The Request Failed with HTTP Status 401: Access Denied

James

I have a webservice that returns a simple string. The security for this is
set to windows authentication in IIS (XP Professional) and anonymous access
is .

When I access the webservice from IE there is no problem. But when I try
access it from my windows application I get the above error.

When I look at the IIS log it show the same user name for both requests. IE
request has the status 200 and the Windows app has the status 401.

After seeing another related post, I added the pre-authenticate and now I
get: 405: Method not allowed.

What could be the problem?

Thanks,
James

James

I have resolved the issue. I don't know if this is permanent.

The solution:

1. Set the authentication to anonymous access.
2. Right click on the web reference server name and update the reference.
Now the errors are gone.
3. Set the authentication back to Windows.
4. Now Windows authentication works.

Thanks,
James