"The resource cannot be found" error accessing a .aspx file

Steve M

I am having a really strange problem. I have a site setup in a virtual
directory that fails with the error below. It works on other web servers
that are network load balanced with this server. I can go right to the
default.aspx right in the ISS Manager and right-click browse and the error
still comes up. I re-copied the folder over from a working server and
checked IIS and NTFS permissions and it all matches. I recreated the
virtual directory as well. I can pull up a .htm file from the virtual
directory and I can pull up other .aspx files from other sites on the
server. But no aspx file work at all in this virtual directory. I
re-installed ASP.NET on the server as well. I looked in the event log and
logfiles and found nothing.

Any ideas?

Server Error in '/app' Application.
----

The resource cannot be found.
dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is
temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that
it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /app/Default.aspx

Steve M

I figured it out.

Under the root path in IIS configuration, under "Home Directory"
under the field "local path". "c:\inetpub\mywebsite\" is not the same
as "c:\inetpub\mywebsite" apparently now. My site came back alive as
soon as I removed the trailing backslash so that the path now says
"c:\inetpub\mywebsite".

Who would know?

Mac

I figured it out.

Under the root path in IIS configuration, under "Home Directory"
under the field "local path". "c:\inetpub\mywebsite\" is not the same
as "c:\inetpub\mywebsite" apparently now. My site came back alive as
soon as I removed the trailing backslash so that the path now says
"c:\inetpub\mywebsite".

Who would know?

Did you by any means install the latest security patches from
Microsoft like the Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework,
Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903)? After I installed this (and
other patches) and rebooted the server, all sites worked except the
one utilizing .Net. Luckily I discovered this post and it solved my
problem too. Works like a charm again.

Grtz,

Mac

ZLA

Joined
Jul 18, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
More than a year later, this post has saved my mind. I've been using both 1.1 and 2.0 succesfully and recently had to reinstall VS 2005, which then applied some service packs. Afterwards, 2.0 worked fine but 1.1 failed.

I reinstalled VS 2005 which didn't fix anything nor did reinstall of VS 2003. So I removed both VS and both .NET and started from scratch. VS 2003 and 1.1 worked until I loaded the SP and security patch. This post got me the rest of the way.