such proper nouns as
`iPod'. The best rule of thumb to follow is to use the official
capitalization rules of the company owning the trademark.

Joshua Cranmer

It's always amazing to follow a troll.

Is this guy giving himself 5-star ratings on google groups? A lot of
his posts seem to have them.

I have done my best to rectify this situation. I am currently bored and
as such had nothing to do but go through this thread, fixing aberrations
in the rating of various posts. It appears that I am not the only one
who has done this....

Andrew Thompson

(in sig.)
If God had meant Man to fly, He'd have given us the imagination to invent
airplanes.
- me

I like that quote. :)

( But no, I am not about to give it a
'5 star' rating - just the review, above. ;)

Andrew T.

Lew

Andrew said:
I like that quote. :)

( But no, I am not about to give it a
'5 star' rating - just the review, above. ;)

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words for my humble slogan.

I came up with it many years ago.

Other people have made similar remarks, e.g., Clark Jones in November, 2005,
On the religious aspect, my comment is: "If God had meant man to fly, He'd have given him
a brain so that he could figure out how."

Don Herbison-Evans, October, 2004,
... the aphorism that if God had meant man to fly,
He would have given us the brains to devise machines in which to do it.

Great minds think alike.

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
Thank you. I appreciate your kind words for my humble slogan.

I came up with it many years ago.

Other people have made similar remarks, e.g., Clark Jones in November,
2005,

Don Herbison-Evans, October, 2004,

Great minds think alike.

If God had meant us to have original thoughts, he wouldn't have made so many
of us.

Andreas Leitgeb

Joshua Cranmer said:
In English, the word `was' indicates the past participle of `to be' in
the third person singular form /only/.

Damn, I really *was* sure, that this word has more uses than just
for 3rd person...

I think there is some "usenet law", that claims that everyone
correcting another poster's grammer is bound to make some
grammar-related error in his posting, as well.

Aren't I right?

Gordon Beaton

In English, the word `was' indicates the past participle of `to be'
in the third person singular form /only/. The relevant past
participle (here, we need to be in second person, which corresponds
as well to all plural forms) that you are looking for is `were'.

You are confusing simple past tense and past participle. The
participle is used as an adjective or with have/had/will to form the
perfect tenses. E.g. "I did X" and "X is done".

The participle of "to be" is "been", the past tense is "was".

/gordon

Nigel Wade

Mike said:
If God had meant us to have original thoughts, he wouldn't have made so many
of us.

Surely all He did was design the original class, sub-class that, and create one
instance of each. They were responsible for all the other instances.

Andrew Thompson

Mike Schilling

Nigel Wade said:
Surely all He did was design the original class, sub-class that, and
create one
instance of each. They were responsible for all the other instances.

But he designed the constructors in such a way as to ensure they'd be called
early and often.

Andrew Thompson

Andreas said:
Damn, I really *was* sure, that this word has more uses than just
for 3rd person...

I think there is some "usenet law", that claims that everyone
correcting another poster's grammer is bound to make some
grammar-related error in his posting, as well.

Aren't I right?

<wads>
Pouvons-nous tout le début parlant en français
(comme mal traduit par Google) ? Je suis positif
qu'apaisera les corrections mineures incessantes
à n'importe qui après, présent, ou futur participe.
</wads>

<originally>
Can we all start speaking in French (as badly
translated by Google)? I am positive that will
quell the incessant minor corrections to
anyone's past, present, or future participle.
</originally>

Oh, ..and 'WADS' is an abbreviation I coined on
the spot - 'with all due sarcasm'. If you have a
problem with it - bite me.