The Revenge of the Geeks

joel garry

Oracle has getting a lot of attacks.

    "A close look at how Oracle installs deceptive software with Java
updates"

http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at-how-oracle-installs-deceptive-so...

I can fathom how a software like Java could end up in the hands of a
company like Oracle...

-Ramon

I like the oxymoron "sane Windows user."

The authors doth protest too much, methinks. They have their own
agenda of selling their own snake oil.

We know how Oracle wound up with java. Sun fucked up, Larry swooped
in and got loads of intellectual property and engineering expertise
for pennies on the dollar. It's the American way!

jg

Lew

cipher said:
Java is dying on the home desktop. Maybe other places as well...

Evidence?

In order for something to be dying, it had to have been alive first, and
then declined.

Evidence for "home desktop" and "other places" is necessary for your
statement to be anything other than blatant trolling.

Arne Vajhøj

Evidence?

In order for something to be dying, it had to have been alive first, and
then declined.

Evidence for "home desktop" and "other places" is necessary for your
statement to be anything other than blatant trolling.

I suspect that he read in one of the advocacy groups om the dist list.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Java is dying on the home desktop. Maybe other places as well...

Depend on your definition of dying.

According to statowl those with Java installed has dropped from
81% to 66%.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

You meen this only hits Windows, as on Linux OpenJDK is installed usuall
way ? ;)

Obviously Oracle's business practice only applies to
their Java implementations.

They could put it in Oracle Java for Linux if they wanted to
(I don't know if they actually have so).

But IBM Java for Linux, OpenJDK for Linux, GCJ etc. are
not under Oracles control (they do have some heavy influence
on OpenJDK, but ...).

Arne

BGB

Evidence?

In order for something to be dying, it had to have been alive first, and
then declined.

Evidence for "home desktop" and "other places" is necessary for your
statement to be anything other than blatant trolling.

well, there is Minecraft and OpenOffice, which use Java and run on
desktops...

though hardly a big player, it is not entirely uncommon to run into
software which depends on it.

now, as for the Java installer: I have seen worse...

at least it gives the option to opt out, as opposed to a few installers
I ran into which just install a mountain of adware without giving any
option to opt out.

Arne Vajhøj

Kevin McMurtrie

Ramon F Herrera said:
Oracle has getting a lot of attacks.

"A close look at how Oracle installs deceptive software with Java
updates"

http://www.zdnet.com/a-close-look-at-how-oracle-installs-deceptive-software-wi
th-java-updates-7000010038/?s_cid=e539

I can fathom how a software like Java could end up in the hands of a
company like Oracle...

-Ramon

Thankfully, I don't run Windows anywhere so I don't get this. I'm
surprised they don't bundle an AltaVista toolbar and a GIF clipart
library from back in the days when desktop shovelware was common.

Yes, it is a shame that Oracle runs Java but Sun wasn't so great at it
either. Both pushed for high cost, high complexity "enterprise edition"
libraries that come and go like fashion but dragged their feet on
streamlining the language itself.

BGB

Thankfully, I don't run Windows anywhere so I don't get this. I'm
surprised they don't bundle an AltaVista toolbar and a GIF clipart
library from back in the days when desktop shovelware was common.

Yes, it is a shame that Oracle runs Java but Sun wasn't so great at it
either. Both pushed for high cost, high complexity "enterprise edition"
libraries that come and go like fashion but dragged their feet on
streamlining the language itself.

much agreed...

the lack of "streamlining" of the core language is admittedly one of my
bigger complaints about Java at present.

this is along with what few new features are added to the core language
(and to the JVM) are IMO far too often via ugly hacks.

Arved Sandstrom

much agreed...

the lack of "streamlining" of the core language is admittedly one of my
bigger complaints about Java at present.

this is along with what few new features are added to the core language
(and to the JVM) are IMO far too often via ugly hacks.

I'm not too worried about Java the language being close to stagnant, so
long as library development is up to par. Because if the solution I've
selected includes the JVM, then often Scala or Clojure are better
choices for high-productivity coding. Myself I don't care if Java the
language ever gets updated again - it's not important. The innovation
shifted away from Java the language years ago; there are better JVM
options now.

So I would disagree with both you and Kevin that "streamlining" the core
language is all that important. You can't do enough of it to core Java
to make it worthwhile, without major changes. So why bother now? What's
important actually *are* those "high cost, high complexity EE
libraries", plus the later SE/EE-agnostic libraries like concurrency.

90% of developer productivity is achieved by adept and informed use of
what other people have written: libraries.

AHS

BGB

I'm not too worried about Java the language being close to stagnant, so
long as library development is up to par. Because if the solution I've
selected includes the JVM, then often Scala or Clojure are better
choices for high-productivity coding. Myself I don't care if Java the
language ever gets updated again - it's not important. The innovation
shifted away from Java the language years ago; there are better JVM
options now.

So I would disagree with both you and Kevin that "streamlining" the core
language is all that important. You can't do enough of it to core Java
to make it worthwhile, without major changes. So why bother now? What's
important actually *are* those "high cost, high complexity EE
libraries", plus the later SE/EE-agnostic libraries like concurrency.

yes, but the lack of polish for the core language doesn't really make
using Java a particularly attractive option when contrasted against,
say, C++ or C#.

like, it is the great battle of "all options being equal, what language
will I use to write this?...".

granted, yes, typically a person will work on a pre-existing project,
and typically use whatever language(s) the project is already written in.

90% of developer productivity is achieved by adept and informed use of
what other people have written: libraries.

potentially, but if a person can choose freely, all the major language
options have libraries. not necessarily all the same libraries, but
libraries none-the-less...

I guess it is more of an issue what sorts of libraries one has the most
use for, and IME, most of the libraries I am interested in seem to exist
mostly in C and C++ land.

sometimes C# is useful for quick-and-dirty GUI apps, and Paint.NET
plugins, but otherwise it is a hard sell using a language which
basically leaves one's apps tied to Windows (and on Mono, C++/CLI
doesn't work, largely killing off most of what reason I might have for
using it for much beyond quick-and-dirty GUI apps...).

most of what I end up writing in C and C++ tends to be mostly algorithm
heavy and math-heavy code, typically making lots of use of vector math
and similar (where one can have both a nice vector interface, and
optimize them via SSE intrinsics, ...). (like, where one spends a lot of
time optimizing things in the quest for higher frame-rates...).

granted, the big drawbacks in C and C++ land are the long compile times
and lack of native dynamic-code-loading or eval, which is kind of why
scripting languages are popular (and I have my own scripting language
here, and recently went and wrote a new JIT for it as well, ...).

or such...

Arne Vajhøj

Yes, it is a shame that Oracle runs Java but Sun wasn't so great at it
either. Both pushed for high cost, high complexity "enterprise edition"
libraries that come and go like fashion but dragged their feet on
streamlining the language itself.

But those libraries often make a real big difference
on the effort to write applications while language changes
often has very little impact even though they make look cute.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

I'm not too worried about Java the language being close to stagnant, so
long as library development is up to par. Because if the solution I've
selected includes the JVM, then often Scala or Clojure are better
choices for high-productivity coding. Myself I don't care if Java the
language ever gets updated again - it's not important. The innovation
shifted away from Java the language years ago; there are better JVM
options now.

I am a bit skeptical about that as a general approach.

If the situation were that Java programs were almost always correct
but that what took time was writing all the boilerplate code, then
switching to Scala would be an obvious choice.

But I don't see that. I see a large portion of Java developers not
mastering Java and switching them to Scala would be one big
fucking disaster.
So I would disagree with both you and Kevin that "streamlining" the core
language is all that important. You can't do enough of it to core Java
to make it worthwhile, without major changes. So why bother now? What's
important actually *are* those "high cost, high complexity EE
libraries", plus the later SE/EE-agnostic libraries like concurrency.

90% of developer productivity is achieved by adept and informed use of
what other people have written: libraries.

I completely agree.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

yes, but the lack of polish for the core language doesn't really make
using Java a particularly attractive option when contrasted against,
say, C++ or C#.

I don't think Java should worry about C++. For business apps, then
C++ is not really an option. And business apps is what Java is good
at.

C# is a pretty good language.
potentially, but if a person can choose freely, all the major language
options have libraries. not necessarily all the same libraries, but
libraries none-the-less...

Maybe in the SE space, but not in the EE space.

Arne

BGB

I don't think Java should worry about C++. For business apps, then
C++ is not really an option. And business apps is what Java is good
at.

some of us never go anywhere near business apps though...

for example, I am mostly at-present a game developer, with side areas in
audio/video processing (writing codecs, ...), and am also into things
like compilers and scripting VM technology.

these are generally areas where C and C++ have a much stronger hold.

C# is a pretty good language.

in general, yes, it is ok.

its main selling points IMO are its reasonably fast compile times and
ease of quickly throwing together GUIs in WinForms, ...

well, and also IntelliSense works in Visual Studio, but this ranges
between helpful and very annoying.

Maybe in the SE space, but not in the EE space.

AFAIK, Java EE costs money though, and I somehow suspect probably most
end-users have Java SE installed.

but, in any case, with the other languages there are a wide range of
libraries available, many under fairly open licenses (like MIT or BSD),
and there is a lot more GPL stuff available, although GPL has some of
its own issues (can't really use GPL'ed code in developing proprietary
software, ...).