The Seattle Brigade Chats with Bruce Eckel

Robert Klemme

Phil said:
Wow. Kudos to the Seattle.rb folks. It's great when you can move
someone from the "biased against you" camp into the "gee, the
language has some interesting features" camp.

Definitely. Although I have to admit that I find the selection of
features Bruce chose a bit strange. Although he mentions blocks this
would rather be something I had at the top of my list. Anyway, let's see
how this develops.

Cheers

robert

Jamey Cribbs

Robert said:
Phil Tomson wrote:

Definitely. Although I have to admit that I find the selection of
features Bruce chose a bit strange. Although he mentions blocks this
would rather be something I had at the top of my list. Anyway, let's see
how this develops.
I thought the same thing when I read his comments. To me, blocks are
the most useful feature that Ruby has over Python. His quick comment on
blocks indicates he probably doesn't "get" them yet. I know it took me
a while to understand how cool they were.

James Edward Gray II

Definitely. Although I have to admit that I find the selection of
features Bruce chose a bit strange. Although he mentions blocks this
would rather be something I had at the top of my list. Anyway,
let's see
how this develops.

Yeah, some of the examples bugged me too, like Array#dump (which is
just `puts array`).

Ah well, he tried to learn a little. Have to give points for that.

James Edward Gray II

Eric Hodel

Definitely. Although I have to admit that I find the selection of
features Bruce chose a bit strange. Although he mentions blocks this
would rather be something I had at the top of my list. Anyway,
let's see
how this develops.

Bruce and I spent a ton of time on blocks including syntax and use.
We didn't go over much ruby code, so I don't think he's had enough
exposure to blocks to see how they're commonly used.

It didn't come across in the writeup very well, but blocks was
something Bruce wanted lots of information on.